New engine blew head gasket

I disagree on the street before a dyno. Dynos uncover a lot of issues that can often quickly be resolved. I for one am not taking someones 600+hp car for 3rd gear passes on the street trying to figure out why it lazy over 5600rpm. You go to a dyno to sort out small issues that would require multiple trips to the drag strip and possibly a couple seasons of racing to figure out if you didn't lose interest before dumping the project. You don't go there looking for a number although the tuner should have a good ballpark number if they have any experience. I've seen a lot of ignition related issues that would probably never get fixed at the drag strip be taken care of in short order using a dyno. If you want to own a high hp engine then spending $700-800 to have someone dyno that knows what they are doing tune the car will leave you in a much better position from a longevity standpoint than someone who doesn't. Id even advise they pay again and have the tuner at the drag strip to further assist. Dropping $1500-2000 this way shouldn't be a big deal since the car is really a novelty. The average household that has credit card debt has over $15000 balance. That's about $3000/year in interest if no other charges are made and 700/month is paid toward the balance and the interest rate is 17%. It's not hard to see what's important to the general public. Paying banks a lot of interest is definitely one of them. I'd rather give a tuner $1500 than a bank 1 cent.

I'm just the opposite. I sort all the little issues before spending money on dyno.

Well here in MT it's three pulls for $100.00 not a huge investment.
Well here in Chicago the shop charges you per hour on the dyno and the tuner charges you per hour for tuning. So, all the minor issuse better be worked out before the car hits the dyno and the tuner starts the clock.
I know the OP stated he took his car on a 3 hour or so trip before the tuning session. I dont know how far off the tune was or what could of happend on that trip but when he hit the dyno...boom!

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 308
  • cylinders driver side.jpg
    cylinders driver side.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 326
  • head gasket driver side.jpg
    head gasket driver side.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 307
What about the other side esp #3?
Send the injectors out and number them to each cylinder. Have them checked, and cleaned.

The damage is clearly from detonation. Good thing those gaskets were on there and not something that would transfer more of the energy to the rod bearings.

The damage is clearly from detonation. Good thing those gaskets were on there and not something that would transfer more of the energy to the rod bearings.

On a go forward basis, do I go Felpro, Victor Reinz, Cometic, or RJC gaskets?
Who do I get to tune this engine so this doesn't happen again?

wmerrell said:
On a go forward basis, do I go Felpro, Victor Reinz, Cometic, or RJC gaskets?
Who do I get to tune this engine so this doesn't happen again?

More importantly on a forward basis,

Don't detonate it

100hp or there abouts per hole, either steel or copper

there is a point where composite gaskets just wont cut it, so i guess that could be the case, but how much power was it making at the time she let loose?

Cometics... With you having a Powerlogger, you can log and monitor the tuning. Start at an A/F target of 10.5 and 15 psi and go from there. You need to see if your fuel pressure is rising 1:1 and that your DC on the injectors is correct for your tune/load.

kidglok said:
there is a point where composite gaskets just wont cut it, so i guess that could be the case, but how much power was it making at the time she let loose?

I agree but if I recall earlier in the thread he said 22psi on the dyno. Detonation free that gasket should live indefinitely at 22psi on Bill's combo. I'd expect 126-127mph trap speeds with 22psi on that engine with a 93/alky tune. Those head gaskets have been over 130mph with smaller cams and more cylinder pressure than what this engine makes at 22psi

Dale Cherry says he doesn't have nor saved the data. He did say it was showing 490 rwhp at 21 /22 lbs of boost.

Here are pics from the passenger side.

Attachments

• passenger side gasket.jpg
    passenger side gasket.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 229
  • passenger side.jpg
    passenger side.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 211
bison said:
I agree but if I recall earlier in the thread he said 22psi on the dyno. Detonation free that gasket should live indefinitely at 22psi on Bill's combo. I'd expect 126-127mph trap speeds with 22psi on that engine with a 93/alky tune. Those head gaskets have been over 130mph with smaller cams and more cylinder pressure than what this engine makes at 22psi

Good to know. I'm shooting for around 130 trap and am planning on using stock style gaskets on a 9:1 engine. I like having a fuse in there if needed instead of pounding my mains and rods.