Nightmare...Gauge Cluster Removal!

Wahoo

I'm trying to remove my gauge cluster because I heard that the Battery indicator light is in series with the electrical system/charging system. My car has low voltage, so thats why I am doing this.

Now I don't know If I can believe that anyone has ever done this before, because its such a nightmare, I'm in such a bad mood I want to murder things! Here is how far I am currently and what was done.

1. Remove dash bezel
2. Remove padded dash surround
3. loosen nuts on steering column (underdash) to drop it down an inch or so.
4. Remove the screws for the gauge cluster. Also remove screws for the black plastic bracket the cluster is mounted to, also vents are mounted to along with some switches.
5. Push speedo cable clip forwards towards front of car, cable should release.

Now get fucked by the harness that is wrapped around themselves with no room to get to, and get scared shitless in thinking you will never get it back together if you go any further....Thats where I'm at. Heres pics!

Last Pic - See the Green black and red wires(left), they go behind the black plastic and then wrapped around the wires to the white connecter(top rightest connecter) That top rightest connecter is the other harness that is in the center of the picture connected to the wires that are taped twice(blk electrical tap) with the Yellow green black white and probably other colors..........

Any input?

Last edited:
i just replaced my limited dash with a avc gnx,its frustrating at first but taake your time.that black thing that has all those wires around it comes out also.

those black plugs come out ,pinch the little black things pull them forward,thenonce they are pulled through towards you turn sideways and feed back through.what exactly are you trying to do?

i just replaced my limited dash with a avc gnx,its frustrating at first but taake your time.that black thing that has all those wires around it comes out also.
Yeah I know it can come out but the wires are through holes in it so it has to be in there until I get the wires unhooked and then pull them with the cluster out. The harness to the left of the cluster with the red black and green wires goes all the way to the right in what seems to be a very tight area and I just had to take a break. I feel like this has to be the hardest thing to do with these cars. Mine is an '85 I don't know if that makes a difference.

those black plugs come out ,pinch the little black things pull them forward,thenonce they are pulled through towards you turn sideways and feed back through.what exactly are you trying to do?
What black plugs?

if your interested by the way i have my old instrument cluster for a limited with the PRD21 on it with the 145MPH,overlay.
everything works and i believe its got about 62000 on the speedo

thats only if your pulling the whole plastic thing out,to see wires easier in the back
Oh you mean to just un do the set screw and disconnect the harness from the back of the cluster?

I guess I might be able to do that now. I'll check later.

The red, green, black wires are for the optical pickup of the VSS system. They go to a small green plastic box near the back of the radio.

This optical pickup is attached to the back of the speedometer with a single screw. The hex head should be either 1/4" or 7 mm. It is easier to undo the screw then to try and fish the wires & buffer box out of the dash.

Also, I've never dropped the steering column, just used the tilt feature to drop the steering wheel all of the way down.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The red, green, black wires are for the optical pickup of the VSS system. They go to a small green plastic box near the back of the radio.

This optical pickup is attached to the back of the speedometer with a single screw. The hex head should be either 1/4" or 7 mm. It is easier to undo the screw then to try and fish the wires & buffer box out of the dash.

Also, I've never dropped the steering column, just used the tilt feature to drop the steering wheel all of the way down.

RemoveBeforeFlight
I don't think my car has tilt steering.

So the red green and blk I can disconnect from the back of the cluster but the other one I don't think it can?

Last edited:
I'm doing this to try toget to the contacts on the cluster/connecter to clean any corrosion off them. My blinker lights don't work on my dash and I'm getting low voltage. My gas gauge is also out of wack, I believe my battery light also doesn't work.

I don't think my car has tilt steering.

So the red green and blk I can disconnect from the back of the cluster but the other one I don't think it can be?

Ah, lack of tilt would be an issue. My biggest problem is always the stupid speedometer cable retaining clip.

Other then the optical pickup (one screw), the only other wires would be for the boost & RPM gauge. There is a connector for it, but dang if I can remember where. It might be inline with the cable for it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ah, lack of tilt would be an issue. My biggest problem is always the stupid speedometer cable retaining clip.

Other then the optical pickup (one screw), the only other wires would be for the boost & RPM gauge. There is a connector for it, but dang if I can remember where. It might be inline with the cable for it.

RemoveBeforeFlight
I unplugged the white connector in the 4th picture toward the top right of the pic. That wire is wrapped around the other. It originally was plugged into a black connector at the right lower dash area.

I don't know if it'd help with getting past the column shifter but if you set the parking brake and then put the car into 1st with engine off it might give you more room to get the cluster out if you dont have a tilt steering wheel. Just a thought.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've had my cluster out a couple times. First is the worst and hardest. The wiring for the RPM and boost gauge connects behind the radio. When you pull the radio out you can find the right connector by wiggling the wires. Its a pia to get the connector apart for it, but once you do use one hand to fish it up to the cluster. The vss thats bolted to the back just unbolt it and pull it out. Once the vss is disconnected you'll have more space. Steve woods vortex site has a write-up too. I have mine pulled apart at the moment if you needs pics

I've had my cluster out a couple times. First is the worst and hardest. The wiring for the RPM and boost gauge connects behind the radio. When you pull the radio out you can find the right connector by wiggling the wires. Its a pia to get the connector apart for it, but once you do use one hand to fish it up to the cluster. The vss thats bolted to the back just unbolt it and pull it out. Once the vss is disconnected you'll have more space. Steve woods vortex site has a write-up too. I have mine pulled apart at the moment if you needs pics

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/dash_swap.htm

This is the how to you're talking about?

I don't understand what the buffer is? Says to find the buffer, disconnect the two connectors from the harness and pull the cluster out with the buffer?

The buffer is the VSS thats bolted beside the speedo cable.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403393478.936948.jpg

Other half looks like
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403393512.518370.jpg

You can leave that one plugged in under the radio.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1403393619.682239.jpg

Thats for the tach and also plugs in behind the radio. It fits through that plastic panel.

The last wire attached is a single bulb alone that is for the check engine light. Should be home free after that.

So the 3 things needed to be removed are check engine light bulb. That White connector in your last picture. And then I can pull the small screw out the back of the cluster and unplug that connector with the red blk green wires?

Then I don't need to mess with anything with the radio right.