PCV Delete?

MNwe4

Hey guys, I have GN1 heads and breathers on both valve covers. Can I simply plug where the PCV goes and either plug the vac line or use it for something else... or does the PCV have to stay along with the breathers? Thanks.

Keep the pcv valve. It helps to scavenge gasses out of the crankcase more than just the vents themselves.

Last night i happen to be thinking about this as well.
with the pcv car idles at 14.5:1 a/f
I then plugged the pcv and the rpms dropped down and the a/f went to 11:1 at idle.
And the fumes were killer.

Kevin (gnwanted) did you get rid of yours? That's one thing I forgot to check out. I know Dan's is gone, don't know about Abe's.

I've read about people leaving them in and putting another one way check valve on there to keep from higher boost pushing past the pcv and pressurizing the crank case.

Other's say if you have breathers on both valve covers, your good to go. I didn't know if having GN1 heads make a difference or not.

The reason I bring it up is because of the slight oil issue I have. I know these cars leak sometimes, but mine is more than usual, and I've checked fittings and bolts twice. More spots on the ground after running the car harder and some light smoke when I lift and sometimes at idle. Maybe my pcv is sucking up oil and/or allowing the crank case to be pressurized under boost?

Thoughts everyone?

Mine is no longer hooked up, and I have seen no negative issues at this point. The positive is no more oil in the TB.

Yup, it's coming off hopefully tomorrow, for multiple reasons. It is most likely causing my oil leaks and burning problem. Also, with breathers in the valve covers, when the engine pulls vacuum, wouldn't it be a source for unmetered air??? Air comes in the breathers, up the pcv, and into the throttle body, along with some oil in my case. I know I can put a catch can on the line, but why add more stuff when I can remove it. Dan suggested I put a breather where the pcv is, makes sense I guess. In my case I won't be blocking off the vacuum line as it's also used for my bov.

wouldn't it be a source for unmetered air??? Air comes in the breathers, up the pcv, and into the throttle body, along with some oil in my case. I know I can put a catch can on the line, but why add more stuff when I can remove it. Dan suggested I put a breather where the pcv is, makes sense I guess. In my case I won't be blocking off the vacuum line as it's also used for my bov.

Yes unless you have speed density and you surely dont need it if your changing your oil frequently. I havent run one in 7 years. No oily mess in the intake and one less hose to blow off or leak.

i took mine off when i built the new motor. havent seen any ill side effects. if you want to keep it you can always get one of marks nice oil catch cans :)

Oil Catch Cans

Yes unless you have speed density and you surely dont need it if your changing your oil frequently. I havent run one in 7 years. No oily mess in the intake and one less hose to blow off or leak.

What do you call frequently? And is it a source of unmetered air?
I think the idea of no oil in the TB is a really exciting idea.

I have recently plugged mine. I had been running a new PCV valve and the 2lb inline check valve. Have had no side effects under cruising or WOT and have seen no oil out of the breathers.

IMO - don’t remove the PCV. I removed mine and after 150 miles on the street oil was way contaminated.

Call Tom at Champion, they make standoffs. Or buy different valve covers.

mine is no longer hooked up, and i have seen no negative issues at this point. The positive is no more oil in the tb.

same here , my car is fine , no more oil in the intake. I just run 2 breathers. Bison helped me out with this one thanks bro

i have two breathers on the car now and the PCV valve hooked up!!
i guess all i need to do is cap the vac line????

Can some one put a poll on this thread?

here ya guys go:)

Attachments

• PCV.jpg
    PCV.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 517
  • PCV 2.jpg
    PCV 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 510
Yup that's exactly what I did tonight, but I was able to get it under the fuel rail with two 90* fittings. Decided to take it for a cruise and all was normal. BUT....the car broke down again tonight while I was driving this time! Luckily it was only like 1/2 mile from home and eventually I got it running and made it back. BTW, this also happened before I did the PCV stuff guys, so it's un-related. See post "Code 42 Experience" where I thought we solved the problem the other night, but apparently not :(. I'll take some pics of my PCV setup and post tomorrow night.