OK, enough time has passed

Hard to say. I do know for a fact, because I saw it, that Carfax has a disclaimer on cars from the county New Orleans is in. It says something to the effect of "this vehicle was registered in a country deemed a flood area by FEMA. Do a thorough inspection of the vehicle before buying." Sure it's a warning without assurance but it sure is hurtful to a seller of a vehicle that was not damaged in flood waters. Carfax sells sizzle, not steak. Imagine if your personal reputation was stated in a similar manner; how pissed would you be? "He comes from a town where 1,000 murders occurred last year; check to make sure he's not a murderer too". :mad:

I've seen several truck loads passing through Jackson headed north on I-55 and east on I-20. Not sure where they were going.
John

John Larkin said:
Hard to say. I do know for a fact, because I saw it, that Carfax has a disclaimer on cars from the county New Orleans is in. It says something to the effect of "this vehicle was registered in a country deemed a flood area by FEMA. Do a thorough inspection of the vehicle before buying." Sure it's a warning without assurance but it sure is hurtful to a seller of a vehicle that was not damaged in flood waters. Carfax sells sizzle, not steak. Imagine if your personal reputation was stated in a similar manner; how pissed would you be? "He comes from a town where 1,000 murders occurred last year; check to make sure he's not a murderer too". :mad:

That would explain previouslt owned cars. What about the new unregistered vehicles? A much smaller percentage for sure but those cars have to surface somewhere

I've seen many flooded cars and trucks at the local salvage yards here in north MS. There's no question about it when you open the door of the vehicle. The smell is the first thing that you notice. After that, the interior is covered with sediment. Many of them have bodies that are in great condition.
Kevin

There's a warning in a recent issue of motor age magazine about the possibility of getting sepsys from any skin abrasion coming in contact with a car exposed to New Orleans flood waters. Supposedly the sewage and dead bodies makes for an unusually strong presence of harmful stuff at NO vs. regular flood waters and a firefighter working on a wrecked flood car died from it. It sounds like the stuff urban legends are made of, but it has been well circulated in the auto repair profession so it might be possible. Just a heads up.

bob