octane vs boost in california

gndeligirl

Here in california gas is only getting worse. At 91 supreme its hard to get much boost. xylene is tough to get and not cheap. What are some of the tricks if any out there?

Originally posted by gndeligirl
Here in california gas is only getting worse. At 91 supreme its hard to get much boost. xylene is tough to get and not cheap. What are some of the tricks if any out there?

Get into chip burning and really understanding what Tuning means.

Once you get to having all the tools, and some experience all the headaches about gas are just laughable.

Takes time money and a real want to know, but EFI tuning is a piece of cake once you get into it.

DirectScan, and a Prom tuning Package will get you going.

I've gone a little overboard on getting EFI tuning right, but it can be fun and really addictive.

What about making the intake charge cooler, like with a cold-air kit and/or an intercooler water sprayer?

5 gallons of Xylene at Sherman Williams (paint store) sells for about $30.

Recipe for 100 octane:
3 gallons Xylene (117 octane)
7 gallons 91
2 ounces marvel mystery oil (MMO) makes 100 octane.

Over the long run a good alchy injection kit is your best bet. But 100 octane and alchy...... :D look out kids.

performance ain't cheap.... but thank God the GN/TType is the cheapest way IMO to go very fast.

-GNX7

Chip Burning..

Just think.. when GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc, REALLY learn how to tune an engine, they won't have any more problems with gas quality, or with the "gas guzzler" tax on their high performance vehicles. Guess they don't have enough money, or experience, or expertise, or test instruments.

I get 110 Oct at the pump (with a large bowled funnel:D) 50/50 mix with 91 = 100.5 octane. Run a thrasher chip, so no 02 code.
Works out for me to be $ 3.00-3.10 gal.

Still in the long run, as gnx7 stated, alky is the way to go for the $. For me, I can't fathom running 25 # of boost on 91 pump gas w/ alky and the alky pump fails:eek: Hey if its mechanical, it can fail.

Originally posted by 1BADDAM
:eek: Hey if its mechanical, it can fail.

Two folks near me BOTH took out thier motors when thier Alcohol systems failed!!! :eek:

Theres really NO getting around Race Gas with our cars, if you want to go fast!!

Now, like Bruce said above, you Could spend 200 or so bucks for the software and spend 10 or MORE hours leaning how to make your own Thrasher type chips, but...realistically most of us don't have the time, or money!

Thanks all for the info. I am still not sure if I want to go to the trouble to remove my cat and ruin my o2 sensor for race gas. But I have some good ideas thanks to you all. THANKS

Re: Chip Burning..

Originally posted by Ormand
Just think.. when GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc, REALLY learn how to tune an engine, they won't have any more problems with gas quality, or with the "gas guzzler" tax on their high performance vehicles. Guess they don't have enough money, or experience, or expertise, or test instruments.

This is so laughable I don't even know where to start.

What you seem to be forgetting is that the car manufacturers have a set of EPA rules to play by. They also have to tune for everyone. You buy a car in North Carolina and buy the same car in Arizona, its the same car. They have to take all the octane variances into account as well as climate, altitude, etc when putting together a calibration.

We (We being the hardcore chip hackers) don't play by those rules. Just the fact that you want to make an attempt to insult Bruce's statement shows that you have no idea how knowledgeable he is or how much can be done through chip tuning.

I have several people running 19-20 PSI on 91 octane in California using my variable timing setup. Could I do it without the variable timing setup? Sure. When you're dealing with an individual car and not tens of thousands rolling off an assembly line, things tend to be a little different. Roll in all the EPA hoops the auto manufacturers have to jump through and you're talking about a whole nother ball of wax.

"several people running 19-20 PSI on 91 octane"

Jay, have you found this to be possible with the stock turbo, intercooler and cam? It seems like it only becomes possible when people upgrade to more efficient intercoolers, bigger turbos, cams etc. (Carl Ijames has talked about that.)

Just curious...:)

Eric

Most of the guys Ive done setups for have mild to heavily modified cars. I think it could be done on something close to stock using the VT setup. I wouldn't want to try it on a non VT chip.

18# is about all I can get on 91 octane with all the stock stuff. This is with a Thrasher 92, and a cold California night:D.