New Morel Lifter Problem

This is just another example of Crap manufacturing any more!! Hope you get it straight!!

what the f i just put those in my weber stroker!!! i never know to check!!! boy if it happens to me someone is going to pay a huge bill

Oh MAN! I just recently convinced myself to buy the Morels and not the noisy comps and now this.

What do I do now? I took long enough to chose the cam and lifters.

I want good quality and quiet. Is it even possible?

D

Gentlemen, I believe that this is par for the course these days. A very well respected member of this forum advised me to check and recheck EVERYTHING when assembling these motors. Having just completed a rebuild, I can tell you that I passed through hell with no less than 3 aftermarket timing covers (before just reusing a decent oem unit), one lifter with machining shavings in it, and a roller cam with a .040 error on its thrust surface---just for starters. Any one of these problems, by itself, could have ruined this build had it not been corrected before installing in the car. I know that I am not alone with these types of experiences, for sure. Again, things SHOULD be different, but reality is what it is. You cannot take anything for granted once you deviate from the original parts the motor came with. Good catch, however! Thanks, Rudy.

I think I don't have a choice but stick with a Flat-tappet cam, Im giong to research zinc additives that can be bought to replace what the new oils don't have

When these people are selling race car items at high dollar prices these items should be of an exceptional quality.

When we spend 3, 4, 5, or even $10,000 on an engine and a $300 item ruins almost everything they should be held accountable.

This bull that goes on is absolutely unacceptable!

You spend $290 on a non roller cam and lifters
It's made from bad steel bought from China.
3 lobes get round.
by the time you realize what's going on, metal has gone through you're whole engine.

Now, you're out cam and lifters
cam bearings are shot
maybe crank bearings too
turbo? send it back to Precision cause it's shot too.
replace oil pump.
now you need an separate oil cooler cause god knows what's stuck in the radiator.
add labor
what did i miss?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Unacceptable!

There is allot more at money going on than their crap!

Execution I say!

Just got a set from Full Throttle today and had one that the pin fell out just like yours.Will be calling them tomorrow.

This is turning out to be a serious problem. I Would stay clear of these lifters until some explaining is made:eek:

Gentlemen, I believe that this is par for the course these days. A very well respected member of this forum advised me to check and recheck EVERYTHING when assembling these motors. Having just completed a rebuild, I can tell you that I passed through hell with no less than 3 aftermarket timing covers (before just reusing a decent oem unit), one lifter with machining shavings in it, and a roller cam with a .040 error on its thrust surface---just for starters. Any one of these problems, by itself, could have ruined this build had it not been corrected before installing in the car. I know that I am not alone with these types of experiences, for sure. Again, things SHOULD be different, but reality is what it is. You cannot take anything for granted once you deviate from the original parts the motor came with. Good catch, however! Thanks, Rudy.
I whole heartedly agree with you. The engine builder is the last line of defense. If a person is unwilling to take on that responsibility, then that person should not be assembling engines. If a person had an engine assembled by a professional engine builder and paid him boocoo bucks to do so, and the engine failed because a simple, easily noticeable flaw in a part was not caught, what kind of opinion would you have of that engine assembler?
A true engine assembler is not a person who just unpackages a part and throws it into an engine. He would thoroughly inspect that part to make sure it is worthy of going into his creation.

On another note, if a problem with a part is not so obvious, such as a metallurgical problem, or a problem that visual inspection or measuring will not catch, then I think the vendor of the part needs to step up and make it right. The engine builder does depend on the vendor of the part to supply a properly engineered part, within reason.
Building racing engines is, by its nature, pure research and development. Things ARE going to break in the quest for more power and better parts.

Remember, even NASA has had deaths due to defective parts or incorrect engineering. No matter how hard we all try to build an engine so it works flawlessly, things beyond our control fail. Now that the cat is out of the bag on the Morel lifters, it is something to look more closely at. Thanks to the original poster for the heads up. I have used a few sets of Morels and they have worked great. I have also used Comp lifters with mixed results. Some good, others not. Quality control is needed at all levels of manufacturing, then we as engine builders must also take the time to do a thorough inspection, too. As a side note, be SURE to deburr the oil hole on the thrust face of the cam. I have seen that heat treated burr TEAR the thrust surface of the block up BAD!

One of the best tools at our disposal to prevent these things is this forum. For instance, Turbo Bob's disaster was in the back of my mind when I set up my cam and lifters. Partially due to a heads up posted here, I was on the alert for potential interference between cam lobes and lifters with these roller cams. Bingo! Problem identified before calamity! OUR experiences help each other exponentially. You have to be very careful putting these things together. Personally, I am very thankful for the knowledge and help available on this forum. Thanks, Rudy.