Please Explain???

Just a Six??

OK! Who Farted??
Hello all,
Can someone please explain the advantage/disadvantage of a non lock-up converter?? Are these more for race as compared to street driving?? Any general info on why to use the non lock-up over the lock-up?? I am considering a higher stall unit. Race only 1-2 times a year & have lots of mods.
Ta-49, neck, downpipe, bluetops, etc. etc.
I know absolutely nothing on the subject??
Any info would be great!:confused: :confused:

A non lock up CAN be built cheaper and lighter, but it has to be built by someone who knows what they are doing. A loose non lock up converter will make you miserable.

About 90% of all cars are better off with a lock up converter of some type. Most of them can go with an affordable (NOT cheap) reworked D5. The rest will need a 9/11 like Bruce's, or a 10" like I'm working on. That other 10% need a 9" or in rare cases an 8" non lock up.

If you are going only a few times a year to the track, it's kind of fruitless to sacrifice the fuel savings and wear on a non lock. You can save 8 to 10 pounds on a non-lock, but what advantage is that going to give you. Plenty of 9 and 10 second cars roaming around with our lock up converters in them. These guys have found no advantage to using a non lock. They actually like the fact they can totally lock up and have no lose of power from the converter. It just comes down to what line of thought you want to follow actually. To my way of thinking though, why sacrifice longivity and milage for no real gain? Mark :D

Thanks for all the input guy's. I'm learning about these converters that I knew nothing about before. Seem's I'm leaning towards a L/U for my needs! Just glad I have time to ask question's & don't need one right away!!
Thanks again!!:D