New Best Time West Coast Nationals

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
well, just got home where i could post after a long days work. anyways my car ran into some problems once i started going faster with more boost. I added a small amount of timing on the topend (21 from 19) and tryed to raise the boost to 24psi. car would pop like it hit the rev limiter and i would back off the throttle. letting off the gas before the 1000 foot and coasted to a 11.24 @110. Anyways i think my problem is the factory 25 year old coil pack or plug wires not sure. car ran fine at 22psi and 19 deg. timing. i also think my fuel pump is going out since the fuel pressure starts to drop off at the top end of the track :eek:. anyways the car would have gone 10.90's for sure. car was picking up over .25 ever 2psi of boost. i was going to run it up to around 28psi but the rpm's cutting out up top was weird so i couldn't. Im going to check it out once i get time. from my data logs everything looks good up top and then pop like it hits the limiter which its not. everything is perfect and it does it in the same spot almost everytime. anyways here is what the pass looked like. should be a 11.00 if i was able to stay in it at 24 psi :eek: you do the math at 28-30 psi :biggrin: O and my converter is done. locking it up does about nothing. still slips over 20% at the big end :eek:

60-1.56 (foot brake)
330-4.5346
1/8-7.0863
1/8mph-96.22
1000-9.2347
1000mph-109.68
1/4-11.2476
1/4mph-110.11

thanks scott. im not sure what im going to do yet. may try, new pump, plugs and wires and see what happens.after that we will see, maybe a distributor setup? want to run a 10.50 or 10.60 with the car then its gettind de-tuned to 11.50's

I couldn't believe the times it ran with it popping up top. also on that low of boost :) niceeeee

ya maybe. not sure. when i collapsed the air filter i did the WTF. so on the way back to the pits i noticed the water temp got to about 210 which it nevers does and i was like WTF again. i was thinking head gasket then it went back down to 170 right where it always stays. well i pulled the plugs and checked coolant and oil to make sure it wasnt a headgasket which it wasn't. i guess i got an air pocket from the night before. i drained the coolant friday night and filled it up saturday before racing and it just had a pocket of air. anyways jan moller looked at my plugs (ngk ur5's) and said they looked alittle hot and he gave me some 7's is all i can remember not sure what they are and they where gaped at .032 . i have never run anything but ngk's for the last several years after switching from ac cr42ts plugs. anyways so i changed the plugs to he said 7's or something. also i had to fix one plug wire since the metal clip wanted to stay on the plug. i have done this before with no problem but i dont know. only other thing i did was add 2 deg. timing up top from 19-21 and add 2psi. car would pop right before the 1000 foot. so run down of things after the air filter deal

new filter
new plugs (different plugs, 7's or something gapped at .030)
fixed plug wire
add 2 deg timing
add 2 psi boost

logs looked good before pop, on the xfi the rpm would drop out real quick then come back. not sure.

im happy with the 11.2 pass but damn the way it was going. it had a 10 in it easy.

know my answer? that its?

we really missed you and lee this year, you need to hit me up when you do some testing on your truck. i would really like to see it.

know my answer? that its?

we really missed you and lee this year, you need to hit me up when you do some testing on your truck. i would really like to see it.

Yes, "that's its":smile:. Insufficient ignition is the answer. Won't be racing but will be putting "pit miles" and tuning the new motor thur night.

Nice times, I am jealous! If you want a quick way to check the wires, they should ohm out at no more than 4k ohms per foot, but better race wires I would expect no more than 1k per. I am sure you know how to ohm out the coil pack. If I remember correctly it is no more than 11k ohms across the towers.

Chevota is right on with the smaller gap at higher boost, especially if they are NGK UR7's.

Again, very nice times! Congrats!

i will ohm it out when i go out to arizona. it really sucks not having the car here to work on. it might come down to the plugs or wires. when i changed the plugs i had to fix a wire since it pulled apart. maybe it didnt work out to well

Almost there

well, just got home where i could post after a long days work. anyways my car ran into some problems once i started going faster with more boost. I added a small amount of timing on the topend (21 from 19) and tryed to raise the boost to 24psi. car would pop like it hit the rev limiter and i would back off the throttle. letting off the gas before the 1000 foot and coasted to a 11.24 @110. 60-1.56 (foot brake)
330-4.5346
1/8-7.0863
1/8mph-96.22
1000-9.2347
1000mph-109.68
1/4-11.2476
1/4mph-110.11

Dude that's a good run theoretically it converts to an 11.0 it takes 10.9xx something to break the 10's but either way hats off that's flying for any car let alone a "Hot Air". Given that you went 96mph in the 8th one would only assume at that level you would pick up 24mph plus at the big end. 120mph in the quarter is right there in 10.90 land. Most cases it takes 121-22 but a little better 60ft and your in there, that's how Turbo6X2 did it. But for foot brakeing it a 1.56 is damn good. Thanks again for letting the nay sayers know that it can be done. You picked up 50hp since last year from somewhere but I believe it's the XFI that's helping you out. By the way that zimmeramn 14 bolt motor is that 14 bolt heads? If so is that a stage 1 motor?

Congrats, Pete
P.S. I'll be on your tail as soon as I get home from the dust bowl (IRAQ)

pete, thanks. at 24psi the car had alot left. at 30psi that thing will really move out. should be a mid 10 from my calculations with alittle more timing. also my converter is still slipping at over 20% so that will make a huge difference as well. anyways next time out should net a 10 as long as i can hook up. im going to replace my fuel pump as its going out (one of the very first 340's) and figure out what the popping is all about. i think its just bad plug wires. im also going to change the plugs again and gap alittle tighter. as far as the motor, its just a stock 14 bolt hotair motor with stock 8445 heads.

also been there myself, be safe in iraq.

Dude that's a good run theoretically it converts to an 11.0 it takes 10.9xx something to break the 10's but either way hats off that's flying for any car let alone a "Hot Air". Given that you went 96mph in the 8th one would only assume at that level you would pick up 24mph plus at the big end. 120mph in the quarter is right there in 10.90 land. Most cases it takes 121-22 but a little better 60ft and your in there, that's how Turbo6X2 did it. But for foot brakeing it a 1.56 is damn good. Thanks again for letting the nay sayers know that it can be done. You picked up 50hp since last year from somewhere but I believe it's the XFI that's helping you out. By the way that zimmeramn 14 bolt motor is that 14 bolt heads? If so is that a stage 1 motor?

Congrats, Pete
P.S. I'll be on your tail as soon as I get home from the dust bowl (IRAQ)

The oil pan has 14 bolts. He is just saying it is an earlier block, not a 109 like everybody believes you need to go fast. Great job. I would get a double pumper. Are you running a wideband?