New Morel Lifter Problem

ta66

Got a new set of morel roller lifters. When I was installing them noticed one of the pins in the roller was not swedged and the pin fell out. Good thing I noticed this it would have destroyed my motor. Just wondering if anyone had this problem with the morels. I will call fullthrottle Monday and get replacement lifter along with the correct pushrods sent me 8.55's instead of 8.05's

good catch. that would have sucked. post a pic so others know what to look for

pics

Notice the way the pins look. It never got pressed

Attachments

• DSC01540.JPG
    DSC01540.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,041
  • DSC01541.JPG
    DSC01541.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,024
I had a similar problem ,after starting car with new morels one lifter was making noise....I drove it for about 150 miles befor i decided to remove intake and check why lifter was making rapping noise ....well the pin that holds the roller had worked itself loose damageing the wall of the bore causeing the lifter to seize in the lifter bore...I had a hard time removing the lifter and had to polish the blocks lifter bore as the new morel lifter would not slide in....SO MUCH FOR QC

issues

Ouch --would be nice to hear from others if they had issues with morrels.:confused:

After seeing this the vendor(s) selling them should be double checking before shipping out orders.

I think I'll stick with clicky comps, at least I never heard of them falling apart in an engine. I'd rather deal with the noise than pounding out a lifter.

I would also sticky this thread.

I had a tie-bar break on a comp lifter, the lifter turned sideways and made a real mess of things.

There are pictures on here somewhere of the carnage......

Bob

Where did you buy the Morels ?

PM me if you prefer not to say on an open forum.

I had a tie-bar break on a comp lifter, the lifter turned sideways and made a real mess of things.

There are pictures on here somewhere of the carnage......

Bob

I guess you just cant win with these cars :rolleyes:. Put a flat-tappet in and it wipes a lobe, put a roller in and a the bar breaks and spins then wipes a lobe. I should of just baught a sewing machine :rolleyes::tongue:

I guess you just cant win with these cars :rolleyes:. Put a flat-tappet in and it wipes a lobe, put a roller in and a the bar breaks and spins then wipes a lobe. I should of just baught a sewing machine :rolleyes::tongue:

I think its more of a factor of how far you stray from the OEM designs on stuff.

The stock cam (with the oils of the 80's) lived just fine. Once you start pushing the envelope the factory tolerances and the quality of aftermarket parts starts to be the weak link.

Same would be true with any car, ours is a glaring example because of how much HP we can get with relative ease.....

As a note, I think my lifter broke because the lobes on the billet roller are on the wide side, and there is a spot where the shoulder of the lifter can hit an adjacent lobe and put some twist on it. Too much of that (and the high RPM testing I was doing that day) and it broke.

I put in a new-style cast roller with comp lifters and its been fine (for 4+ years.)

I really want to try the OEM style shortie rollers with the dogbones and hold-down spider. Perhaps when I finish my engine project.

Bob

got a new set of morel roller lifters. When i was installing them noticed one of the pins in the roller was not swedged and the pin fell out. Good thing i noticed this it would have destroyed my motor. Just wondering if anyone had this problem with the morels. I will call fullthrottle monday and get replacement lifter along with the correct pushrods sent me 8.55's instead of 8.05's

where did you buy the morels ?

Pm me if you prefer not to say on an open forum.

see red

Lifters

I just want to say that Full Throttle really did a good job on replacing everything. They drop shipped a whole new set in 2 days to my door. 1 Up for their customer service.

I just want to say that Full Throttle really did a good job on replacing everything. They drop shipped a whole new set in 2 days to my door. 1 Up for their customer service.

Mike and Marianne are great. They do try to please....

Just got a set from Full Throttle today and had one that the pin fell out just like yours.Will be calling them tomorrow.