Need engine rebuild in Denton area....

Chet

Looking for a referral for a shop in my area that can/will rebuild my '86 TR engine. I'm told I have a bad piston/piston ring. Recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

This place is right in Denton. http://www.waynecalvertengines.com/ There's a guy there, Bob, who worked on mine. I'd make sure he works on yours. He has a TR that he gave to his daughter. He rebuilt mine. It was a complete rebuild.

I supplied all the parts except for the ARP bolts installed throughout and a few other things. They tested heads and block for cracks, rebuilt heads with 3 angle vavle job, line honed, new bearings throughout, reconditioned crank, bored .30 over, balanced everything and reassembled. The cost was about $2,700 with me delivering and re-installing my own engine.

This was fairly recent and I've got about 500 miles on the new engine. I live 10 miles from Denton, I'll drive my GN over and take you for a ride. :D I'll PM you my number.

Thanks for the reply, Guess. As for Wayne Calvert, I just called that shop yesterday and the guy I spoke with said he doesn't want to mess with these engines. I suppose you just have to ask for the right person? $2700 sounds a lot better than what I would've expected but I guess doing the removal and installation diy helps keep the labor costs down. Never pulled an engine before but if you find yourself with lots of free time and the inclination to help, maybe we could work something out, lol. My car is currently sitting at my brother's house in Sanger. That's where she broke and that's where she still sits. But yeah man, I'm always up to go for a ride or check out other TRs. I'll keep an eye out for your PM. Thanks again!

Hmm Wayne Calvert is the owner as far as I know. He's getting up there in age. I guess their business is good that they can turn down work or they didn't like building mine.

Somebody post J & L enterprises info & phone number please. There the only place I know close by that specializes in our engines.

I'd be glad to help if the engine needs to come out. I don't charge money. Maybe just all the free diet coke I can drink. :)

How many miles on the engine and are you sure it's a ring and piston?

Also, do you have a scan master? We could put my scan master on your car and see if it is throwing any trouble codes. Maybe it's something simple.

Yeah, good question. It started running rough and pushing copious amounts of oil through the breather, and obviously lots of smoke coming from the engine. I took it to Pioneer Auto next to Sonic. The guy showed me that my PCV valve was moving freely eliminating that possibility. He then did a power down check (I think that's what he called it...disconnecting plug wires one at a time)...he said he was positive it was a piston ring. There is fuel getting into the oil. Although now I'm curious since I saw another post from a guy with identical symptoms and some folks were pointing him to the head gasket. I don't have a scanmaster yet, but sounds like it would be money well spent. The car has 86k on the clock. Yeah, if you want to get out of the house for a bit Saturday evening, would love to get your thoughts on it. BTW, I'm sure we can do better than Diet Coke:) Thanks!

Yuck. Gas in the oil sucks. I don't know enough to Say for sure. Does the car have any modifications ?

This should tell you something from the other thread.:D
I second Arlington Machine in Arlington, Texas. I live in nw Kansas and that is where I had my engine done.
214-417-4347
214-240-8469 cell 511 E Main

Sounds like Arlington Machine is the way to go. I'm not opposed to getting more power out of it, but my primary goal is durability and reliability....for the best price possible (duh, right?). Any ideas on what I might end up paying if I deliver the engine to them? Thanks for all the help folks!

The reliability factor increases the slower you want to go.;) What I'd do first is to call them and get a rough idea of how much if they supply the parts and then do some searching on the board to see what you want to put in it. There's several options on how you want to put the engine together and some parts will be less but will work the same. Forged pistons are a good insurance factor and Don got the ones for his engine from me. I had an extra set.:rolleyes: TRW makes a good piston for the turbo engines but they've been getting hard to find of late. You also have JE's and a few others out there but that's more $. First things first though, get the engine out and tear it down so you know what you're working with.

As far as simple upgrades go the 204/214 cam that Don put in his is a good cam and with the right combo of parts it's gone into the 10's, but so has the stock cam. Cheap and simple upgrades like DIY porting will help the engine breath better and make power easier. The more power you make means that it will cost more overall and just a simple build like a 204/214 cam, TRW forged pistons, and do the rest as a "stock" rebuild would put you in the 11 to 12 second range with some alky injection. Don's car is capable of 11's or better if he decides to turn the boost up and get some track time with good sticky tires.;) If you just do a basic engine like Don did and keep the boost around 15-16 PSI you would have a very fun driving car that would be very reliable for quite some time.:cool:

One other thing you might want to do is hook up with Don for a ride and see how his car behaves. If you like the way it drives them we might be albe to set you up with some lessons in porting and show you some simple mods that you can do yourself fairly easily to help.

Lots of good info here Charlie, I really appreciate it. I think Don and I are going to try and meet up this weekend. Looking forward to going for a ride in his car and picking his brain about his build. Will be in touch. Thanks again!

Not a problem Chet. Make sure Don gives it a good WOT hit on a nice straight away to give you a better idea of what it's able to do.;) If we can get Kinglouis, you, and Don here at the same time I think I could light the smoker up and do a little cooking.:) And not just food either. Still need to do some work on the new frame for my car to set everything up like I want.:D

Check with Watt at Watt's Shop in Lavon...good engine builder and my boy Trevor Johnson does some cylinder head work out of there....he's a Turbo Buick dude.

Yeah Charlie, we'll have to hook that up some time. Sounds like a good time.
Kyle, good info. I have a couple of good leads now, it's good to have some options. Thanks!

Don's car is capable of 11's or better if he decides to turn the boost up and get some track time with good sticky tires.;) :cool:

I had an Alky kit in my shopping cart just the other day. I removed it after I saw the total on the body bushing kit, full set of fillers and power logger. :eek: Maybe this winter.

Chet and I have plans to meet up this Saturday sometime.