My new transcooler/lines install with pics

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Just thought I would post this to show my trans cooler with fan installation. I used the B&M 70297 SUPERCOOLER. This has a Spal fan installed on it. Made up my own brackets and mounted it on the passenger side under the battery. Got rid of the stock lines and ran teflon braided -6 hose to the trans. Ran it thru the frame rail as picture shows (still have to trim the hole so it doesn't rub. Then the hoses come out another hole in the frame as shown.

I had two lengths of 10 ft hose so had plenty of length so instead of coming right out of the frame and going to the trans I ended up running it back to the crossmember and then along the side of the trans. With the extra length it was easy to cut the hoses to the length I wanted under the car and then installed the fittings. Used 90 degree fitting on both ends of both hoses. Didn't use the factory fittings as TCI has fittings that go right into the trans and have -6 threads on it. The proper thread is 1/4" STRAIGHT pipe threads NOT the usual NPT threads. Using the NPT tapered threads MIGHT crack the case.

The brackets for the cooler, just made some up out of steel strap and bolted them to the front bumper and took two pointed bolts in the battery area and replaced them with longer regular bolts.

You can run the lines all the way thru the frame if you want to the front of the car but didn't want issues with them coming in contact with the coil spring. Where I ran them keeps them away from the springs. Look at your drivers side frame and you will see where the fuel line comes thru the frame, same deal. Was a bit of a bitch getting the lines thru, used an electricians fish line to get thru and then pulled the lines thru.

Trans mount is a HR poly mount and I do not use the stock cat hanger. Works fine with no rattles.

Trans is freshly rebuilt by BISON and running a 9.5" PTC non lockup converter. And yes, have a freshly painted dust shield to put back on after I fire it up for the first time.

Attachments

• braidedlinedfrontframe.jpg
    braidedlinedfrontframe.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,681
  • braidedlinesfromfront.jpg
    braidedlinesfromfront.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2,681
  • transbraidedinstalled.jpg
    transbraidedinstalled.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,727
  • transcooler1.jpg
    transcooler1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,672
  • transcooler2.jpg
    transcooler2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,620
More pics, obviously haven't wired up the fan yet.

Also installed a B&M trans temp gauge, painted the bezel to match my VDO gauges and painted the black pod for it with Kibans interior paint. To the right of the console under the radio was a perfect fit for this. All wiring was done under the console and wire to trans was routed thru the floor where the shifter cable goes.

If you decide to go with the braided lines, one thing I learned is to install the hoses on the trans BEFORE putting in the TV cable! Not enough room there to tighten things up with the TV cable installed first. Found that out the hard way. And what is the deal with the link on the TV cable. You would think they would have had a bend on the end of it to keep it from slipping out of the eyelet fo the cable!

Attachments

• transcooler3.jpg
    transcooler3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,351
  • translinesby cutout.jpg
    translinesby cutout.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,353
  • translinesinframe.jpg
    translinesinframe.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2,335
  • transmount.jpg
    transmount.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,361
  • transtempgauge.jpg
    transtempgauge.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,319
Jeez, that undercarrige is KLEEEEEEEEEEEN!
Are those custom made cooler lines? I would like a set when I install mine.

Clean install Mark. I look foward to seeing the new setup in action. Should be fun on the highway.

Looks good! I now have my S-blade fan mounted to my new B&M 70274 cooler.

Question, With it mounted there don't it interfere with the Alky pump? I wanted to mount mine there but was concerned that I couldn't get to the Alky pump if I needed to. Do you have the fan set up to "Push" or "Pull" ?

PS: Does anyone know where I can buy a Thermal switch to turn on the trans cooler fan at 180*??

SW.

mark, you want to make me a set of those lines and send me the fittings i need? im going to be getting a new trans with the same cooler you have.

or maybe a list of part #'s so i can order the correct fittings?

Thanks

brent

Brent will PM you later.

Oh yeah, fan is a puller and not reversible so wasn't sure which way to go but thought having the fan towards the road surface would be better. Didn't feel like sucking road dust up into the car. Figure there is going to be SOME fresh air sneaking into the area above the fan. Only drawback it if you are pulling into a show that involves going of dusty areas as that might stir things up. Put a manual switch in the ashtray panel to shut it down if I want.

Eliminating the cooler in the radiator with this setup and hope it works OK, that is why I decided to install a temp gauge so I can monitor it. If it needs help and has to go back into the radiator then just have to do a little bit more plumbing.

If all works out, will probably eventually go to a radiator with NO coolers in it as I just eliminated the oil cooler lines too.

The way I have this mounted there is no way the alky pump would work in this area. You could always mount the cooler between the intercooler pipes but didn't feel this had enough area around it for good circulation.

Very nice Mark, looks great! And I agree, that undercarriage is CLEAN!!! My external cooler is all FUBAR'd so Ive got to do something about it, which means I need to deal with my oil cooler. Again...:redface: Oil cooler is currently ziptied to the core support and trans cooler hard lines the previous owner "created"...

What size line is that for the cooler? I have about 20' or so of -6AN line I scored cheap and was gonna use it for my trans cooler at some point. Not sure if I want to delete the factory cooler and run a fan or not... Not sure yet. Got a Eaton posi install to deal with first.:D

Keep up the good work! When I get some money, I'll send some your way!:)

I used Earls - 6 teflon hose with 4 90 degree steel fittings. You have to use the special fitting for teflon hose.

The Teflon is pricey, a little overkill for trans line. I only use it on HydroBoost & Steering high psi. side. Very nice setup tho'. :biggrin:

This is how mounted mine too. Pull air from the engine compartment downward. Mine is easy to remove so I can get to my alky pump.

...Oh yeah, fan is a puller and not reversible so wasn't sure which way to go but thought having the fan towards the road surface would be better. Didn't feel like sucking road dust up into the car. Figure there is going to be SOME fresh air sneaking into the area above the fan. Only drawback it if you are pulling into a show that involves going of dusty areas as that might stir things up. Put a manual switch in the ashtray panel to shut it down if I want.

Eliminating the cooler in the radiator with this setup and hope it works OK, that is why I decided to install a temp gauge so I can monitor it. If it needs help and has to go back into the radiator then just have to do a little bit more plumbing.

Correction on the adapters that go into the transmission. They are made by ATI not TCI! Part # is 925137

Mark,
Nice install! I'm probably gonna do the same. Two quick questions for ya. 1) Where did you put your trans temp sender? In the trans pan? If so, where did you weld the bung. I wouldn't want the probe to hit anything once I put the pan back on. 2) Where did you buy that little single-gauge pod under your dash? Thanks!

Put the trans temp sensor in the pan itself. Have an aftermarket thick aluminum deep pan so just had to have the hole drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT sensor. Will try to take some pics of that tonite.

The gauge is a B&M temp sensor and the pod comes with it. I just painted it with interior paint to match the dash.