Nightmare...Gauge Cluster Removal!

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/ignition_switch.htm

the Scanmaster reports the voltage the ECM tell it to. It doesn't actually act as a voltmeter. Any voltage drop between the battery and the computer is what you're seeing on the display.

So I took my multimeter and went from neg battery to the nut on the back of the alternator and got 11.8volts... Now I did have my alternator tested before and it tested good... This is the stock alternator, so does this mean its bad?

If so what alternator should I install?

Thanks!!

Before I bought a new alternator I would look through these troubleshooting guides just to be sure your efforts in the dash had the effect you desired. Sometimes it is best to go back to basics.
upload_2014-6-28_18-40-52.png
upload_2014-6-28_18-42-17.png
upload_2014-6-28_18-42-43.png
upload_2014-6-28_18-43-14.png

So I took my multimeter and went from neg battery to the nut on the back of the alternator and got 11.8volts... Now I did have my alternator tested before and it tested good... This is the stock alternator, so does this mean its bad?

If so what alternator should I install?

Thanks!!

I haven't followed the whole thread, but how did the Alt test good? Did you take it out and bring it to a parts store?

Sounds like your still fighting the dead end field issue with the alternator.

Quick fix is the casper field fix which is awesome

Another way to do it is just like I did. (per another members suggestion). The current alt pig tail probably have a 1 wire on it. Go to advance auto while testing your alt again =) and ask for a alt pig tail for a 95 Camaro. It will be a three wire. Splice the wire from the F terminal on the new pigtail to an ignition +12v source. I used the PINK / BLACK EGR wire. then splice the other wire back to the correct terminal and your field issues should go away. Don't use butt connectors, solider it.

Was the engine running when you measured 11.8V?
Yep engine running lights on blower on, I read to make sure it's got a load on it. But I also did it with no load.

I took the alt to a parts store and they threw it on the test machine and it came back good... This was a few months ago but I've had this problem ever since.

I haven't followed the whole thread, but how did the Alt test good? Did you take it out and bring it to a parts store?

Sounds like your still fighting the dead end field issue with the alternator.

Quick fix is the casper field fix which is awesome

Another way to do it is just like I did. (per another members suggestion). The current alt pig tail probably have a 1 wire on it. Go to advance auto while testing your alt again =) and ask for a alt pig tail for a 95 Camaro. It will be a three wire. Splice the wire from the F terminal on the new pigtail to an ignition +12v source. I used the PINK / BLACK EGR wire. then splice the other wire back to the correct terminal and your field issues should go away. Don't use butt connectors, solider it.

Yeah I took it to the parts store.

My battery light is on now that its got a good bulb.

The red, green, black wires are for the optical pickup of the VSS system. They go to a small green plastic box near the back of the radio.

This optical pickup is attached to the back of the speedometer with a single screw. The hex head should be either 1/4" or 7 mm. It is easier to undo the screw then to try and fish the wires & buffer box out of the dash.

Also, I've never dropped the steering column, just used the tilt feature to drop the steering wheel all of the way down.

RemoveBeforeFlight
I know this is a old thread but I am installing a dakota digital dash in my GN and have run into some problems..Biggest problem is not know what wires are which! I was searching for answers when I can across this thread. I was curios what that plug was for the VSS optical plug..Is this cable needed? What exactly does it do..I am also trying to figure out what that set of wires is that are attached in a harness near the tach and boost gauges...There are about 8 or 9 of them..Can you tell me what colors are what?
Much appreciated!

The VSS pickup and buffer are required to send the vehicle speed to the ECM and cruise control.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Look at the post a couple down from this one "Dakota Digital Instructions Are Horrible". Should have all the info you are looking for.

The VSS pickup and buffer are required to send the vehicle speed to the ECM and cruise control.

RemoveBeforeFlight
lol..I started that thread!
I am trying to figure out how I connect that VSS pick up and buffer to the control unit on the dakota..Also figure out what wire behind the dash cluster that was originally the tach wire that connects to the dakota...