Old Car Craft magazines

turbosam6

My cars suck
I was cleaning out the garage over the weekend, and found some old Car Crafts with TR coverage. Its funny how innacurate they were. There was a writeup on one guys GNX, where they stated that the stock 3.8 motor was pulled and sent to Duttwieler to be bored and stroked to 274", with M&A heads. Car ran low 10's, high tens on STREET TIRES. Obviously this was a stage 2. It was a real GNX, according to the owner, who's name I've forgotten. Then I have the one with the writeup of Duttwielers red stage 2 car, pretty cool. I also found an issue with one of the first rse events, where Heath Elmers car won 2nd place. It had big brakes, and a TA49 with some 009's, pretty stock otherwise. I think he ran 12.9 on street tires, but he killed them in the mileage category! I noticed that they don't have mileage in the "new" rse shootouts. I bet no one could match a TR close enough to not get creamed! I think TR powered cars won over half the rse events, or something like that. It was fun to read all the stuff I read in high school, wishing I had a fast car. I'm still trying to find one I had with some street race cars in it, where some guy had a GN that looked stone stock, except for some draglites, and it ran 10's or better, he was sandbagging. It was a stage 2, and had an aluminum hood, which they said was one of five or six made. It was an awesome car. I also found some of my lowrider truck magazines, god what was I thinking? Glad I never did that!

SELL those mags on EBAY, don't forget to mention turbo buick in the title & they will sell for more :)

I still have every Car Craft issue dating back to May '82. I remember way back when they had a couple of TR's in Real Street Eliminator.

Sadly enough, my subscription ran out in March and I missed the 50th anniversary issue :(

Hopefully they will print my entry to "Stupid Gearhead Stories". :D

Steve

Car Craft Mags

I have a proposal to make. Are they in pretty good condition?? Cuz if so, I'm actually tryin to find some stuff with TR's, but havent been able to get much. If you're willing to sell 'em im willing to buy'em. Just let me know. Cuz i dont have any mags from "back in the day" because this is my day, since im only 18. Anyways, let me know.

They are in pretty rough condition, I think only one of them even had a cover, and they were folded up, so theres creases and stuff. The coverage isn't great by any means, and highly inaccurate, but it was cool to see them in there. They got beat a lot since I had to "hide" them in high school, teachers get pissed when you're reading Car Craft instead of whatever the hell I was supposed to be learning. I need to go over to moms house, that where most of my car mags are, I only took a handful from there when I moved out, I have boxes somewhere over there. Unless mom threw them away. My parents never "got" the car thing.

Whats funny is how god awful the other cars were in those mags. Cheeesy graphics, undriveable pro-streeters, slow as hell street cars. The stage 2 GNX in there had some 17" GNX style rims that were sweeeet. I would love some for my car, but I imagine they are no longer available. sigh