Noob Question>> NA 3.8 with TUrbo

RenR

Heavy Pressure
Has anyone every put in a N/A longblock in their T with turbo? how did it run? did it handle the stock boost pressures alright??

Reason im asking is my 83 got some rod knock. I could get a n/a running motor for under 500 bux or rebuild this one for 3k and up. I really dont want to spend that much just to end up with a stock engine. And I need it to be near stock for smog purposes..

it will run, but you need to be very light on the pedal. one good round of detonation and the cast pistons will melt down. not to mention it usually doesnt have the heavier turbo crank.

but a NA block with turbo guts stuffed into it will work just fine.

A.j.

Plenty of poeple have run NA engines under SFI/IC set ups with success and gone fast.

I was going to suggest seacrhing the General Tech, but the search engine won't look for NA or non-turbo.

Plenty of poeple have run NA engines under SFI/IC set ups with success and gone fast.

I was going to suggest seacrhing the General Tech, but the search engine won't look for NA or non-turbo.

I must suck at life........ mine didnt make it to the end of the street.

:frown: A.j.

a lot of guys have goen fast with a NA (non-109 as well) block, and NA crank. I would definitely use some 2 dot turbo rods and turbo pistons. I am guessing the stock NA compression pistons would be a bit higher, but could be wrong. Hell, give it a shot. If it melts, you aren't out much, right? I am considering this while awaiting my next build, just for fun. :)

I must suck at life.

:frown: A.j.

Well you were A.F. after all.:eek: :tongue: :D :eek: :p :biggrin:

I was going to suggest searching the General Tech, but the search engine won't look for NA or non-turbo.

Yes you can but you need to beef it up a little, and Rich is very right about several people runnig them in SFI cars. Doing a search might work and if you don't find what you need look at the bottom of the page after the quick response box and you'll see simular threads. You might find the answer there.

Well you were A.F. after all.:eek: :tongue: :D :eek: :p :biggrin:

Yes you can but you need to beef it up a little, and Rich is very right about several people runnig them in SFI cars. Doing a search might work and if you don't find what you need look at the bottom of the page after the quick response box and you'll see simular threads. You might find the answer there.

LMAO! how ya been charlie! LOL

well it wouldnt be normal if we all didnt start as a newbie I suppose.... thats where I got my Boosted NA lesson..... they dont forgive mistakes to well it seems.

LOL

:biggrin: A.j.

OMG!!! HE DOES EGGSIST!!! LOL Been working a little to much lately Aj. I'll admit I've been lurking to much but I've got a few things going right now. Cross your fingers. I may be teaching at a college this fall. My old alma matter is looking for some instructors and I might be one of them. I might just earn my nickname of "proffesor" after all. LOL
Hijack over.

When I say NA block, I mean that. NA long blocks. Motors pulled from junkyard for $100 and stuck in an 87 TR while the 'turbo' motor is being rebuilt.

Maybe they were lucky, or maybe they were tuned just right, but there have plenty of stories of people pushing stock NA motor fairly hard.

If I can ever find a running 4.1 for cheap, I'm dropping it in as is. :)

I know where a non running one is but you have to come to Texas to get it Rich. About 30 miles south of me. Just sitting in a junk yard and I've been thinking of getting it for a back up on the one I have now.

BUMP, no one ever run a completely junk yard 109 with stock pistons? Got my curiousity now... How much boost could it handle? If I wasn't limited to what wrenching I could do in this neighborhood, I'd try it just to find out.

BUMP, no one ever run a completely junk yard 109 with stock pistons? Got my curiousity now... How much boost could it handle? If I wasn't limited to what wrenching I could do in this neighborhood, I'd try it just to find out.

I did. and it **** on me.

LOL

thats what i was saying up there, I think there was some mistakes to the way I had the tune going, but i cant say forsure as it was a non efi turbo. I made it to about 11lbs of boost before #3 gave way.

detonation? not sure.... probably.
dropped valve? something keeps making me think this is what it was.

but it was a bad first try at boost anyways, would have probably survived if I had more experiance.

:wink: A.j.

Could be a fun experiment, as long as someone didn't torch their "good guts" on this. 11psi is surprising, I was figuring less. Does anyone remember the compression difference between the NA and the turbo pistons? Probably not too far off...

i just may have to try this. if i keep it under 10psi and run some 91 octane, low heat plugs, it should be ok. I keep you guy updated when i start this project.

Make sure the computer is working!!!!!! If your NOT going to use a computer to pull timing, Ditch the 7pin HEI module and replace it with a 4 pin unit or you will be chasing a forever advancing ignition timing, I've been there with all of the blown headgaskets to prove it. Or go with a non hei distributor.

Make sure the computer is working!!!!!! If your NOT going to use a computer to pull timing, Ditch the 7pin HEI module and replace it with a 4 pin unit or you will be chasing a forever advancing ignition timing, I've been there with all of the blown headgaskets to prove it. Or go with a non hei distributor.

your a genius.

my explained lifted head.

A.j.

OOO I remember more stuff I did to help. If you switch to the 8441 heads AND use felpro 9441pt headgaskets You will dramatically increase the boost and detonation threshold. Quick examples on my car. I've run 20psi boost AND sprayed 100 shot of nitrous succesfully many many many times with 16 degress of timing total on 93octane. Only when the car leaned out one time because of a half plugged fuel filter did it go bad. Which is where I'm at now with a dead #2 hole on my 231v6, But I still did not blow a head gasket!!! or ruin the head. I can't say the same for the piston rings in the cylinder I'm sure there are none

OOO I remember more stuff I did to help. If you switch to the 8441 heads AND use felpro 9441pt headgaskets You will dramatically increase the boost and detonation threshold.

No sh!t? What's it do, drop compression?? I did this to the 82 block I put in my car. It runs like a raped ape. Definitely faster than my lt1 trans am