itlbtu2

Hi all, First and foremost I just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Dustin Rose and I just bought an 84 Grand National (only 60,000 miles:D ) a couple of months ago. I allready have the engine out of it and am debating the 3.8 rebuild or to go with a 4.1. I'm looking for advice here and would appreciate any help. I'm not looking to set any land speed records with this car, but I would like to make the hot air community proud. I'm also interested in any intake options that might be out there and even head options.
I also know i'm beating a dead horse on this subject but I operate a propane business and i'm interested in running propane instead of alky. Is there any severe disadvantages to propane?? I have heard of a few saying that once the car is running quick times, the bottle freezes up....I have the solution for that. So is there any other disadvantages??

Thanks

Dusty

If money is no obstacle to you do the 4.1 if it is stick with the 3.8. If you do the 4.1 you will have to have custom forged pistons which are not cheap. Other than that in terms of power you will only gain 40-50 hp over the 3.8 but gobbs of low end torque. Is it worth it that's up to you. Your intake choices are none you may pick up a used custom intake from somebody but a ported stock one does fine.

Propane or alky? Alky all the way !!!

propane is fine. i can run 28psi on 93 octane gas with the propane kit in my car without problems......

not to mention you run a propane biz so why not?

I would port match the stock intake and heads. Upgrading the heads also helps. Look at my signature for info to get you started. Brad

What 4.1 blocks should a person look for, this has always confused me.

The later years 83-84 casting no's 291-484 are preferably better than the 81-82 blocks due to improvements in the oiling passages and also more reinforcing ribs on the block. (And that did'nt take 2 pages) hee hee !!!

TType84, what kind of a propane kit do you have or reccomend?? Does it have any type of electronics? or just a regulator?

Thanks

Dusty

Hi all, First and foremost I just wanted to introduce myself, My name is Dustin Rose and I just bought an 84 Grand National (only 60,000 miles:D ) a couple of months ago. I allready have the engine out of it and am debating the 3.8 rebuild or to go with a 4.1. I'm looking for advice here and would appreciate any help. I'm not looking to set any land speed records with this car, but I would like to make the hot air community proud. I'm also interested in any intake options that might be out there and even head options.
I also know i'm beating a dead horse on this subject but I operate a propane business and i'm interested in running propane instead of alky. Is there any severe disadvantages to propane?? I have heard of a few saying that once the car is running quick times, the bottle freezes up....I have the solution for that. So is there any other disadvantages??

Thanks

Dusty

Have you perused the 'Alcohol, Nitrous and Propane Tech' forum? If you can't get a good answer to your propane question there, I'll be surprised.

Regarding the intake, there have been a few alternatives made but those companies are no longer in business. All were modified hotair intakes. You may be able to pick up a used one in the 'For Sale' forums. Porting and gasket matching a stock HA intake will yield big gains too. Same goes for the heads.

Good luck.

TType84, what kind of a propane kit do you have or reccomend?? Does it have any type of electronics? or just a regulator?

Thanks

Dusty

the propane kit is pretty simple..

a controller is set to a certain boost level... there is a regualtor on the tnak as well as a nitrous pill in the line... i can take pics if needed.

basically...

tank in the trunk -> 1 gauge showing tank pressure -> solenoid -> outbound pressure -> line -> nitrous pill.... i use a pretty small pill.. will have to check for you later but it is a very simple setup :)

www.turbosix.net there is a page for the porpane setup