Need help removing lower control arm from spindle

Brocks GN

I am installing new shocks and springs up front. I already removed the tie rod and the sway bar from the spindle. I loosened up the castle nut on the lower control arm and pounded the crap out of it for about 1hr and it doesnt want to release from the ball joint. I jacked up the lower control arm and tried it that way with no luck. Any suggestions on what to do? :mad:

I just did this job a couple weekends ago also. I went to harbor freight and bought a ball joint tool for about 5 bucks. I think that is the oficial name of the tool, I've always heard them called pickle forks. They look like a 2 pronged fork and are tapered, thinner on the end then in the middle(like a wedge). then you simply take a hammer(preferebly heavy one) and drive the fork in between the ball joint and the control arm and they pop apart. Took mine about 5 or 6 blows to seperate. Just make sure you are containing the energy of the spring somehow. I left the nut threaded on the end for safety and also supported the control arm with a jack then when it was seperated lowered the jack releasing the spring tension and removed the spring. I beleive that autozone also loans out that tool if you have one nearby. Good luck and watch out for that spring tension. Jeff

Did you have to replace your ball joint after using the pickle fork? Iam tring to avoid replacing it TIA

No, I got lucky and was also careful to try to not tear the boot I really watched how I placed the fork in there and tried not to catch the boot. The ball joint still seemed to be in good shape and supposedly were replaced just before I bought the car about 4 years ago. still seemed ok to me. If you are careful I think you will be ok. Don't know if this helped but I also put a liuttle grease on the pickle fork on the ball joint side to try to not catch and tear the boot, probably didn't do a GD thing to help but made me feel better. Good Luck Jeff

You have to do this with a sledge hammer. Make sure you have the nut on the last couple of threads. Take the sledge and hit the knuckle real hard in the area of the ball joint stud. The force will distort the knuckle which in turns relieves the tension against the stud. If it doesn't pop loose after 2 or 3 blows than you're not doing it right or something is really FUBAR.

I do this all of the time in the boneyard. I never found one that didn't budge doing it this way.

Make sure you pull the brake dust shields off. They like to hang up on the control arm and they'll just get ruined or torn up in the process if you dont.

So you dont have to hit it directly on the bolt with the castle nut? You just hit it hard around that area?

well the driver's side I had to use a pickle fork but the passenger's side came right off with one hit :rolleyes: