ok SBC gurus... what can cause this? *pics inside*

AZ Vic

so... what are your opinions? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• gear small.jpg
    gear small.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 268
Originally posted by AZ Vic
so... what are your opinions? Thanks in advance!

Was it a blower motor?.
SBC can have a *habit* of tearing the crank snouts off.

If not a blower motor, then can you get any really good close ups?.

hencho in mexico... that's too funny.

This was a COMPLETELY bone stock 350 in my 1989 bucket truck. I maintained it very well and had done the timing chain and water pump about a year and a half ago. I have put about 20-25 k on it since then, it is almost at 80k now. I also idle for extended periods of time as I move from pole to pole and work on the CATV system. Sometimes it will idle for an hour or more. I also use a "high idle" solenoid that will bump my idle up to about 1000 rpm or so so my lift works a little quicker.

here is a photo of the gear, the others were a little out of focus when I would zoom in on them. I can get some really close ups if you would like.

I am suspecting my clutch pump for the hydraulic bucket lift. If I get a new crate motor, would I have to worry about this with it as well?

Thank you for your time,

Vic

Attachments

• close up gear.jpg
    close up gear.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 198
Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR
bingo

seen a few of them do that

seems they had a problem for a while with the mexican castings

I agree with Red 110%. Ive seen two or three suspected "mexican" cranks break while pulling a low hp vehicle along the freeway at 55mph. No accelleration, shifting, beating was taking place just steady state driving then BAM.

One that comes to mind was a 305 in my grandfathers 78 nova. Th350 trans, 2bbl carb, 2.73 gears, and was lucky to wheeze out ~90hp. It broke the crank while being driven to the family reunion with granny in the passenger seat so it wasnt like he was beating it at the track and it broke from abuse.