New Guy from the Bay Area CA.

Dsmxsteve

Hi all, I am new to the forum and new to GN's. I am 35 and have always loved Grand Nationals but have never been lucky enough to own one. Well, now that I am getting a bit older I am finally going to break down and pick me up one this year hopefully. A little about me, well I have been wrenching/ tinkering with cars for 20+ years and do enjoy it as a hobby. As far as profession, I am a Steamfitter/ Welder. I joined this forum before owning my first GN as I wanted some info what to look for and what to avoid. Thanks for Reading, Steve.

Steve,
Welcome to the site. Lots of good info and great people here. Don't buy the first one you see. Lots of cars to choose from. Buy the nicest one you can afford. The fixer-uppers will nickel and dime you to death. Here's some good reading to get you started.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
Use the search to find the answers you seek. If you can't find them, ask.

Let us know what you find.

Welcome to the site.:)

Mike Barnard

Thanks Everyone. I picked up an 84 converted to a 87 intercooled. It has some here and there items that need to be addressed but seems to be a good solid runner (I've put a couple thousand miles on since purchase) that needs some cosmetic attention to make her the way I want. I've stayed out of the boost, for the most part, til I get a scanmaster but it does have a few go fast goodies on it already including a TH Downpipe, AFPR and a Kenne Bell Chip, which Im assuming needs to be replaced by something a little more modern. I was told the car has Forged pistons and some other items internally, but I personally haven't dropped the oil pan to verify. I have some maintenance to take care of before any modding but overall I'm loving this car.

Congrats.:)
Post some pics when you get a chance. It doesn't matter if it's not a beauty queen. I would not go into boost with that old Kenne Bell chip unless your good at changing head gaskets. It has too much timing for today's gas. Time to do the spring cleaning found in the link I posted above in post #3. Let us know if you have any questions.

Mike B.