Name that sound...

83 Cannon

Got a '84 bone stock 3-speed and I just added my 5606 Moogs on the front and my I forgot springs on the back.
So I have this issue where when I'm riding, I keep hearing/ feeling this rough grinding noise. Now when I hit a little bump (where the concrete isn't really even with the road) and get a slight lift in the car, It's smooth...when I settle back down even, it's back.

I had a mechanic (which I no longer deal with) do a number of things on my car because of my work schedule and later when I got a set of tires put on, I noticed my new rotors had heat/ rough patches on the ends of them; right above the cottor pins on the edges. Could this be the problem? The rim isn't set flush on the rotor?? I sure hope not!

It was built in 84 and rubber starts to deteriorate in 5 years. I'd honestly say this could be a suspension bushing or body bushing.

Did the guy know what he was doing when he installed the front rotors? I was at forest city auto parts and a customer brought in 3 sets of rotors for warranty. To make a long story short. He was using an impact to tighten the castle nut on the rotor:eek: the rotors will discolor from heat
Jack it up and spin the front wheels and see if there is any noise. Make sure backing plates arent hitting back of rotor. You said car is stock. Does that mean stock wheels?

@ OIL MAN...no dual exhaust, but I did think it had something to do with the drive axle.

@ charlief1...I really do know that...smh...just the damn money and nickel and dime doing it man! I kinda wish I had the time to take it all down and replace everything but...work and bills man...work and bills. And yes polyurethane all the way through!

@chopped39...man you hit on the head. I had my old mechanic do that and a list of other things but...:confused:. The wheels are stock with 14 inchers and hubcaps all the way around.And backing plates...?? I'll have to check that. But its more of a heavy/ dense sound; heavy metal (giggidy) rubbing against weight and rotation...idk. Its not a light sound like a dust shield up against the rotor tho...too late.

@eric_1984ttype...I believe that's the issue right there! They didn't either do it or do it right! That's exactly what it sounds and feels like. When I drive, I just feel a constant grinding/ rumbling under my left foot...smh...drive shaft makes a totally different vibration and is not felt in the same area as the driver wheel.

try jacking that corner of the car up. Then try to wiggle the tire side to side and up and down. If the bearing is loose it wont take much force to move it and should move in both directions. Then try to rotate the wheel. If there is a signifigant amount of resistence then it could be to tight.

Easy way to check the suspension is put it on an alignment rack or drive on rack where you can get under it and bounce it up and down. As far as the body bushings go, put a jack under the body on the side and jack it up. You aren't trying to lift the whole thing off the ground. Stick your hand in between the frame and the body before you start lifting it up. As you lift it see if the frame starts to seperate from the body or if it lifts with it. That should give you some idea of the condition of the body bushings.:)