N/A Builds

I run 14.60's in a 2600 pound race weight car at an elevation of 4600 feet. Not too bad considering I have 600 bucks total in the engine. Needs more compression to really wake it up.

Current well detuned combo has run 11.58 @ 116. The last production 4.1 ran 12.74 @ 106. The last pump gas 4.1 ran 13.6's... all at 3250 lbs. GB

unboostedv6, What combos were you using to run the these et.'s, those times are really good.

13.6 pump gas was 10.5:1,Weiand 7542 intake,solid roller(FuzzyGN has the cam specs), 650 Holley, 4.56 rear, 3500 rpm converter, TH-350... 12.7 was 12.2:1, same cam, same rear, same carb converted to alcohol, 4400 rpm converter...latest combo is in the sig. GB

wow those are nice numbers...how do you like the wieand intake? have you had any experience with the stock 4.1, and the edel intake? I am looking to build a nice street setup. Thanks,

I never ran the Edelbrock. I'm not a big fan of dual planes on a v6. I have run the stock 4.1,then ported it,then a Weiand 7541, then ported it, then the 7542, then ported it. On the street, the ported stock manifold with a bone stock Q-Jet from a '76 350 LeSabre worked very well as long as the cam didn't get too big. GB

I agree with Greg on the stock manifold and carb are hard to beat for the price. Excellent performance right out of the box. I actually did have an Edelbrock Performer on my car for awhile and liked it. IMO it is the aftermarket manifold of choice if the compression is stock or close to stock. At very least use a dual plane of some kind with a small open spacer. It only takes about 1" spacer to get the best of both worlds. I have an open plenum manifold now and without compression, it is a bit lazy. I am leaving at least 4 or 5 tenths on the table due to poor 60 foot times. I leave on the two step at 3700 RPM and it falls on its face and then gets after it. Increasing the launch RPM didn't help. Gears aren't the issue either at 4.30's with a 25.5" tall tire. So, for a motor below 9:1 I suggest a dual plane with an open spacer.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, would you say using a 1" open spacer with the 4.1 intake would make the performance of the 4.1 intake better? (Is the 4.1 intake considered dual plane?)

Also, did you have any trouble with knocking on the edel intake with the egr removed?

Do you think it would be better for me, performance wise to run lower gears than 3.42's. I'm curious because you and fuzzygn use gears in the 4's.

Let's just say the 160 mile round trip to and from the race track was not pleasant with the 4.56's and the 2.5" Flowmaster deal. That's one irritating noise at 35-3700 rpm for an hour and a half straight...kept my earplugs in the glovebox. That said - It all depends on how much you'll be driving it where. My next mod after the rollbar goes in will be a set of 5.13's, but I don't think a small tire'd street car should have anything deeper than 3.73's which won't yield any significant performance improvement over your 3.42's

It's my first car and is going to be my high school daily driver. The smart thing to do with the gas prices today is to use 3.42's decent milage and decent takeoffs. What track do you go to? I see your from Poughkeepsie which is about 45 minutes to an hour south of me. I live in exit 21 the Cairo/Catskill exit.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, would you say using a 1" open spacer with the 4.1 intake would make the performance of the 4.1 intake better? (Is the 4.1 intake considered dual plane?)

The 4.1 is a duel plane. A 1" phenolic spacer helps a lot. As far as an open spacer, for street it's a waste. (I read this in the V-6 performance guide). The pace car was opened up on the intake manifold. But Ruggles did'nt recommend it for street speeds. Just a waste if you are'nt flying around banks over 100 MPH.

Also, did you have any trouble with knocking on the edel intake with the egr removed?

I get knock till this very day after a good hard run. Both the 4.1 and the Edelbrock gave me knock. (The 4.1 had the EGR, the Edelbrock does not come with EGR).

I'm thinking my advance springs are toast. (They may be loosing their tension and weaken up after a hard run). :confused: Never was able to figure out why. The new advance springs will go in in a few weeks.

I'm a points member at Lebanon Valley Dragway, VK. The track is about halfway between Albany and Pittsfield, Mass on US 20. I know your area as my job takes me to Catskill a few times a year. Yeah, keep the 3.42's since it's your driver. GB

The only reason I run a silly gear is because I have a trailer! My track is about 50 miles one way and I only have a 12 gallon tank on the car. I have no radio or climate control, the track is only open at night, and it has 3" turndowns right under the doors coming from the short Race Magnum mufflers. Talk about unpleasent to drive on the highway. The 3.42's are an excellent choice for something you need to drive further than a gas station.

The carb spacer is all about what your combo likes. I tried open, 4-hole, a combonation of the two, 1/2", 1", 1.5" and they all acted different. My combo with the Performer liked the 1" open the best. It was mostly a track car at that point but I did drive it a bunch on the street then because I had (only) 3.73 gears. I never had a detonation problem with that set-up but I have ported heads and only about 8.5 to one compression. With the large-ish cam it bleeds some of that off. Not sure what the manifold would be like with a smaller cam.

I have a street N/A Regal for now and I use a Kenne Bell Mark II cam, which is not the least conservative of the KB Buick cams but one notch up, (2 notches up from OEM). My heads are also ported and have the big 1.77" valves.

As far as gearing, if it's not a track car and you're keeping it street and it's an N/A, max gearing should be fine at 3.23.

A 3.42 is way too much and you'll suffer a lot on the open highway, (have you seen the price of gas lately?). Go with a 4-speed transmission if you still want 3.42 gears. That will help a whole lot.

I've got a set of 3.42's in my garage. If I ever upgrade to a 4-speed transmission I may give it a shot but for now it's just storage. I currently use 3.23 gears with a slightly modified stock 350 and this set-up works fantastic for a street car. Great milage also. :D

I have been contemplating a gear choice here lately as well. Right now I have the horrible stock 2.41 gear, which just doesn't work well with my mods obviously.

KB Mark 2R cam
Ported heads w/ 1.77 valves
KB Single Plane intake w/ holley 600
9.5 to 1 Compression

I want to still be able to drive the car to the track which is about 15-20 miles, mostly highway, but I want max performace at the track too. I don't think I would necessarily mind 4.10's as long as they would give me a notable advantage over say 3.42 or 3.73's. The car will mostly be drag raced and cruise around the city which is why I don't think the 4.10's will kill me around town. Anyone who has run these, what do you recommend????

Thanks,
Aaron

I'm a points member at Lebanon Valley Dragway, VK. The track is about halfway between Albany and Pittsfield, Mass on US 20. I know your area as my job takes me to Catskill a few times a year. Yeah, keep the 3.42's since it's your driver. GB

I have been to Lebanon Valley once before but not to race. Do you have to be a member there to race? What days can you bring your car and how much does it cost? I've always wanted to know this but never talked to anyone that knew.
Thanks