Need an alternator. Which one?

TireFryer

The New Kid
I need an alternator. Only have 12.4 volts at wot and don't want any of those "voltage boosters". Who rebuilds them or where do I get one that will work properly? Anything special about our alternators or can I just go get one from autozone?

Ours are typically 120-140 amp, and should make 13,8+ at RPM.
Make sure it's got a good ground, and cables, then have it checked.
TIMINATOR

If you have the option(rare I know) find a reputable shop around you that can rebuild your original.

I got mine rebuilt(turned out brushes were still pretty decent) & upped to 140A. Cost less than the Chinese crapshoot you get nowadays.

Just my suggestion.

I need an alternator. Only have 12.4 volts at wot and don't want any of those "voltage boosters". Who rebuilds them or where do I get one that will work properly? Anything special about our alternators or can I just go get one from autozone?
If you're currently running a factory alternator, one commonly overlooked difference is most aftermarket alternators will come with a different size pulley than your factory unit.

Our local shop has more than 1 grade of repair parts. We always ask for "the good stuff".

I recently got a Remy unit from Rockauto. $80 and it’s perfect. 14.2 volts

A0BB0AE1-B84B-4732-BDE4-ADEF65A86C08.jpg

Are you getting that 14.2 volts at speed warm? My alternator puts out 13.8 at startup and falls to 12.2 as it warms up.
Just went for a spin in the goonie wagooon to check it.
Looks like 14.5-14.6V warmed up in vacuum:
14_5v.PNG

And 14.3V in boost:
14_3V.PNG

I would read post #14 and #18 in the following link before replacing your alternator. If you still have poor voltage, then consider the alternator.
Alternator upgrade

I threw a casper volt booster on that remy alternator today and it definitely responds. 16.6 volts yowza!

I went with a Powermaster from Summit after going through several units from Autozone that would drop voltage at anything over 5000. The unit I bought has an adjustable voltage regulator that will go to 17 volts. Expensive but...

Bryan

the battery and fuel pump combo you wish to run in some circumstances must be looked at.
If you are running a lithium battery I know antigravity doesn't want any more alternator capability higher than stock.

I would also be careful about running higher voltage to certain pumps as well.
The really high end pumps don't need alot of voltage also and supply all the fuel the car will ever need