New to the TTA, couple questions-

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
Well I am pickin up my first TTA. I've had a number of turbo buicks in the past so I know a thing or two, but have never had a 3rd gen fbody of any kind. Been lurking the TTA area for the past week, and am trying to find out a couple things:

1) what is the FASTEST a 109 block TTA has been 1/4 mi?

2) besides subframe connectors, what else should be done to the chassis on a car that is going to be drag raced to stiffen the chassis? I will not put a cage in it, and I know the car is unibody, so I'm wondering what things people typically do beyond bolt in suspension components and subframe connectors.

3) what is the typical weight of a ttop 89 tta with leather interior?

Thank you,

Cliff

cliff i weighed my car before i put my subframe connectors in, and with me in the car (200#) IIRC it was like 3470 lbs, my supra with me in it was about 3760# so its a fairly light car for the size! subframe connectors and the wonder bar helped out a ton! and if your looking for a tta with these mods and others done pm me! :) im not far from you

Mine weighed right at 3500 without me in it. Maybe a 1/4 tank of gas in it.

cliff i weighed my car before i put my subframe connectors in, and with me in the car (200#) IIRC it was like 3470 lbs, my supra with me in it was about 3760# so its a fairly light car for the size! subframe connectors and the wonder bar helped out a ton! and if your looking for a tta with these mods and others done pm me! :) im not far from you

1 tta for now is enough, already at my limit for garage space lol, but thanks for the input. What is a "wonder bar"? The car I am picking up has subframes and a hotchkis adjustable panhard rod, and billet lower control arms as well as a 9" rear.

Yes I run 255/50/16s on stock wheels. But there is a 295/50/16 DR out now. I think it is a 28X10.

Pretty happy with the 255s? I have a 3.23 gear, and would like to run the 255s. Are they pretty consistant at the track, and have you tried launching the car on the street much?

Pretty happy with the 255s? I have a 3.23 gear, and would like to run the 255s. Are they pretty consistant at the track, and have you tried launching the car on the street much?

I am pretty happy with them. They are pretty consistent at the track. But I dont launch super hard either. Usually 1.6X 60fts. I did get a low 1.5X at GLD when the track was prepped good. My suspension is all stock too. I replaced the shocks and springs with stock replacement stuff. The rest is original.

I am pretty happy with them. They are pretty consistent at the track. But I dont launch super hard either. Usually 1.6X 60fts. I did get a low 1.5X at GLD when the track was prepped good. My suspension is all stock too. I replaced the shocks and springs with stock replacement stuff. The rest is original.

Ok cool. good to know. Thanks for the input.

Nobody has responded on what the fastest 109 TTA is yet? from snooping around looks like a few low 10 sec cars, and maybe 1 or 2 have been 9.9Xs?

Jacajew i think was his screen name ran real low 10's maybe a 10.0

the wondar bar is a brace for the streeting box it twist alot without this brace. I got minefrom globalwest along with the weld in SFC's

Jacajew i think was his screen name ran real low 10's maybe a 10.0

with a 109 block ??? Christafaldi (sp) from Md. I think ran low tens way back at the GSCA meet that was in Columbus, Oh (the year they changed BG to try another dragway) ... Long time ago. With the tech out now I would think it could be done.

Interesting. I'm suprised there aren't some 9 sec 109 TTAs out there.

I've been 9.30s @ 147 with my 109 ttype, and believe me I don't plan on going nearly as far with the TTA as I did with the T, but I do think I'll be able to click off a 9.90 on E85 and radials when all is said and done. At least that's the target. lol

There was a guy with a Firebird and a GN motor ran in the 9's.

I ran 10.5 at 132 quite a few times.. never could get more MPH out of it

Jicaju runs a Stage 1.. his has run mid 6's in the 1/8.. low 10's..

To me the wall with the TTA heads in a full weight TTA is 132-134 MPH. Steve Kaminski had a car ran low 10's.. but I cant remember much detail on it. I think it was a Firebird with TTA motor.

There was the TTA in the ATR catalog Stage motor ran 9's..

Some guys split hairs on if its a "TTA" vs its a Firebird with a TTA engine. Or Firebird with a GN engine = TTA? Some guys ditch the AC and lighten up the cars.. Thats why full weight is what it is.

If you can get it into the 9's with the TTA heads.. good luck. Let me know when your there. If I had to do it over agian and wanted 9's.. they'd be Buick heads and a custom down pipe.

HTH

cliff as far as wonder bar goes heres an article on it
Installing a WonderBar on your Thirdgen.
it ties the 2 front ends of the frame together (there's nothing real solid holding the front end together with the steering gear on the driver side) so this stiffens that up. the only problem is im not sure if they make one that will clear the stock intercooler shroud, my shroud was junk so i just put this on, and what a difference! If you plan on doing a custom front mount this will work fine.

Jack merkel ported my heads it's got a 70bb gtq .. If I ever make a pass I will let y'all know