Wiring issue

GN86Rome

Question replaced OME oil pressure sensor with new oil pressure sensor from speedhut for oil pressure gauge. We this effort starting? My understanding is ECM has to receive signal to close or open a relay. So is it ok to cut off plug off and tape it up?

IMO you should have plumbed the gauge in with the OEM sensor. cheap & easy to do with brass fittings. That way you get the benefit of a gauge but still keep the idiot light.

You take the plug off you lose your idiot light indicator on the dash. As for the ECM I'm not sure what it needs to see in that regard. Someone else with deeper knowledge will hopefully chime in.

IMG_0767.jpeg

Thanks for the response I’ll send you a picture of my configuration once I’m finished.

That sw is a bypass for the fuel pump relay.
Should the relay fail, cranking the engine until it provides about 4 psi oil pressure, will close that switch and start the fuel pump prime.

Engine & fuel pump will run with the oil pressure switch disconnected. As chuck mentioned the oil p switch just acts as a backup in case the fuel pump relay fails.

Be sure to tie down the disconnected wiring so it can’t flop around and possibly short out against something. If it shorts it will pop your fuel pump fuse.

Probably best to keep the switch functional and just tee in your gauge

Appreciate the response guys yes to be safe I’ll pipe in the old switch as well thanks