On demand Alky - How to achieve?

robertmee

Maybe this is a ridiculous question, but it would seem to be a decent idea....

With an electronic boost controller capable of remotely adjusting the wastegate, and a PAC kit such as Razors that can be turned off (with the gain switch), can a chip be setup to optimally run between a setting of say 'street' 15 to 17psi w/ no alky (controller set low, alky off) and 'race' 23 to 25psi w/ alky (controller set high, alky on).

I have the above setup on my car, but don't necessarily want to run alky all the time. I'd like to have it available in an 'on demand' fashion. I asked Eric this ? on TT board, and he indicated the alky chip would have too much timing for 'street-low boost and no alky' and the street chip would need adjustments (which mean not on the fly) when running alky.

There must be a happy medium that gives both driveability and some performance increase (albeit probably not optimum) when switching between the two modes that doesn't necessitate changing settings on the chip. Would be nice if there was a chip with a 'switch' input for running two sets of parameters.

I currently run an extender chip and also have an older 5.x TT chip. I just installed my Wideband and was wanting to upgrade, perhaps to the 6.0 TT chip, but now I don't know if the above scenario is possible or should I just order an 'alky' chip and run it all the time? What exactly will happen if I run an alky chip with advanced timing, but run low boost and no alky?

The Ultrachip would do what you want. Im sure if you send it to Eric he can program it with various calibrations to do what you want.

An ISAC controller will also give you control over the boost and methanol. You can just switch between programs or you can use the trim knob to turn the boost up and down.

"On demand Alky" .. why would you want that ?? soooo your driving along and a ricer pulls up with their weed wacker an you can't floor the car because the alky is shut off :confused: oh wait.. you can tell em to wait a min for you to turn everything on :p we beat the hell out of ours.. a driver.. really doesn't use that much alky :confused:

"On demand Alky" .. why would you want that ?? soooo your driving along and a ricer pulls up with their weed wacker an you can't floor the car because the alky is shut off :confused: oh wait.. you can tell em to wait a min for you to turn everything on :p we beat the hell out of ours.. a driver.. really doesn't use that much alky :confused:

Wouldn't take 2 seconds to turn 'everything' on. Press a button on the boost controller and turn the gain knob on the alky. Easy enough?

As for 'why', consider another family member driving the car. Don't want 25 psi blast w/ alky when the wife is trying to merge into traffic.

Wouldn't take 2 seconds to turn 'everything' on. Press a button on the boost controller and turn the gain knob on the alky. Easy enough?

As for 'why', consider another family member driving the car. Don't want 25 psi blast w/ alky when the wife is trying to merge into traffic.

That would be funny to see my wife hasn't had it past 5psi and she thinks it got into boost :rolleyes::biggrin:

Use an electronic boost controller and leave it set to "low" ie 13 PSI. If the alky sprays it will be so little that you wouldnt even notice the tank going down.

You get into the car, set the boost controller to "high" and your at 25 PSI. Same chip, same timing, same everything except boost levels. So if the car is a tad rich at 13 PSI.. big deal it wont hurt anything and your wife can beat on the car till the cows come home.

Now.. here is the issue.. having the EBC(electronic boost controller) allow a low boost setting. This can only be achieved with an external gate and a 10-13 PSI spring. If you have a diaphram actuator style gate.. aint going to happen.

My TTA was setup that way. I used a Greddy ProfecB SpecII and it had a button on it for low and high boost. Low was set all the time and didnt matter who drove the car. mash the button for high.. way different car. On mine I had a stock style actuator and low boost was 18 PSI and high boost 26 PSI. Just depends on your gate setup.

I really dont like the idea of constantly changing the tuneup on the car or alky settings. Once you have the car dialed in.. leave it alone. Drop boost if you like.. it isnt like your trying to make the car run optimal at low boost anyways.

Use an electronic boost controller and leave it set to "low" ie 13 PSI. If the alky sprays it will be so little that you wouldnt even notice the tank going down.

You get into the car, set the boost controller to "high" and your at 25 PSI. Same chip, same timing, same everything except boost levels. So if the car is a tad rich at 13 PSI.. big deal it wont hurt anything and your wife can beat on the car till the cows come home.

Now.. here is the issue.. having the EBC(electronic boost controller) allow a low boost setting. This can only be achieved with an external gate and a 10-13 PSI spring. If you have a diaphram actuator style gate.. aint going to happen.

My TTA was setup that way. I used a Greddy ProfecB SpecII and it had a button on it for low and high boost. Low was set all the time and didnt matter who drove the car. mash the button for high.. way different car. On mine I had a stock style actuator and low boost was 18 PSI and high boost 26 PSI. Just depends on your gate setup.

I really dont like the idea of constantly changing the tuneup on the car or alky settings. Once you have the car dialed in.. leave it alone. Drop boost if you like.. it isnt like your trying to make the car run optimal at low boost anyways.

Thanks Razor! That's exactly the setup I currently have, the Greddy ProfecB SpecII with remote. So, based on that, should I get the alky TT chip with advanced timing or the street chip?

X2 !!! one thing Ill add who is goin to jump in the car an floor it that hasn't driven it before?? My wife drives my daughters GN driver 9 sec car on the street .. Drives it like a normal car . Same tune up as we run at the track ! I know I am just getting older and don't understand cars anymore :p

Thanks Razor! That's exactly the setup I currently have, the Greddy ProfecB SpecII with remote. So, based on that, should I get the alky TT chip with advanced timing or the street chip?

Get the high timing chip if your Greddy allows the boost to go low enough.

Thats the "IF"

IF your minimum boost is like 20 PSI, then get a street chip.

Then get the high timing chip and leave it set to 17 PSI with the alky on.

Worse case is it uses a little alky at 17 PSI. Even if it ran out of alky and did detonate a little.. you wont hurt it at 17 PSI. 17 PSI is not enough to get you into trouble. Not like the 25 PSI.

I wouldnt be worried. Just keep the greddy away from those with itchy fingers :D

Razor...

Can you elaborate a bit on what is possible regarding controlling boost with a stock wastegate, downpipe, etc. with an electronic boost controller? Assume a stock engine with the typical alky mods (your kit, TT chip, fuel pump, AFPR, hotwire kit, injectors, etc.) but nothing else. Can such a setup be run at a low of around 15 PSI and a high of around 25 PSI? If not, are there any mods that can be done to allow it to operate that way, but without using an external wastegate?

Does the EBC matter? Can the same be done with the GReddy EBC or the AEM Tru Boost EBC?

Thanks,
Ira

My SMBC electronic does what you want more or less. Off & stock wastegate rod setting so leave it at 15 lbs
On & its dialed into whatever you like with dual solenoids. You get 12-13 lbs adjustment range. Just leave alchy on at all times.
15 Off 25 On real simple stuff for me. Altho, its always on 25! ;)

My SMBC electronic does what you want more or less. Off & stock wastegate rod setting so leave it at 15 lbs
On & its dialed into whatever you like with dual solenoids. You get 12-13 lbs adjustment range. Just leave alchy on at all times.
15 Off 25 On real simple stuff for me. Altho, its always on 25! ;)

Think you mean MSBC :D

www.fullthrottlespeed.com

As long as you can bleed off enough, that will work. Sometimes stock gates dont allow that much range.

When you use a stock style wastegate you have to overcome limitations. And something you have to work with.

Think you mean MSBC :D

www.fullthrottlespeed.com

As long as you can bleed off enough, that will work. Sometimes stock gates dont allow that much range.

When you use a stock style wastegate you have to overcome limitations. And something you have to work with.

Or maybe the BSTC. I found another post from "Just a Six" where he said it was a BSTC. They aren't being sold anymore, but it looks like there are some still around for sale.

Looks like the BSTC works differently from the other electronic boost controllers I mentioned. They don't have a pressure hose attached.

Ira

I had the BstC on my car when I sold it. I set everything up to race (timing, fuel, etc) and left it that way. Turned the BstC down to 17-18 and while it was still pretty strong at that level, it was pretty safe. Turn the knob up on the BstC and I was at 24-25psi and it was an animal. No other tuning necessary.

I had the BstC on my car when I sold it. I set everything up to race (timing, fuel, etc) and left it that way. Turned the BstC down to 17-18 and while it was still pretty strong at that level, it was pretty safe. Turn the knob up on the BstC and I was at 24-25psi and it was an animal. No other tuning necessary.

Thats what I use

So I've picked up a few pieces to set up this hi/lo control capability...a BstC boost controller, another OEM solenoid, and Casper's wastegate solenoid 2-way splitter. I want to stick with a stock internal wastegate.

If I want to have a low setting of 12-14psi and a high setting of 22-24psi, do I need a standard adjustable wastegate actuator or a HD adjustable wastegate actuator?

Is there anything else I need to set this up?

Thanks,
Ira

Standard actuator becuase a HD one cannot be turned below 18 psi