passed everything but HC's

Fast4Ward

hollow cat...the following were done on untested egr..i teed back the solenoid vacuum into the system, street 94 octane chip leaned out and a couple degree timing taken out. am I gonna need da cat?
Driving Test:
HC max 193 tested at 152
CO max 1.30 tested at o.80
NOx max 1916 tested at 1250
Idle Test:
HC max 283 tested at 908
CO max 3.35 tested at 2.67

When you leaned out your 94 chip..that is just WOT settings correct? I would turn the boost way down and if your fuel pressure is still 43-45psi, turn it down to around 38psi.

Also, if its a newer chip, can you put it into closed loop idle instead of open loop?

Im sure those would help but your Idle HC isnt very close.

You're going to need a working cat. and EGR, and a smog chip.
The best smog chips I've used were stock 87 chips with the injector constant adjusted to match your injectors.

Lowest octane fuel you can find will help as well, just don't boost it... Highher the octane the slower it burns which increases the chances more HCs will exit the tailpipe.

You're going to need a working cat. and EGR, and a smog chip.
The best smog chips I've used were stock 87 chips with the injector constant adjusted to match your injectors.

+1 A stock BBKJ with the injector constant adjusted to match your injectors works very well. As Dave said your going to need a working CAT.

Help me out here, What is the deal?
Emissions test
Lowest octane fuel you can find will help as well, just don't boost it... Highher the octane the slower it burns which increases the chances more HCs will exit the tailpipe.
the drive test on the emissions dyno is done at 25 mph so the boost never goes past 0.
i forgot to mention the 4 litres of methal hydrate i put in there on a 1/4 of gas. it would be great if i can get to pass as the insurance for collector modified is only $300 per year.

So just how old does the car have to be where you are at before they stop doing the sniffer test, or do they ever stop in Canada?
Most states here stop after 25 years old or sooner.

Alcohol

Try using a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in the tank.Its worked a few times for me but not sure about a turbo car.

emissions?

No emissions test in Ontario vehicles after 20 years. what province you in?

Our is it some thing needed for classic car insurance?:eek:

No emissions test in Ontario vehicles after 20 years. what province you in?

Our is it some thing needed for classic car insurance?:eek:
i'm not sure what the limit is here is BC but i know 70's cars still go for emissions. here in BC if the units are under 1500 a 1989 TTA is a 15 yr limit for FULL collector car insurance...we are talking $200 per year. Collector modified is 20 year old i think. Check you local classic car insurance outifits. I only found this out as it is not advertised. GL.

Idle Test:
HC max 283 tested at 908
CO max 3.35 tested at 2.67

That is a lot of unburned fuel. A working cat will not fully cure 900ppm of HC, How's that O2 sensor working? Do you have an egr valve leaking at idle? Are all the cylinders firing? What are the O2 readings at idle?

my friend says to just induce a good vacuum leak to get air going through it as he does it with his Jeep YJ that he put a 1970 350 in. say he passes everytime. maybe i'll try that:cool:

my friend says to just induce a good vacuum leak to get air going through it as he does it with his Jeep YJ that he put a 1970 350 in. say he passes everytime. maybe i'll try that:cool:

So let me get this straight. Your vehicle already has a problem with excessive unburned fuel (HC) and you will induce a vacuum leak to dilute the fuel that is currently not burning. Obviously the fuel is not burning now, so how is more air going to get it to burn?

OMG, there's some f'd up advice!

So let me get this straight. Your vehicle already has a problem with excessive unburned fuel (HC) and you will induce a vacuum leak to dilute the fuel that is currently not burning. Obviously the fuel is not burning now, so how is more air going to get it to burn?
I don't know but i'm gonna try it ...LOL.

Please tell us you're kidding! :eek:
i gotta try whatever...will be working on looking at the egr and in process of buying a cat...i'm looking forward to bringing my 1200$ a year insurance down to $300 a year...car is qualified for collector modified insurance but have to get emissions.

A new cat won't last long, the excess fuel will melt that cat quick. What was the o2 readings at idle and under load?