My new 1987 Regal turbo and a good story...

1987RegalTurbo

Boost Addict
Hi everyone,

My names Derek, and here's my turbo Buick story. For as long as I can remember there's been an 87' Regal turbo sitting in my neighborhood. I've driven past it a million times and always wanted to knock on the door and inquire. On 8/5/11, I drove past it and saw a small yellow sign in the window. I stopped and knocked on the door. An old man (70 or so) answered the door. I said, "I see your Regals sale?" He said that he was tired of it sitting is his driveway and wanted it gone. He's owned it for 15+ years and informed me that he was driving it one day and went to accelerate and got no throttle response so he parked it, and it has sat ever since. He said that it would need a new battery and didn't think it would start. The car has 105,000 miles and was in fairly good shape. It's silver with a good deal of sunfade but ZERO dents or dings anywhere! The rockers had a good amount of rust but that was the only spots. Now the part I was nervous about, asking what he was looking to get for it. I said, "So how much are you looking to get for her?" He said, "Listen, I'm getting old and don't have the time or energy to get the car back on the road. If you bring me $800, it's yours. :eek: HOLY CRAP! I thought he was gonna ask at least $3000 or $4000. The next day I brought a battery, some tools, and a can of starting fluid. I connected the battery, sprayed in some starting fluid, and with 2 cranks she came to life for 10 seconds or so :wink:, and would shut down. Long story short, I'm pretty sure it's got a fuel issue. Fuel pump, filter, injectors, etc. The brakes pushed to the floor, and this was obviously something I couldn't hobble home in. He came out, and I gave him the $800. He signed over the title and gave me the keys. It was towed home and is now sitting in my garage. My plans are to go through the car and replace EVERYTHING that needs it, pretty much restore to the best of my ability on a semi-limited budget. So as a VERY general statement, do you guys have any suggestions? And thanks for taking the time to listen to my story, and I look forward to learning alot from this site!

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the Turbo Buick community. You really scored with your Buick. The first thing I would replace is the fuel pump. My story on my WE4 is similar. It sat for 7-yrs and would start and run only a few seconds. I did a spring cleaning and replaced the fuel pump and injectors and it started right up and ran fine. I have been fixing it up ever since.

RJ

Thanks RJ,

Does anyone know any good parts catalogs for G-Bodies. I'm looking for some body panels and what not

I'd like to put a Walbro fuel pump in the car, and was wondering what size I should use. It's going to be only slightly modded, so is a 255 ok? Does anyone have a recommended part number? Thanks in advance

1st welcome aboard.
2nd Lets see some pics.
3rd the Walbro 255s are fine but there have been problems with them in the past. There are some new pumps out there are very nice and depending on your goals I'd recommend this pump simply for the 3yr no fault warranty. Also when upgrading the pump you definately want a hot wire kit to make sure the pump is getting the voltage it needs to work to it's potential.
4. List what your goals are and then decide if your going to work up to them or go for the best part by part. I'm going for the best part by part simply because everytime you buy something and sell it later for what you really wanted your going to end up spending more money in the long run.
5. READ READ READ. Theres a wealth of knowledge here for your taking. If you can't find it, figure out the right section to post your question and then ask away as people are always glad to help answer your questions.

Awsome deal!!! Welcome aboard,imo there is no replacement for this site, great people with more knowledge than any book, you have a problem or any kind of questions just ask!!! ......now get researching ask some questions and get some pics posted!!! Thanks Mike

Thanks for all the support guys. I'm outta town until Friday, but I'll get some pics up of the Regal as soon as I get back. Like I said, it needs a little help but still in pretty good shape

damn! sounds like a hell of a score. the engine alone is worth more than that.

He said - It's going to be only slightly modded,

HA HA - We all know how THIS is going to end. He has NO idea how addictive these are.

Welcome to the board and good score. PLEASE ask lots of questions especially before you buy something.

You are in a great position since you already know you are going to have to replace a bunch of stuff that you probably would upgrade later - Sooooo do it right the first time. Ex: If you are going to replace the injectors, get some 50's or 60's so you have the capability later and if you don't need them, they won't hurt you.

As others have said, do the spring cleaning and find out what is bad. Get a new fuel pump and hotwire it. Get an adj fuel pressure regulator, a boost gauge and a scanmaster or similar. IF the radiator or fan is bad, many of us have the F-body rad and dual fans - cheap and great.

As I was upgrading my car years ago, I would sell my old stuff to someone a few steps behind me and buy stuff from those a few steps ahead of me. Lots of good people on here to buy good stuff from.

Have fun

Thanks for all of the support guys! I will hopefully have those pics up today or tomorrow morning. You guys might be able to point me in a few directions after seeing some pics.

Did you mention where you live? That way you can zero in on the members close to you that might have stuff you can use.

Did you mention where you live? That way you can zero in on the members close to you that might have stuff you can use.

Gotta agree here. Go to your user controls and add a little info like location and vehicle info in your sig. This will help others in your area to help you. Also post a "hello" in your states section so they may be able to come over and get her running right.:)

Welcome to the site. Do your homework before you buy parts. lots of good info and good people here.

Happy spooling...

Mike Barnard