No start

Honestly, if your cam sensor is turning when you crank the engine, I doubt seriously your timing chain is at fault. There is a rule in troubleshooting, always try the easy obvious things first.

The stock cam gear is nylon, I would inspect/replace it with the mileage on this motor if it isn't already replaced.

Chuck

I highly doubt the timing chain is at fault, in fact im almost positive. but the car does have a crank seal leak so it couldnt hurt to get in there. I no im missing something because i didnt have spark one day and the next day it did. i am going to lookk at the grounds tomorow and seal up the front of the motor. it needs it anyhow. York PA, where did you purchase your double roller from? And once again thanks for all the help fellas.

When the nylon gear takes a sh*t some of the teeth go missing and it jumps timing, I've seen pictures posted on here or the other board. So you can watch the cam go round and round but that doesn't mean the cam gear didn't take a sh*t on you. I got my last timing set at FULL THROTTLE SPEED - ROLLMASTER BUICK STANDARD CHAIN
Good luck with this, you will get it going again, it's the guys that give up that don't get them going....

Chuck

Well finally got time to pull this thing apart last night and halph of the teeth on the cam gear were missing. Glad i didnt buy any parts yet. So in the morning im going to order a double roller. I thought i woul of seen this in my compression readings but I guess not. Thanks for the help everyone.

Well finally got time to pull this thing apart last night and halph of the teeth on the cam gear were missing. Glad i didnt buy any parts yet. So in the morning im going to order a double roller. I thought i woul of seen this in my compression readings but I guess not. Thanks for the help everyone.

Double rollers come in different lengths, there is a chance that when you put the 1st one on, the timing chain will have to much slack or not enough, if your lucky it will be just right. Again don't use the timing chain tensioner with the double roller chain, it will chew it up.

Chuck

Double rollers come in different lengths, there is a chance that when you put the 1st one on, the timing chain will have to much slack or not enough, if your lucky it will be just right. Again don't use the timing chain tensioner with the double roller chain, it will chew it up.

Chuck
Really? well i ordered it from full throttle. So what do you do if this happens? Just send it back and tell them it was to long or short? And I did a search on timing chain replacement and i read that some people had to purchase a cam button Do you no if this is neede with the one from full throttle?

Really? well i ordered it from full throttle. So what do you do if this happens? Just send it back and tell them it was to long or short? And I did a search on timing chain replacement and i read that some people had to purchase a cam button Do you no if this is neede with the one from full throttle?

Jay,

The cam button keeps the cam from walking (moving) to far foward, it's just a round cap with a spring behind it that goes in the end of the cam shaft. You might as well replace it while you are right there, it's up to you really.
Call Mike at full throttle and ask him, on my last build I had a standard double roller on hand and it was to loose, so I got the next size smaller and it was perfect. Mike will bend over backwards to keep you happy!

Chuck

Jay,

The cam button keeps the cam from walking (moving) to far foward, it's just a round cap with a spring behind it that goes in the end of the cam shaft. You might as well replace it while you are right there, it's up to you really.
Call Mike at full throttle and ask him, on my last build I had a standard double roller on hand and it was to loose, so I got the next size smaller and it was perfect. Mike will bend over backwards to keep you happy!

Chuck
OK thanks man chain should be here tommorow.

Get a roller cam button, the stock junk spins with the cam and eats the cover...Since you motor hasn't been apart you will most likely be fine with a stock length nice chain.

I will try the crank sensor first. I had my car to go dead while driving on the highway and not start back up and it was the crank sensor. My dad had the same problem before and he tried everything coil, module adjusting cam sensor. I told him the crank sensor but of course he didn't listen until I said just try it and what you know I was right.

Anyone still into this thread? If so here is my issue on my 86. was running, shut it off. went to restart and no go. It has no spark, does have injector pulse- which would mean cam and crank sensors are good right? Wiggled the connector at icm, no luck. Do you guys think the module is bad? how exactly do I test the coil also. It has been replaced before by the way. Thanks mike