NJ Newbie

mike331

Hey guys just bought my first GN '87. Car has 56,000 miles on it and its a t-top. Stock motor & turbo, Alky Injection, 50lb Red Armstrong Injectors, XP Fuel pump with hot wire, hooker exhaust, terry huston down pipe 3", has a chip dont know what type yet. Turbo is putting out 20lbs of boost. Rear air bags, and trans has a shift kit dont know what type. ScanMaster not 2.1, VDO Boost, volt, water, oil gauges. Thats it.

So my first question is i want to change out all the fluids, plugs, wires, filters and anything else i can think of just so i know it was done.. Any sugestions on typs of fluids, parts, etc.

Second is i want a turbo tweek chip for the car. I was thinging about the street chip but i dont know if i want the alky Injection on at all times. the only part of the car i want to varify is the injectors that they are 50lb. Dont know why the guy put that size on a stock car. How do i check to find out what size they are?

And third any one know of any good mechanics in north NJ that i can have start me off in the right direction with a tune. I just dont want to mess anything up in the very beginning.

Thanks

You need to find out what injectors are in the car and if the turbo is stock.Once you know what you've got let Eric at turbo tweek know and he will make you a chip that is sweet! You should use a zinc oil additive with your motor oil. Have fun.

So my first question is i want to change out all the fluids, plugs, wires, filters and anything else i can think of just so i know it was done.. Any sugestions on typs of fluids, parts, etc.

On a "new to you" car, I'd follow the standard spring cleaning guide to make sure you are starting out with some peace of mind. That will also help familiarize you with the car as you get dirty. Check here -> The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

Everyone has their opinion on fluids, but you can't go wrong as long as you get quality stuff, like an oil that has plenty of Zinc for the flat tappet cam. Royal Purple, Brad Penn, Roush High Zinc Performance oil etc.

Next, you can look on the injector body and see if you can see any stamped numbers or at least take a picture so we can see what they look like.

Where on Jersey are you? I'm in the Wayne area and could help you out with some stuff. I'm no expert but have learned alot from this board and my own trial and error stuff.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm in Pompton lakes, I also have access to a lift. So if a knowlegable member can help, with the tough stuff the shop I use is in wayne also beside stage 1

Do you live on Lincoln in pompton? I work for cablevision and I usually work in the pompton area. Thought I saw a gn there once.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys

I live up in Paramus I just called Stage 1 and spoke to Dan. Rob was not in..
I really think i need a turbo tweek chip. The car feels real restricted.. Also i have to put the CAT back on and get it inspected.. If anyone is free this weekend i can take a ride up if you want to check it out.

Email me @ mike331@vzw.blackberry.net and BBM is 3053FD7B

I gotta work this weekend but if your in wayne usually the gn is at the sheriff dept on hamburg tpke, I usually do about 85 on that rd to get to work

Mike, you don't need a cat after aug 20yr old cars are exempt from emmisions also I know a private place to go to. I don't have a cat on my gn. And where did you get this car from?

Unfortunately I work sun to Thursday and signed up for ot this Saturday. Hey nonova youra sheriffs officer, my brother in law works there he is k9.

rob i saw nothing in the new rules that take effect exempting emission test

classic yes but you need to apply and car must be over 25yrs for that although i've seen an 86 gn with QQ tags already
collector (safety and emission exempt) yes but you must apply to Trenton- be approved -and carry collector insurance and limited mileage so they will inspect for a working odometer and your credentials(collector inspect voucher, insurance card, NJDL) . once the vehicle turns 25yrs you have to give up the sticker and go classic tags or go back to regular inspection

over 20yrs i see no exclusions but you only need to do tail pipe test for emission no dyno , you will need a cat and a well tuned car and chip

but starting aug 1 they will only inspect emission , no more mechanical

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Inspections/FAQinspection.pdf

I have my CAT so thats not a problem.. The big thing is the 50lb injectors..
maybe ill try a turbo tweek emisions chip and see what happens..

Ralph (KROM415) whos up by the lakes came down here and i popped on a cat that i use only for testing and he passed at state facility in Dayton with the std TT chip with his 50s (they failed him for mechanical for wiper blades.. go figure ). no other changes other than putting on a cat

Well paul you would know your are the local gn guru, paulie is right my mistake. Any local advise I would ask paul hey know these cars better than anyone else

Ralph (KROM415) whos up by the lakes came down here and i popped on a cat that i use only for testing and he passed at state facility in Dayton with the std TT chip with his 50s (they failed him for mechanical for wiper blades.. go figure ). no other changes other than putting on a cat

Well now i know who i can steal a cat from for a day when i'm due :biggrin:

Welcome! I'm in Hackettstown and commute thru Wayne everyday. I just put a Pypes SGG50R catback on my 87. Highly recommended, besides a few fitment issues. My Cat is hollow, after having a run in with a screwdriver 20 years ago. :rolleyes:
I recommend you get "collector" registration, then you won't need an emissions test. You'll have to prove the car is of limited production and you'll only be able to drive it 4000 miles a year. Insurance is cheaper too!

Also, My cuz is on the job too... Bergen county (River Edge)