Need to ship my trans... suggestions?

savage6

Need to ship my trans to Texas from North AL., will be palletized, tied down with ratchet straps. Never done this before....any suggestions?

Thanks

a buddy of mine shipped a 2004r trans with DHL (about 1.5 years ago). it was fairly affordable back then. you might give them a try. i'd plug up the holes in it and cover it with plastic sheeting. it's a good idea to drain the fluid out of it too.

bw jones

Make sure it's dry. If they see fluid dripping out it can hang things up for awhile. Pretty much any carrier gets pissy when you ship hazmat without telling them and if you do tell them they charge the crap out of you. Plus, trans fluid is heavy and you'll be paying by the pound!:eek: I would try and band it so it can't come loose then make sure the pallet is just big enough to hold the trans because they charge by space as well. I also agree with wrapping it in plastic. As far as carriers go DHL is pretty cheap but they have a habit of being unreliable. Check Fedex Freight out as well and if they're close to the cheapest I'd go with them. HTH. james

Need to ship my trans to Texas from North AL., will be palletized, tied down with ratchet straps. Never done this before....any suggestions?

Thanks

I just shipped my trans last month to Michigan that way. Some eye hooks screwed into the pallet and a few of those small straps. Home depot sells them for 10 bucks for a pack of 4 straps. I also cut some scrap 1 x 3 boards and screwed it to the pallet to form a box around the trans pan. And like the other guys said...drain it, bag it, and plug the open holes.

I think next time I have to ship a transmission I'll do it this way:
cahallperformancetransmissions.com
Click on the Shipping Instructions....I think that would be the easiest and safest way...and you don't need to screw around with a pallet which means standard UPS or fedex should be able to ship it with minimal hassles.

Keep in mind with the gas prices the way they are, shipping might be on the high side especially if you ship it through a freight company.

I just shipped one from WI to NC.

1) Must be drained, then I took and filled the pan with paper towels to soak up what's left.

2) Wraped it in an old pool solar cover, I mean really wraped it up.

3) Shipped it UPS. I have received ones shipped this way with no issues at all. UPS would not insure it without a box, so had them put it in a double wall box.

4) 125 lbs, $110 to ship.

As long as you can get it in a cardboard box, and it stays under 150 pounds, you can send it UPS. It is probably going to be the cheapest way. But, like these other gents said, it must have the fluid out. If you know the box dimensions, weight, and the zip code of where it is going to, you can call your local UPS Store, and they can give you a price to ship. I do it at my store for people all the time.

Thanks
How does the company that is rebuilding it ship them out? What I mean is if they are taking yours back for a "core charge" have them ship you one and then use their box /container to ship them yours. Most companies that ship large bulky stuff have sturdy boxes and they do it all the time. BUT if they need yours because they are rebuilding yours then the other guys have good suggestions:D