oil pressure gauge hook up

VernLee

The plug wire goining to my oil pressure sending unit has three wires looks like a headlight plug but my sending unit (VDO ) has only one wire to hook to how do you hook this up ???Vern

Oil Pressure switch!!

Vern,

This plug you're talking about, is it the stock wiring, if it is, this plug goes to the original oil pressure switch. It only turns on a light in the dash if the pressure falls very low(5 psi I think) It also goes to the fuel pump relay as a redundant input the fuel pressure relay. If you have an aftermarket(VDO) gauge that your installing, just run the one wire from the new sender that came with it to the S terminal of the gauge. The gauge will also need a 12vdc signal that comes from Ignition(I terminal)
and a good ground.

Most people unhook this original oil pressure switch. Especiall if you hotwire your fuel pump. Either way you really don't need it. Hope this helps.
John

thanks John, yes it is a stock wire harness ( New after market ) the VDO gauge was already in the car, the car caught fire so I didn"t have any wire coming from sending unit to judge by, and yes I have a walbro 340 pump with hot wire harness, so what your saying is don"t woory about three prong original plug just run one wire from sending unit to gauge, hot wire,and ground, and I'm all set, correct ??Vern

Yep, that's the way I did mine as well, just left the original 3-wire plug dangling.

That's it!!!

Vern,

You're on the right track now. I have the same setup just autometer gauge and my 3 prong plug is dangling. Like I said it just turns on the light in the dash. Some people have posted that they put a tee in there and kept their factory switch but imo you dont' really need it.
My advice would be to get a Chassis Service Manual or their is a guy on the board who has it on CD I think(do a search) but I have both volumes of the Chassis manual one word "invaluable".

John

does anyone know where i can purchase one of these guages

i looked at jegs and summit but they dont have alot of pics on their site..