New to Stage 2.

MENTL231

Got some questions...

1. Whats the best way to identify exactly what stage 2 motor i have. It has a turbo six emblem on the two sides and one on the top rear of the block. It also has a GM stamp there.

2. I'd like to run power steering in my car. Could some of you post pics of different set ups?

3. Where to put the coil and module.... Should i change to a dist? How far away from the motor can i mount it? Its where the heater box was cause the intake is too big. I'd like to relocate it. Any pics from you guys?

4. My motor is a 274 according to the previous owner. It currently has a 90 mm turbo and 160lb injectors. It spools rediculously slow. There was a nitrous set up on there to aid on spooling. I was thinking a 76 turbo with 120lb injectors to make it more streetable. What are you guys suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

got some questions...

1. Whats the best way to identify exactly what stage 2 motor i have.

should have a casting number on it. 25500012, 25500016, 25500153???
Block Photo Guide

2. I'd like to run power steering in my car. Could some of you post pics of different set ups?

check out my thread a little below this one... Awaiting similar answers... http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/st...-running-dry-sump-stock-accessories-pics.html

3. Where to put the coil and module.... Should i change to a dist? How far away from the motor can i mount it? Its where the heater box was cause the intake is too big. I'd like to relocate it. Any pics from you guys?

check my thread i started, might see some examples in there:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/stage-ii-tech/333892-stage-ii-picture-thread-lets-see-em.html

4. My motor is a 274 according to the previous owner. It currently has a 90 mm turbo and 160lb injectors. It spools rediculously slow. There was a nitrous set up on there to aid on spooling. I was thinking a 76 turbo with 120lb injectors to make it more streetable. What are you guys suggestions?

90 is awful big for "street". Sounds like you are headed in the right direction there, but will let some more experienced guys speak up. I plan on running something around 70-76 as well.
any help would be appreciated.

what heads are you running? Got any pics?

Squid for life gave some great feedback. Let me just make a few turbo suggestions.

I have an 88mm on my car. The previous owner said it spooled "fine" on the street, but I will drive the car in the spring to determine if that's true or not.

If it isn't I'm thinking I'll probably go with one of several options;

1) GT42-76 with a 1.15 hotside
2) Precision hp76hps with a .96 hotside (should spool lightning quick)
3) Bullseye s483 turbo (Borgwarner stuff, 83mm billet wheel, lots of hotside choices, comes in t-4 or t-6 flange)

Probably, I would go with the Bullseye turbo because I've used them in the past and have had good success.

Wow, stepped up to a StageII! Got the speed bug huh? Is something wrong with the 109 you just built? I remember you running it to 10s the first time at NED and was impressed.

Wow, stepped up to a StageII! Got the speed bug huh? Is something wrong with the 109 you just built? I remember you running it to 10s the first time at NED and was impressed.
The 109 is runnin fine. I ran a best at the end of the season. 10.43. Only 23.5 psi. That has 9 second potential all day. I bought this car cause it was a great deal. Ill most likely be selling the 109 car. Unless my girlfriend wants it. =)

Oh, I see you bought a car with a StageII in it already. Got ya. Is it something we know from around here?

Squid for life gave some great feedback. Let me just make a few turbo suggestions.

I have an 88mm on my car. The previous owner said it spooled "fine" on the street, but I will drive the car in the spring to determine if that's true or not.

If it isn't I'm thinking I'll probably go with one of several options;

1) GT42-76 with a 1.15 hotside
2) Precision hp76hps with a .96 hotside (should spool lightning quick)
3) Bullseye s483 turbo (Borgwarner stuff, 83mm billet wheel, lots of hotside choices, comes in t-4 or t-6 flange)

Probably, I would go with the Bullseye turbo because I've used them in the past and have had good success.

I am running an older version of number 2 which is the 76GTS with the .96 A/R housing. It does spool well on the street.

I am running an older version of number 2 which is the 76GTS with the .96 A/R housing. It does spool well on the street.

That's a great turbo for your combo. I have two hp76hps turbos on my mustang. They have the new billet compressor wheels and really make some steam.

Nice video, btw!

Well if we can see pics that would help a great deal. If the block casting number ends in 153 then it's an On Center motor. If it ends in 012 or 016 then it's an Off Center motor. You can also tell by the oil feed line up at the top but I have to see pics. As far as the heads, if the ports are evenly spaced they are stage II heads. If one of the ports have more gap in between the other two then its the production style head setup.

HTH
Prasad:)

Its a 153 casting number. With stage 2 heads. I pulled the motor this past weekend and and brought it to my machine shop last night. Its has carillo rods, je pistons. td shaft mount rockers etc. Its everything it was supposed to be. I'm thinking of doing a 76 turbo with a t4 housing. This should put me in the 9.20 9.30 range, no prob. and be able to turn up the wick and run a 8.90 at the end of the season. I just want good street characteristics.

Nice! Congrats! Glad everything is like it should be. I assume this car is without the heat/AC box altogether, or at least converted to heat only? Man, you got to get some pics! :)

i'm working on the pics. i got the motor out of the car so i can clean the engine bay. And have my machine shop check out the motor. The wiring on the car was kinda messy so i'm mainly gonna clean that up as much as possible. i'd like to hide as many of the wires as possible.

Got any pics yet? Curious what intake you are running. Do you know what cam it has in it? Depending on the cam, intake, headers, turbo (you considered changing it), throttle body, injectors, and what you are controlling it all with (FAST or stock style?)?

There are a handful of guys who post up here that drive their cars on the street and have reported good manners, even with the stage heads when most say you should go to a production style head. I think with the correct cam and turbo choice, the rest would be fine for the street.

EDIT: I sure hope it is all good on the street, because that is my plan as well. My car is 99% street, and is currently a daily. I plan, by the time I get all my parts collected for this build, to take it off the street for a while and get her all set to be a street beast. It'll still get driven a lot, probably more than I should. :biggrin:

PM "Mac in SD". He is a local guy who runs a stage motor, with stage heads, and says his car is perfectly fine on the street. If I remember correctly he was conservative on the cam and/or turbo but says it is a beast and he could have gone with a little more and still been fine.

Well thats good to hear. I havent taken any pics yet. I'll try to get some tomorrow. I am making some changes to the cage right now. The bars going to the back off the hoop were incorrect as were the down bars in the front. I have those cut out now. I'll be working on it tomorrow night. I'll try to snap some then.

My concerns are as follow's.

If I go with a bigger turbo... 88 or so. Will it be real lazy on the street. I don't want a low 9 sec car that will get destroyed by a mustang from stop light to stoplight.

Do i go with a 76 that will hopefully run my car in the mid 9 sec range. And it should be real good on the street. I'm basing it off my 109 motor with a 71 gtq in it. In the other car. That turbo spools pretty good.

Whats your input?

I'd love to hear some more turbo suggestions with a description of street/strip characteristics. And potential ET.

I think the old 76 will spool up fine on the street but an 88 may have issues. How many cubes is your motor? I know that Precision makes a new billet 76....I am not so sure but I think it's called the 76/68 or 76/70 or something that makes more power and great spool up than the old 76.

How big is your cam?....... I have been in the process of building a stage II street car with AC and all bells and whistles for a while. Right now I am in the process of getting my car painted and caged. The motor is done. It's a 274 cube On center with a 230/230 street solid roller. I too have an old 76, GT 40/76, and a GT 47/80. I am on the fence as to what turbo to run.

Prasad