Oil filter blew, all oil dumped...Goodyear oil change..suggestions?

CONCEALED WEPN

Had Goodyear change my oil, I supplied the synthetic, I requested them to match the bigger filter that was already on. Wrong filter (put Volkswagan filter on) blew up, big smoke on the highway under boost, guy behind had his windshield wipers on, coasted down exit and pulled over.

What should I ask them as compensation on my 18k old motor? I did not hear any knocking, but less than 1/2 quart dripped out when stopped. I have both filters and took pictures.

Oil everywhere. I will want a new under hood pad, total detail of motor and underneath.

Suggestions please.

Thanx,

Todd

"suggestions please"...have the manager actually teach the 17 year old how to properly 'cross' oil filter numbers for future reference. You will be knocking before too long now, so use your best 'future' judgement on your settlement with the manager. Change your oil yourself in the future and don't be wondering where the 'witness' paint came from on the bottom of your oil pan when you get underneath...you already know.:cool:

I'd have them pay for an engine teardown/inspection. (bearings, cam lobes etc.) just to be on the safe side. Or you could just peg it w/ no oil and make em pay for another engine. Be sure to remind them that it was a stage 2 block w/ a skat billet crank under gn1 heads though;) ;) ;) ;)

Be sure to remind them that it was a stage 2 block w/ a skat billet crank under gn1 heads though

the oil goes threw the turbo to so your gona need a new custom polished ball bearing turbo:D

Thanx guys,

Funny stuff in between wanting to cry...
Just drove back to Wisconsin from Bowling Green Nats, raced my very first time with my no posi peg leg. Best of 3 runs: 13.34 at 101 mph with 2.01 60' and a .546 reaction time. :D Way too much fun!!!

I would appreciate more suggestions on my poor 87 TR Ltd so I can print them and show the Manager what the experts recommend. Ahhhhhhhhh, could you leave out the "blow it up on purpose and ask for stage parts and ball bearing turbo's out for now..." ;) Thanx,

Todd

Wow , Luck like mine. Sad to say , but a compromise deal is probably what will occur. I built my gto engine, broke it in for 800 miles, fueled up with 93 and punched it. My new engine just detonated worse than i ever heard any motor on itas 1st wot. I had the fuel tested it was 88 octane. They wanted implicit proof of damage-motor actually didnt pop anything. I settled for 1/2 the cost of a ring, bearing job. These idiots will probably send out inspectors to evaluate engine damage. Your engine probly is still in running condition but you need to be compensated for engine depreciation. If they dont meet you halfway, get a lawyer and threaten an engine teardown that you "know" will reveal advanced engine damage. Of course, if you have advanced damage showing up for sure, then pursue the full amount. I just know it can be a grey area when motor still runs. Theyll just see "running VS dead". And we know there's a diff.
Their was a time in America in which craftsmen were paid well and performed their jobs well.

<sigh> this is pretty sad, knowing full well that some amount of normal engine life will now not be realized.
I don't blame you for wanting the convenience of having a shop change your oil. It should be a no-brainer.
I agree Rick Cain's comments on the declining state of American craftsmanship. Whatever happened to good old American pride?
I have witnessed firsthand so-called 'engine mechanics' that don't know which way to turn a bolt! You know, "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"...that sort of thing.
Or, how about the 'machine' shop that put the pistons in backwards, even tho the pistons had arrows labeled "front"? Sad.
I believe you'll have to work with the manager, write letters to his district manager, and be flexable about a compromise. You might find there is some small print that limits their liability.

Why don't you try to set up a mileage warranty with them. You may have hurt something, you may not have. If your oil pressure is up to par, most likely no damage occurred. In which case, much to do over nothing. If the motor "seems" to run well, probably is fine. The important point is that you receive an assurance they will cover future repair should something show up. They screwed up and should be held 110% accountable. Try to determine a reasonable amount of time to allow for any problems that they will take care of. Just an example, I blew my main oil feed line to the motor 2 years ago at Etown making a 130mph pass. The line let go at about 100ft, emptied my oil pan out, finally lifting at about 3\4 track, kinda got a feeling something was wrong as the flames in the car were getting a "little" hot. I got the car home, repaired the mess, filled it up with oil, "it was empty" and went on to race the car for another year and a half without removing the valve covers. I made about 400 more passes. When I finally pulled the motor this winter to freshen it up, the bearings looked as good as the day they were installed. Many suggested I pull it out and check for the damage they were certain I would find, glad I didn't waste my time.
No doubt someone made a mistake with your car, if they are willing to work with you, then work with them. Settle for nothing else than full coverage should a problem arise.
hope this helps,

Originally posted by Steve Hill
<sigh> this is pretty sad, knowing full well that some amount of normal engine life will now not be realized.
I don't blame you for wanting the convenience of having a shop change your oil. It should be a no-brainer.
I agree Rick Cain's comments on the declining state of American craftsmanship. Whatever happened to good old American pride?
I have witnessed firsthand so-called 'engine mechanics' that don't know which way to turn a bolt! You know, "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey"...that sort of thing.
Or, how about the 'machine' shop that put the pistons in backwards, even tho the pistons had arrows labeled "front"? Sad.

It is sad. Every single time I take my car to a "professional" to work on I wind up with more problems and stress. I know there are good guys out there somewhere, but they're just not around here.

I do ALL of my work myself - down to oil changes. I've found that no one cares about your car more than you do, so if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

That being said, I made the mistake of taking my '99 Buick to the GM dealer a few weeks ago for some front end work. It was making noise and there are a lot of things up front that can cause a banging noise. I didn't have the time or $ to replace parts at random until it went away. I wanted the "professionals" to make a diagnosis and fix it. I already know I can't trust the local "mechanics", so I figured the dealer was the way to go (that premium parts and labor rate has to buy me something, right?).

So, in about 15 minutes I'm headed to said GM dealer for the 3rd time to correct something STILL loose and banging around on the front end. I paid them $1,600 to NOT fix it on visit #1. I brought it back and they took care of the original complaint (all it needed was a steering shaft packed with grease) on visit #2. After visit #2 I had a NEW banging noise, which they are now going to take care of on visit #3. No one has offered to compensate me for the $1,600 worth of parts they replaced that didn't take care of the original problem. This morning's discussion is going to be loads of fun.

To the original poster: get a lawyer. And make sure you complain to the Better Business Bureau if (when) Goodyear balks at compensating you. You really need to get full $ for a complete rebuild. You can get many experts to testify that running an engine with no oil for ANY period of time is going to dramatically reduce its life.

Jim

hmmmm interesting replies.... I would be very nice talkin to them...See "IF" they will do anything ....
Now if ya wanna go in there ranting an screaming welllllllllll.... they "might" just say "this is a modified oilin system... an you brought your own oil.. sooooo "so sad to bad"
next time I would get your butt under there an do it yourself :p

Originally posted by turbojimmy
It is sad. Every single time I take my car to a "professional" to work on I wind up with more problems and stress. I know there are good guys out there somewhere, but they're just not around here.

I do ALL of my work myself - down to oil changes. I've found that no one cares about your car more than you do, so if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

Jim

THIS IS THE LESSON TO BE LEARNED.

So sorry to hear!

You might also have them pay for a mechanic to drop the oil pan and look for bearing material or other goop.

I was in Madison until last summer and had a good relationship with a local shop and mechanic who owned a GN. I bet he could write up a to-check list for the folks at the oil change place and they might appreciate the estimate coming from a local shop. If nothing else, he can drop the oil pan and make other suggestions without fouling your GN up more.

Try Joe at: Archer Auto Repair, 5380 B King James Way (Verona road and PD, by AMS) number was (608) 271-1101, but they're in the phone book. He's careful, thorough, and respects GNs! The Ford guys at Performance Plus are also nice folks and fun to talk to.

Good luck!

Scott Scrivner

One big reason to not let anyone else change your oil is the grease job. They dont clean the zerk fittings before hitting it with the gun, and they dont make sure the grease even goes in. It is amazing how long front end parts can last with just bi-yearly Home grease jobs.
Back to problem, i say get a lawyer if they balk in the least. One of the best things is that your engine is new so they cant claim prior damage.

Originally posted by CONCEALED WEPN
Had Goodyear change my oil, I supplied the synthetic, I requested them to match the bigger filter that was already on. Wrong filter (put Volkswagan filter on) blew up, big smoke on the highway under boost, guy behind had his windshield wipers on, coasted down exit and pulled over.

What should I ask them as compensation on my 18k old motor? I did not hear any knocking, but less than 1/2 quart dripped out when stopped. I have both filters and took pictures.

Oil everywhere. I will want a new under hood pad, total detail of motor and underneath.

Suggestions please.

Thanx,

Todd

I had a similar EXPERIENCE<> but the blame lies with ME

It was just about a Year ago, when I LOST ALL of my oil during a "HARD PULL" on my TURBO RIVIERA, IT was not due to wrong oil filter, but due to me NOT using a 20 cent hose clamp on a rubber 1/2" oil hose to a REMOTE oi filter mount.
I went about 30 seconds after I heard my motor and turbocharger SCREAMING with destructive NOISE.
I STOPPED THE CAR, and lucky for me had 3 quarts of spare oil and a new oil filter in the trunk, THE TURBOCHARGER was TOAST, it was totally destroyed, BUT the engine was OK< I GOT a NEW jOHN CRAIG center section and 13K miles later EVERYTHING is still OK with the engine, NO ENGINE DAMAGE.

YOUR turbo never even came close to getting wiped out and you did not LOSE all of your oil, JUST a MESS<
CONSIDER YOURSELF very LUCKY
YOU SHOULD BE JUST FINE
IT IS JUST A HORROR STORY TO THINK ABOUT Though

AS FAR AS THE GOODYEAR SHOP, THEY WILL not do **** ABOUT ANYTHING EVER, SO JUST FORGET THAT, you may get a replacement free oil change, but anything else is just LIP SERVICE, TRY TO COLLECT ANY MONIES , even with a LEAGAL JUDGEMENT is a SLIM CHANCE

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN AND WHAT's going to happen are two different things,and
the more time that passes between when it happened and the present is in favor of THEM

I BET THE WORKER DRONE VO-TECH school dropout PEON'S that serviced your car put on a 3/4-16 thread fram 3600 filter on there!

SORRY to RAIN on your parade with all the NEGITIVE predictions, BUT , REAL WORLD life experience tells me that NOTHING will HAPPEN in your FAVOR as far as them paying for anything ever.

THAT aside, PLEASE HAVE GOOD LUCK with your CAR

REGARDS

UPDATE ON MOTOR DAMAGE

The motor started smoking on start-up, was one qt down in 1100 miles, mostly highway. Probable valve seal.

I could not risk the "$3 grand"cost of tearing down the engine just to find no damage to the crank that was obvious. I would have to go to court to argue over microns and pay a lawyer and pay for the total rebuild except the obvious valve problem. No thanx. :mad:

My mechanic told me that I could be sure there was damage to the crank if I heard a knocking sound. Other than that it was a total crap shoot whether I could see crank damage.

So all of a sudden there was this horrible knocking sound. It was very loud and kept getting louder. The sound that normally would lead a guy to scream real loud and then empty their wallet. :eek:
I just drove it to my mechanic with a big smile on my face. :D

We shall see what their 3rd party "impartial appraisor" has to say.

Thanx for all the good posts (some brutal hey ;)) I will change my own oil ALL the time, and buy a grease gun and clean off the fittings too.....

Todd

Was it a company owned Goodyear or a private bussiness with the goodyear name?
I work for a company owned bussiness(Firestone), and if we did something like that, you can bet you will be taken care of especially if you call there district office.
Good luck and sorry to hear what happened.

Originally posted by Grumpy
next time I would get your butt under there an do it yourself :p

I agree with the Grumpy man 110%. Do it yourself..
Don't let a 17 year old rice boy play with your pride & joy.

I hate quick oil change places. They spend more time trying to sell ya crap rather than doing the job at hand.

Re: UPDATE ON MOTOR DAMAGE

Originally posted by FAMLYKAR
The motor started smoking on start-up, was one qt down in 1100 miles, mostly highway. Probable valve seal.

I could not risk the "$3 grand"cost of tearing down the engine just to find no damage to the crank that was obvious. I would have to go to court to argue over microns and pay a lawyer and pay for the total rebuild except the obvious valve problem. No thanx. :mad:

My mechanic told me that I could be sure there was damage to the crank if I heard a knocking sound. Other than that it was a total crap shoot whether I could see crank damage.

So all of a sudden there was this horrible knocking sound. It was very loud and kept getting louder. The sound that normally would lead a guy to scream real loud and then empty their wallet. :eek:
I just drove it to my mechanic with a big smile on my face. :D

We shall see what their 3rd party "impartial appraisor" has to say.

Thanx for all the good posts (some brutal hey ;)) I will change my own oil ALL the time, and buy a grease gun and clean off the fittings too.....

Todd

So a month of WOT startups is beginning to pay dividends I see:D

Yep, lucky for me it was a corporate owned store. The claims and liability dept is sending out the "3rd party" appraisor. I don't trust the set up but I have all the oil filters and my mechanic states the damage is quite obvious.

And yes, I did have to test and tune the car this month to make sure it ran ok. Just like every month. :D

Todd
Damn, I see that sometimes I am FAMLY KAR and sometimes CONCEALED WEPN on this thread. I have shortcuts for both on different computers. I'm so confused! :confused:

My X-girlfriend took the computer (it was hers). I sure miss it. (The computer that is );)

What was the part number of the wrong filter?

Originally posted by FAMLYKAR
Yep, lucky for me it was a corporate owned store. The claims and liability dept is sending out the "3rd party" appraisor. I don't trust the set up but I have all the oil filters and my mechanic states the damage is quite obvious.

And yes, I did have to test and tune the car this month to make sure it ran ok. Just like every month. :D

Todd
Damn, I see that sometimes I am FAMLY KAR and sometimes CONCEALED WEPN on this thread. I have shortcuts for both on different computers. I'm so confused! :confused:

My X-girlfriend took the computer (it was hers). I sure miss it. (The computer that is );)

Since you have the wrong filter there in your mits, WHAT WAS THE PART NUMBER of the one that flew off?

Regards