New to Stage 2.

Stage II motor

Iam running a stage II motor with a small cam 206/212 roller with a Limted Engineering Old school 76 and its insane on the street, I can not for the life of me put the throttle pass 1/2 way to the floor its al over the place, You guys will have lots of fun on the streets trust me.

My concerns are as follow's.

If I go with a bigger turbo... 88 or so. Will it be real lazy on the street. I don't want a low 9 sec car that will get destroyed by a mustang from stop light to stoplight.

Do i go with a 76 that will hopefully run my car in the mid 9 sec range. And it should be real good on the street. I'm basing it off my 109 motor with a 71 gtq in it. In the other car. That turbo spools pretty good.

Whats your input?

I'd love to hear some more turbo suggestions with a description of street/strip characteristics. And potential ET.

I can't help with specific strip info: our 1/4 mile track closed shortly after I got it running, and I've moved on to things other than the drags. The one time I had it at the track, I had a pair of worn out Racemasters and pump gas, it went 122 mph on 11-12 lbs of boost (not even close to the efficiency range of a T-76.)

Something to keep in mind: a S2 headed 274 at 9:1 compression with a single 4V carb (ASA trim) makes about 450 HP. That's your starting point to compare with an 8:1 231 with stock configuration heads. Those S2 heads make a big difference. But it cuts both ways, doesn't it? The tricky part is sizing your turbo and cam to do what you want it to do.

I can only tell you that with ported S2 heads (2.125 intake, 1.65 exhaust) and a T-76 with a .69 turbine housing, it lights the tires at will if I floor it anywhere under 50 mph. Would it pull harder with a bigger turbo or a larger turbine housing? Absolutely. But it runs great.

And even the Ford dudes know there's something special there when I pop the hood at a car show. :)

The motor is a 274 cube. The part that sucks is the cam is a mystery. I will have to do some measuring to find out the specs. I do know its a solid roller. And the t and d shaft mounts are 1.6. I'll try to get the lift, duration, and lobe separation tomorrow.

I got some cams that were unknown as well. I took them to Crower which is local to me and they put them on the Cam Dr, and printed out a whole sheet worth of info. Might see if you can find someone local to do the same. Or, send it to me and I can swing it by if it helps.

I would but the cams still in the motor. I'd like to leave it there. I can get a feeler gauge down the lifter hole and rotate the motor. And i appreciate the offer.

Well i made some progress. The motor is not a 274 cube. Its 277.

The cam specs are as follows. 271/266 @.50 with a 114 lobe separation.

That's similar to the solid roller that came in my engine... BTW, our engines were originally built by the same local builder here in Detroit - Dan White at White Racing.

The lift on my cam was in the mid-700s. I took it out and put a hydraulic roller in.

what are the advantages of a carb style intake? Is this the most common intake. I have a large intake that was custom built. The only problem is the coil does not fit in the stock location. I'd like it to be there. Anyone got one for sale. Needs to fit stage 2 heads.

They seem to be common, just carbed converted to efi. The only other one i have seen is high dollar custom sheet metal. Advantage is they flow like mad it would seem, as they match the heads... Not sure what to do with coil, but u could always fab something.

what are the advantages of a carb style intake? Is this the most common intake. I have a large intake that was custom built. The only problem is the coil does not fit in the stock location. I'd like it to be there. Anyone got one for sale. Needs to fit stage 2 heads.

Mentl, some pix would help. Other than that, use your imagination. You'll find someplace to put it.

engine pic

Attachments

• stageengine.jpg
    stageengine.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 283
SHWEEEET!!!!

Why would you want to change anything?

But...the closest thing to "stock location" might be underneath the plenum. If it fits there, that is.

Very very nice!!! Is your exhaust wheel on that turbo the same size as your downpipe? You should look into a 5" that steps down to 4" to get the most out of that turbo. I got mine from Dan @ DLS.

DSC05739.jpg