Paint polishing/claying/wetsanding

Wes

So im trying to figure out what to do .. first off what kind of paint did gm use on the gn's? it wasnt a base and then clear was it? anyways the car has original paint that isnt to bad just a little oxidation, i was wandering what i should do to shine the paint up more. i have been surfing autopia.org for a little bit so i guess my question is what kind of paint is on the GN? and will any of the things listed in the title of my thread do anything or which will do the best
thanks

Wes said:
So im trying to figure out what to do .. first off what kind of paint did gm use on the gn's? it wasnt a base and then clear was it? anyways the car has original paint that isnt to bad just a little oxidation, i was wandering what i should do to shine the paint up more. i have been surfing autopia.org for a little bit so i guess my question is what kind of paint is on the GN? and will any of the things listed in the title of my thread do anything or which will do the best thanks
------------------------------------
Claying is for imbedded/bonded contaminants and will not help oxidation.
Wet sanding/color sanding will solve the problem, but I wouldn't suggest that unless you have experience color sanding.
Most of the good glazes, such as Omega as sold by California car Cover Co or Meguiar's # 7, will generally remove oxidation. Meguiar's has a very good user site for help on all of their products. Also, 3m has a good glaze called 3M Imperial hand glaze, but I have heard that it works best by orbital power.HTH

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7011

Original paint was (correct me if I'm wrong guys) lacquer.
DON'T (repeat, do not) try this until others chime in, but I wonder what a diluted mixture of lacquer thinner would do to oxidation?

so im guessing that using a d/a and meguiers scratch x then polish would be a place for me to start.....

Wes said:
so im guessing that using a d/a and meguiers scratch x then polish would be a place for me to start.....
-------------------------
I would try it by hand first in a little area, but that's just me.
For only oxidation, I would definitely try something designed to remove oxidation. First, and if that doesn't work, then get something more abrasive.

Wes said:

If you're going to use a DA polisher then get use the #83/#80 combination and top coat with #21 synthetic sealant. ScratchX is made for use by hand, it will work on a DA but there are more effective products for use with a DA polisher.

On Dark colors you can topcoat the #21 with #26 carnuba (after an overnight wait for the synthetic to bond) for a little xtra pop it doesn't do much for light colors that I can tell.

Here's what you can do with a DA polisher and the above process. The subject is my wife's car. It had some really nasty swirls from a bad wash attempt. Process is striaght out of meguars 5 step paint care cycle.

Attachments

• suzy's car detailed small2.jpg
    suzy's car detailed small2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 200
Well, so much for my brilliant idea about using diluted lacquer thinner.
From a painter friend of mine -
"lacquer thinner could etch lacquer paint* requiring it to be buffed , which is the way to repair oxidized paint in the first place - unless the paint is too far gone . Thinner redused with H2o will separate with the thinner rising to the top."

Paint Polishing

Here's another option - Race Glaze Polish & Sealant -
Race Glaze Polish & Sealant is a one step Cleaner, Polish, and Sealant.
In one very easy process you can Clean all types of contaminants from the surface (chemically - does NOT contain abrasives), Polish the surface to a higher shine (polishing agent is finer than jeweler's rouge), and protect the
surface by leaving a crystal clear protective coating that will last on average
for 4-6 months on a daily driver. This product will easily remove oxidation,
both by hand, and with any type of buffer.
Also available is Leveling Compound, which is a very gentle/safe compound,
that breaks down (gets finer) as it is either buffed, or hand rubbed.
Completely safe on all types of paint - leaves surface with a shine,
does not produce any swirl marks.

Samples available for minimal fee to cover bottles & shipping.
rich@mr-shine.com