Paint question

rwolak1

In the process of painting an '87 GN.

Question: it looks like there is "chip guard" on the lower portion of the car from the mid-door down. Is that how these cars came from the factory? If it is standard, does anyone know if there is a specific paint that should be used or is any "chip guard" OK?

Thanx

My stock / not repainted '87 GN has it. Don't know if it was an option or not,,though.

They all came off the assembly line with it. Many do away with it when repainting but its personal preference.

In the process of painting an '87 GN.

Question: it looks like there is "chip guard" on the lower portion of the car from the mid-door down. Is that how these cars came from the factory? If it is standard, does anyone know if there is a specific paint that should be used or is any "chip guard" OK?

Thanx

I used some spray can rock guard from NAPA on an S15 Jimmy I had painted years ago that held up very well.
The directions said to put it on in layers for desired texture. I tried that on some cardboard, but turned out too rough.
I kept applying one coat after another until it flowed together and it turned out smoother just like factory. I sanded / blended the top edge so there wasn't a sharp tape line as well.
Just some ideas.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM08949

IMG_3776.PNG

I used some spray can rock guard from NAPA on an S15 Jimmy I had painted years ago that held up very well.
The directions said to put it on in layers for desired texture. I tried that on some cardboard, but turned out too rough.
I kept applying one coat after another until it flowed together and it turned out smoother just like factory. I sanded / blended the top edge so there wasn't a sharp tape line as well.
Just some ideas.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM08949

View attachment 304225

Thanx for all of the replies. I wasn't sure if it was "factory" or not. I've used stone guard before and will redo the '87. Just some added protection for the bottom half of the car.