Non turbo Regal performance

b4black

Hello, I have a 1984 3.8 non-turbo Regal limited. I recently purchased an edelbrock performer intake manifold but need other parts (from the carb. to exhaust).  What else can I do to my car to improve the performance. I've looked everywhere and can not find products that fit my engine/car. I appreciate your help. Thank You

Brendon

PAW industries carrys a cam for the 231 N/A 3.8..... u can and shuld put a 4.1 intake and 4bbl carb on it.. youll pick up some HP there... exhaust is good... MSD or any oher hiperf ign....stall converter and a good shift kit.. and dont forget a upgraded ECM. that will get u up and goin

The only upgrade ECM that I know about is the 87 ECM. The hotair guys can upgrade to the 87 ECM & sensors so that they can see more data thru T-link and improve preformance. I don't know if it works on the N/A's.

Carbureted engines use the CCC system (Computer Command Control). The 84/87 TR uses an EFI system. They are not interchangeable.

GM computer PROMs have their own special language(s) which they did not share with the outside. You can look at PROM files, but they will be gibberish, unless you know the langauge. Poeple have decoded the EFI langauge and that is why it is so easy to burn custom PROM chips for EFI.

Nobody has, and probably won't, decode the CCC. There is not enough interest. The mosy common car using CCC is the Monte Carlo SS and it's 305 SBC. They don't care about the timing table, fuel mixtures, etc. There approach to performance is to remove the CCC components and install older, lower tech items. Pull the 305 and put in a 350 crate motor.

The SFI/Turbo V6 Regal owners didn't have that option, so neccessity forced them to learn new, high tech way to tune an engine. And they done a pretty good job.

There are some aftermarket chips for CCC, but I haven't heard any positive results and wouldn't consider them worthwhile. :(

I searched high and low on the Internet to see if anyone has decoded the CCC system. NO ONE HAS! You're absolutely right Rich. We'll just have to deal with it. It's o.k. for now.

Maybe someone, someday will offer a true upgraded PROM for these earlier Regals.

The heck with those ugly V-8's, they belong on boats.....is'nt that what those later MC/SS's are anyway ....boats?....