No Power off the line

I have NEVER installed stock heads on a turbo Buick. I will at least spend 4 hours cleaning up the bowls even if the customer refuses to pay for it.( can't remember that even happening though) because it makes such a huge difference. With the heads off did you at least check the valves and seats? Do not install valve seals on the exhaust valves unless you machine the guides AND use stainless or TTA valves. It is so much work to pull turbo, headers, accessories, manifold and heads that why not improve the heads. You KNOW you will want more power soon anyway. With the heads off I also trim the sides of the rocker pedistals, too. Easier to upgrade to roller rockers later.
I would verify the gutted cat converter, too. What exhaust system do you have? Just unbolt the exhaust behind the converter (look inside to verify its gutted) then drop the exhaust down and bolt it to the lower bolt holes and take it for a test drive. It'll still be quieter than most fart can imports.

Ok, car is running. Definitely has more power, throughout the rpm range. I am more and more convinced the torquw converter is most of my lack of power down low.

Unfortunately I have a nasty vacuum leak at the PCV. I used a new Kirbans grommet and PCV. I ordered anotyher grommet and am waiting for it, maybe the one I used is defective?

I also installed a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. I haven't upgraded the fuel system yet so it is all stock and at idle I have 32 obs of pressure. Is this low or is it ok?

...I also installed a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. I haven't upgraded the fuel system yet so it is all stock and at idle I have 32 obs of pressure. Is this low or is it ok?

Rail gauges are iffy; I prefer to get the base close ands then fine tune off the chip, but that's not how most do it. As far as the pressure, I think IIRC, factory base no vacuum is 38psi, so you probably measured it w/ the vacuum line still on, correct? If so, that's a normal fuel pressure. You can go to a 237 regulator or get an adjustable one from Kirban or another vendor.

Unfortunately I have a nasty vacuum leak at the PCV. I used a new Kirbans grommet and PCV. I ordered anotyher grommet and am waiting for it, maybe the one I used is defective?
What makes you think the leak is at the pcv? Can you hear it sucking? How can a grommet be defective? Kirban's grommet is supposed to have the proper size hole so I can't see how it could fail.

Yes I checked the fuel pressure with the vacuum hose connected. I'll check it disconnected tomorrow.

You can hear the vacuum leak. Also when spraying gum cutter at where the pcv goes into the grommet smooths out the idle.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yes I checked the fuel pressure with the vacuum hose connected. I'll check it disconnected tomorrow.

You can hear the vacuum leak. Also when spraying gum cutter at where the pcv goes into the grommet smooths out the idle.

Maybe put some gasket maker (or silicon sealant) on the grommet?

Slide a hose over the valve guide and suck the valve back up into position.

Hey, THEE FLY. You have a zero post count and you show up just to say something that I've seen me do... can't be done?

You're going to be a fine asset to the collective knowledge base.

Hey, THEE FLY. You have a zero post count and you show up just to say something that I've seen me do... can't be done?

You're going to be a fine asset to the collective knowledge base.
I'm not sure if I'm as buzzd as I tink I am...wt does thut say....earl is quating earl..quoting ..

Some zero postcount expert had to throw his .02's in about a trick that will save hours in labor, $100 in gaskets, bunch of fluids and a set of headbolts.

A trick that I've seen me do.

When I replied, it didn't show his stuff, just my text.

It just cheezes me off with people try to cloud up a tech forum.

Have another beer. I know I will :D

Im not Sure what I missed but what ever earl has to say is gospel to me. :)

don't even mention that hottub right now...

....I've got to get that thing drained, cleaned and refilled by tomorrow. lol

There's lots of legal ages.... old enough to drive, ole enough to vote, old enough to buy beer.....

Here's the two vacuum lines I asked about earlier in the thread. T hey both come out together from underneath the a/c unit on the passenger side. I don't remember where they go.

Attachments

• 1404814655010.jpg
    1404814655010.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 1404814674533.jpg
    1404814674533.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 124