Mystery Converter

belsie

Bought this a few years ago and was told it was too tight for his combo, it is a lockup but not sure of the specs. Hope it looks familiar to someone ( it is the same size as stock). Happy New Year!!!!!

Attachments

• Mystery Converter (3).jpg
    Mystery Converter (3).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
  • Mystery Converter.jpg
    Mystery Converter.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
What's the mystery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do the labels mean? Maybe a stock re-pitched??
It's a stock converter. CBCF is the factory code. C=2004R, B=2025rpm stall, second C=lockup clutch, F=3 square mounting pads
It is not re-stalled. That converter is stock.

Thanks for the replies, sadly I had no education in this area and was told it was a "Orange Stripe lockup" with 2200 to 2400 stall speed. I felt it would be a nice step up from stock! Is there any way to be sure of this claim or am I sitting on another D5 ? Are they worth re-stalling or am I better off going with a new style? All thoughts & advice are appreciated..

Is there any way to be sure of this claim or am I sitting on another D5 ? Are they worth re-stalling or am I better off going with a new style?..
You are sitting on a stock D5 converter. With your setup and assuming this is mostly a street car I would go with an 10" Edge 2600-2800 LU converter. Edge makes a nice converter and it won't break the bank. They are priced around $550. I use them in all my customer's cars and my own.

Bought this a few years ago and was told it was too tight for his combo, it is a lockup but not sure of the specs. Hope it looks familiar to someone ( it is the same size as stock). Happy New Year!!!!!
Thanks for the replies, sadly I had no education in this area and was told it was a "Orange Stripe lockup" with 2200 to 2400 stall speed. I felt it would be a nice step up from stock! Is there any way to be sure of this claim or am I sitting on another D5 ? Are they worth re-stalling or am I better off going with a new style? All thoughts & advice are appreciated..
It is a stock Turbo Buick converter that has never been restalled. I have a new one here. It is not worth re-stalling . Protorque back years ago had the best 12" converter. Customers would push them 2800-3200 depending on the car and have gone 10.70's with it. The best option would be one of my 245mm 3021 series converters. I can set the stall custom for your application if needed. This new technology I developed is turbo specific and I am constantly designing new test pieces to advance on what I have already done. Do some research on the 3021 converter or give me a call and I will answer any questions you may have. 516-285-1103

It would have a painted 2" orange or red stripe along the seem if it was cracked open and re-stalled to one of those ,much better off with Dave's 3021.

I found this in one of my searches for the 3021. I thought it was awesome so I saved it.
To gain 9 mph in the quarter is incredible, if I'm not mistaken, that equals 90 more hp to the ground. Who doesn't want 90 hp for less than 600 bucks?

IMG_2943.PNG

With all due respect..........where would most of us go to get the best advice / best bang for the buck and overall least grief once in the car???? Please PM me with your responses as I realize this is a wide open area of ideas....................as always all opinions & advice are appreciated.............Happy New Year...may we all go faster in 2017.....

With all due respect..........where would most of us go to get the best advice / best bang for the buck and overall least grief once in the car???? Please PM me with your responses as I realize this is a wide open area of ideas....................as always all opinions & advice are appreciated.............Happy New Year...may we all go faster in 2017.....

Although I feel this forum is the best place to go for advice I have a feeling you will get as many varied PM's as posts. The best bang for the buck would probably be to post a want ad to see what's out there.
A used 2800 rpm restalled D5 can be had for a couple hundred bucks and is a step up. It's hard to tell the condition of a used converter and would still be old technology, it would work well if your not looking for the ultimate time slip.
There is piece of mind in purchasing new parts as you know what you are getting and would be less grief once installed.
It is easy to get caught up with looking in the Summit Racing catalog to see brand new converters selling for half the price of the ones specifically designed for the Turbo Buicks not just for generic N/A 200R4s.

I'm just stating my experience/ realization when I was looking into a different converter.

Any of the trans vendors are more than willing to share their recommendations as well.