Need help!!

dcentg

Hey Guys,
I just got my motor installed, primed and wired up last week. But when I tried to fire it up, it runs really ruff and backfires. So I though it would be the timing so I reset the timing and same results like the last. I checked the plugs and they were kinda of wet with fuel. So I clean up the plugs, dryed out the cylinders by blowing air into them, reset the timing again and same results, runs for a short time with back fires. The funny thing is when I disconected the orange line on the battery, then started the motor to burn the excess gas, it ran for a short time, but it ran pretty smoothly with out the back fire. So i tried to retimed it several more time to get it to run smooth but I just cant do it.:mad:
The ignition system I am running in the car is the MER 16 pos chip w/ modified low imped ecm for 75# inj.
I have been trying for almost a week now to try to find out what is going on but I kind of hit the wall and running out of ideas.:confused: Any help will be greatly appreicated.
Thanks , Marc

Do you have all of your grounds hooked back up? 4 straps total (two bolts on back of passenger side head ) Ground that connects to the turbo bracket. Also make sure all of your connections are good...MAF, O2 temp, TPS, IAC, O2 on manifold by down pipe,Cam sensor...Just check them all, make sure they are dry and well connected, ESP the grounds, if you painted the block then re attached the grounds it may have poor contact to the metal, which means bad connection. Just clean the area and try again.

I dont have any scan tool, but I always check for an "engine service"goes out before every start to check if any touble codes was stored. None was stored.
For the ground, I used the ractronix grounding system so grounding would not be an issue . I checked the connection to the sensors, wires looked good and hooked up nice and snug.
My buddy said I should try and reset the cam sensor again because of all the backfire I have been getting ,seemed that the ignition timing is really off.
I will try again this weekend to reset the cam sensor this weekend and let you guys know how things went. Wish me luck.;)

You may want to check again to make sure that your spark plug wires weren't accidentally installed wrong. Be sure that they all go to the right cylinder number. Good luck. Also check to make sure your TPS sensor is set correctly. Does it try to run any better if you hold the throttle slightly more open??
:cool:

timing chain?

Was the motor overhauled and rebuilt? Could it be the timing chain was installed one or two tooth off? Good luck.

Marc - Try replacing the chip and see what happens. My T-Type has the same setup (ME-R w/75's), so I have some extra chips you can try if you don't have any....

Interesting- shouldn't run with the orange ECM wire disconnected, as you've denied power to the ECM.

Cam sensor set with engine at 25 deg ATDC (compression), correct?

Hey Guys,
Thanks for for all the advice on getting the car running. When I went back and check on all the connection , I found that some of the spark plugs got mixed up to the cylinders:eek:. Also sorry for not getting back to you folks sooner, been off island on vaction.
Thanks again.;) Marc.