New hotair intakes underway!

More progress today on intake.

We made a few changes to design.

currently it is looking like we will be welding on a 86/87 flange to intake after gutting. This will allow us to use an 86/87 plenum with mods to clear turbo.

Solves a few issue, such as throttle bracket, etc.

Will have some pics on my website tomorrow sometime.

I do have a request. Does anybody have a larger aftermarket turbo laying around we could use for mockup? Or could get us some GOOD dimensions from it, so we can modify the plenum to clear a bigger than stock turbo?

Just a word about Jeff's request for a turbo.....

What we are after is a big a$$ turbo. We want to see just how much we can clearance this thing to get a BIG turbo in there. It need not be functional, and we will return it, I have a PT 52, so we are looking for something larger than that. Any of you guys out there (or girls) that have the stones to run a 70 series, here's your chance to see if it will fit.

I like the idea of the 86/7 plenum....looks great....but i dont know how well it will fit with the turbo clocked to shoot forward....either way progress looks good so far!

also, that impala at SEMA was SWEET!

On the clocking of turbo we had another though.

Our current thinking is to machine down the old turbo flange on the rear of the intake and just barely clock the turbo backwards, or not at all.

It does involve a 90deg on turbo end, but I think it will be much cleaner setup and avoid the clearances going over front.

Although I haven't seen a spearco kit, don't they do something similar?

The spearco kit sorta has something similar. They have the turbo clocked to shoot forward but on the return end into the intake they have a little 90 degree adapter that sneaks under the turbo into the intake. Your setup would be the opposite I think, your thinking to put a 90 degree right after the turbo and shoot it sideways then another 90 degree to shoot it forward then make its way thru the IC and the TB....is that correct?

firebird350, yes that is the general idea. We will have a mandrel 90 at the outlet of the turbo, and then move forward to the i/c and into the TB. This setup will also make it possible to run hotair, just pipe from turbo forward to TB. This will allow a budget start with just the intake, and an upgrade to an I/c setup down the road.

The use of the 86-87 doghouse leaves a pretty much stock appearance..other than the obvious, but when you look at the thing, you could definitely see it coming from Gm that way.

By machining away the stock turbo inlet port we gain enough extra room to make a gradual bend into the piping, making the kit easier to plumb, and creating minimal flow restriction.

I think the best feature of this design will be that you can unbolt the upper plenum and reach down into the intke to do whatever porting you like.;)

Also, for you V2 owners, notice the clearance between the TB and the T-stat housing. With the relocated IAC teh coolant flow restiction will be gone. We are even toying with the idea of using the 86-87 style thermostat housing.

Originally posted by national84

I think the best feature of this design will be that you can unbolt the upper plenum and reach down into the intke to do whatever porting you like.;)

Porting while the intake is still installed:eek: ur kiddin right:confused:

Sounds interesting tho....keep us informed, and i hope u werent serious about the porting thing;)

i dunno fellas...looking at the side pic i'd say the best bet would be to machine about another inch off the top and weld on a flange to mount the 87 plenum.that way you could use an unmodified 87 plenum and still be able to clock the turbo forward.

I like the idea of machining down further, although that doesn't help the clearance in front for thermostat.

My idea on thermostat is a block that bolts on and accepts 86/87 fitting, but higher on intake to clear the nicely placed alternator.

I just got done machining the rear of the intake, where the EGR plumbing was, and the connector for turbo. This opened up more than enough room to get a nice 90 elbow in there.

I also widdled away at the plenum some more, where as now the stock turbo clears (in pics it wouldn't had a piece been welded in), although anything bigger turbowise won't.

What do you feel is the biggest reasonable turbo someone may want to use on this?

And no, Mike didn't have ideas of porting intake while on motor, although sometimes it wouldn't suprise me. He is just mentioning after the bottom is welded and a welded top access inside is gone again, with plenum 5 bolts and you can get inside without the need for welder.

I am really getting excited seeing this intake take shape. Any and all input is greatly appreciated so we can bring on a new product for us hot air guys.

More pics to be posted tomorrow.

clearing the alt. bracket will not be a problem. There is plenty of room between the alt. bracket and the coil pack.

National84 aka Mike has been gracious enough to lend me his motor while mine is gone through, for the testing.

I got home last night at 2am pulling that motor, well ok, Mike did most of the work and as my 3 yr old said last night "Mike, your dirty!!!! You stink!!!" She didn't know it applied to mike in more ways than 1.

Remind me not to walk behind Mike anymore either please!!!

Current plan is to maybe pull my bad motor, install mikes in my car sunday, or atleast start. Got some other things to finish up first though.

Intake is getting close to ready to flow, and I have that lined up to do.

This is going to happen, just a matter of tweaking it a bit as we go.

Wow! I think this is definately going to be the best intake yet for hot airs. I wish I had a hot air now that I see this and with the availability of the Mease DP for hot airs. Too late for me; I converted mine to '86-'87; see signature.

I definately think the turbo dumping straight down into an elbow and around the driver's side of the engine is the way to go verses the Turbo motion method of getting the air to the intercooler by routing it over the throttle body. I've see some silicone 90 degree elbows that were used on the intercooled cars with custom intercoolers that would work.

Also, wouldn't it be great if you could team up with the Power Plate guy to equalize the air/fuel mixture for this intake/plenum combo once this design is complete? You might even design and build one yourself. It basically causes a lot of turbulence in the right places after the plenum to mix the air/fuel mixture properly to equalize all of the cylinders.

The power plate idea actually was discussed, one of the convincing factors to go with the 86/87 plenum bolt pattern.

It may be something I can discuss with those guys, once we get a final design.

On a similar note, I finally have time to go get an updated pic. Heading out right now to take it, should be posted in the gallery shortly.

It shows how much clearance can be had for a 90 deg elbow after a milling machine attacks the intake.

anybody want to help swap a motor on sunday?

intake

in the new pics you all took off the turbo inlet on the intake to have room to put an elbow on to eliminate re clocking the turbo forward? or are you still planing on reclocking turbo to front. I thought that made airflow cooler and better on throttle response?

You are correct in that turbo won't need to be clocked now.

It should not affect temp going forward or back at all. The intercooler itself will control the heat, atleast 98% of it -vs- how the tubing runs to and from the intercooler.

shaun mccall in the new pics you all took off the turbo inlet on the intake to have room to put an elbow on to eliminate re clocking the turbo forward? or are you still planing on reclocking turbo to front. I thought that made airflow cooler and better on throttle response?

To the best of my knowledge, clocking the turbo has no effect on the cooling or flow of the turbo....by my limited understanding of physics, it makes no difference what-so-ever. Other kits clocked to turbo forward in order to create a path to the intercooler. With the back inlet milled off, no clocking is necessary. by using either a silicone 90 or a mandrel bent 90, you accomplish the same goal. The big benefits here are: we now have fewer issues with clearance over the TB, and there is no longer a need to fabricate anything for the wastegate. A problem that needed to be addressed on the TurboMotion kits.

The improvement in throttle response comes from relocating the TB, thereby moving it closer to the intake runners. So, no this kit will not require re-clocking the turbo.

Just another update.

MIke's engine is now sitting in my engine compartment and even bolted for most part to tranny. (the hard part).

couple more hours work and we should be able to see it come to life. Fingers crossed.

From there we will get some baseline dyno #'s, get flow on intake, then swap intake and get new dyno #'s.

I am sure the engine will need some maintence before getting good #'s on it though.

In the meantime, time to see what happened to my cars original motor, possibly cam gone flat. grrr