My First Turbo Car, 83 Buick T-Type leaking trans fluid

nothingman

So I've only had this T-Type about a month and the guy i bought it from said it needed an oil pan gasket... So I did that and while it was up I noticed it leaking trans fluid... thought it was the pan gasket but I'm now pretty sure it's leaking from the speedometer pinion and the shift shaft. So I put some lucas oil trans fix fluid and didn't run or move the car and the next couple days it was leaking a lot of fluid onto the ground. Is this a common issue, if it's the shift shaft seal can i replace that seal without removing the trans? i'd take a better look but unfortunately i just moved to the place i'm living so i only have a small jack n two jack stands n no extra cash to get better stuff.... so it's tough for me to get in there an really see :( the puddle coming out from under the cardboard is the trans fluid that got dirty from leaking.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0421021659.jpg
    0421021659.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 70
First thing I'd do is clean it up real good and determine exactly where the leak is coming from. Once clean, a fresh piece of card board or something under there should give you an idea where it is coming off the trans. Might be up higher, could still be the pan gasket. It doesn't take too much to crush a fresh gasket and have a leak with a new gasket(easy on the snug down, I wouldn't even call it tightening). Pan could be bent, or it could be those other places you mentioned.

alright well i got the car up a little higher and it is definitely leaking from those two areas so i've ordered everything including the special tool to remove the shift shaft seal... The speedometer gear had a groove warn in it from some aftermarket seal?? and the gear housing was brittle plastic n just kinda broke apart so i order up the only one i could find and that was the billet bullet style from http://www.transmissioncenter.net but they don't have the 31 tooth gear that i need and I've been searching all over online for the past couple hours and i can't find one anywhere not even ebay??? does anyone know where i can get a 31 tooth speedo gear or would i be safe going with 30 teeth?

thanks in advance :)

I'm not for certain... I was replacing the gear that was in it, which was an off colored white 31-tooth. I ordered up a 30-tooth because I got tired of looking and the 31-tooth I have has a groove warn in it. I will eventually be replacing the rims and tires because the slob who owned the car before me liked to bounce off curbs and the rims are chewed up :(

Thanks for the help!

Quick question... Does anyone know the stock number of teeth the Speedo Drive Gear has in an 83 Buick T-Type, 200-4r? It's hard for me to see in there and I don't want to take the pan off if I don't have to. I think it was the 10 tooth green gear but I wanted to make sure?

Thanks