Need Turbo Recommendation for Spring

SS/GNX

Formerly NothinYet
OK. Look at my mods in my sig. My bottom end is stock, my cam is stock, my heads are stock. I DO NOT want to blow this motor and have the alky and the MAFT PRO with LC1 programmed to keep my AFRs around 11:1 so I dont hurt my motor.

I am running a stock turbo now and i really want to get rid of it and get something that pulls harder and will easily get me to my goal. I want 11.8s out of the car and want to do it safely, easily, and without blowing my motor.
I realize I need to make sure theres no knock and watch my afr etc, but I mean I dont want parts to fail even if all that is good.

With my paranoya in mind, which turbo do you think would be a good replacement?

I wouldnt mind room for growth in case I ever did get a forged bottom end, but I dont want to go too big and blow up my current motor.

With my 3200 stall 9.5" converter I was thinking like a ta60 or ta61, but dont know if it would be too much.

Also, I want it to spool LIKE CRAZY. This is for the street and I want it to be really really fun on the street.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.

not sure what stall is needed to spool it crazy fast, but how about one of the new billet wheel 6262 turbos?

Well, any turbo with the stock garrett exhaust housing will spool up faster than the precision and turbonetics housings.
Since you already have a good size convertor, i would look into a precision style housing.
Now, the 60,61,62 turbos all share the same compressor wheel, the only difference is the exhaust wheel, larger the number the slower it will spool with the precision housing.
So, 3200 stall, rjc style boost controller, high z 60s and a front mount.
I would look at the 6152 since you dont have any head work, ( I wished i knew more about the 6262 turbo and how well it worked with stock heads)

There have been alot of folks running high 10s with it based off a 1.5 sixty foot using a 6152.

It does not matter what size you go with, that convertor and a small 61 series turbo should spool up great. If not, turn the timing up, lean it out and install a rjc boost bleeder. It will come up quick.

If you want instant spoolup, you should have bought my ta61 i just sold in the parts for sale section, it had the garrett housing and spooled instant.

BW

I have been entertaining the idea of a 6152, dont know much about them.

I saw your post for that turbo too late otherwise I would have bought it.

Keep the ideas rolling gentleman.

Thanks

I have been entertaining the idea of a 6152, dont know much about them.

I saw your post for that turbo too late otherwise I would have bought it.

Keep the ideas rolling gentleman.

Thanks

the boosted 6162 replaces the 6152 on the Full throttle website... i have a 6152 and must say i enjoy it, it spools crazy fast with my 10 converter in my sig.

Te44

If you want to play it really safe with a small turbo that is alot of fun and not that expensive you could get a TE44 with a precision housing. It will spool instantly and deliver mid 11 sec passes all day. :cool:

It sounds like you don't want to run a lot of boost so you'll need something pretty strong since you're on the stock cam and heads with an odd FMIC.

I'd look at nothing smaller than the 6152 and the BB62/62 in the .63 really sounds like what you'll want for high 11's on low 20's boost.

I'm running a setup that is very similar to your's, with a 6152E turbo. I couldn't be happier with the performance of this turbo. It'll definitely give you the ET you're looking for and is wicked on the street. On my car the turbo spools instantly, whether at idle or running 40 mph down the highway, stick my toe in it and the rear tires break loose.

I'm running a setup that is very similar to your's, with a 6152E turbo. I couldn't be happier with the performance of this turbo. It'll definitely give you the ET you're looking for and is wicked on the street. On my car the turbo spools instantly, whether at idle or running 40 mph down the highway, stick my toe in it and the rear tires break loose.

Nobody thinks that this turbo would be "too much" for my motor?

I will keep the O2s right and the knock gone, thats for sure.

I like how you said its "wicked" on the street, that is what I am looking for. Tire shredding instant spool up and the continued pull on the top end too.

Nobody thinks that this turbo would be "too much" for my motor?

I will keep the O2s right and the knock gone, thats for sure.

I like how you said its "wicked" on the street, that is what I am looking for. Tire shredding instant spool up and the continued pull on the top end too.

I dont think it would be too much as long as you kept the detonation down to a minimum. 5 or 6 guys here in town with that turbo and they all love it.

BW

I'm running it with 93 and alky, tuned to 22# boost and timing at 23/21 with the WB tracking set at 10.5. At this tune I see no detonation, and the car runs great. This setup is on an unopened stock long block with new valve springs.

Anyone think there would be any benefit to going to the Ball Bearing version or is this overkill with my converter?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Bad V6 - what times do you get out of your setup, sounds exactly like mine and how I would run the car...

You can PM me if you dont want to broadcast it.

6152re dbb if you need on I got it and it will blaze your tires in a instant !!

If you want to play it really safe with a small turbo that is alot of fun and not that expensive you could get a TE44 with a precision housing. It will spool instantly and deliver mid 11 sec passes all day. :cool:

How well does everyone think a TE44 would perform with my setup?
There is one for sale for around $500 which is a bit cheaper than a 6152 new.

Will i be disappointed with it vs the 6152? Is the extra money worth it?

The 44 is a diehard turbo, it works great and ive ran them in the past. The 61 series does the same work, but a little less boost.

The te44 will work just fine if you looking for a deal, I went fairly easy mid 11s with mine 8 years ago.
If you can find a 60 61 or 62 they all have the same compressor wheel, id try and find one of those for that extra power
BW

nothinyet,if you are on a budget pickup the 44 for 500 bucks or any comparable turbo for the money they will all go 11.80's.if you have the coin and want the best spool grab the dd ball-bearing turbo's.

I am running the TA49 and have had good results. Spool is very quick, not to crazy for the street. I have gone 11.55 with a very mild tune.

Te60

I run 11.0s at 121 with this turbo.I had this turbo rebuilt very recently,but also ran it last year on my bone stock motor.I ran 11.80s all day then and i am still running my 009 inj.with alky.I ran 28# of boost everyday for years with the stock motor.NO PROBLEMS until a torque convertor bolt broke and the s%&t hit the fan:eek: it wreaked havoc on everything.If you want a low 11 or a high 10 I would just save some money and go with one of these or the TE44.just my .02

Keep in mind I have stock heads and a stock cam. I plan on keeping it that way. I want to reach 11.8s easily but without diving into the motor at all.

The only way I am going to spend the money on heads and a cam is when I have a really bad ass short block in the car. Then Im gonna want to go real fast, but that is years in the making...

Thats why I need to work with what I have now.

Thanks for all the input btw...