My 1986 GN - should I keep it?

green95ss

Poor car collector
This is my car (over the past few years). The car may be for sale soon as well, but I don't know yet. I'm deciding on whether to keep this car and sell my '87 Porsche 911 or vice versa.

Both cars are in really nice shape, but the resale on the 911 is really good compared to the GN. I can't afford to keep both cars, so I do have to decide on one leaving my stable. The maintenance/repair bills scare me a bit on the 911, though... What are your thoughts (though I'm sure the answers will be slanted towards the GN on this forum :) )?

Thanks,

Guhan :confused:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=lespxil.3123fiux&x=0&y=-2f7gku

Between the two cars, the 911 has depreciated probably as much as it ever will, but to me it appears that they don't appreciate in value much after that. The Buicks seem to be increasing in value bit by bit / year by year. I know exactly where you are at with the 911 - half afraid to drive it "irresponsibly" due to the potential repair costs. I love my 911 as almost automotive artwork, but it'd go before my Buick. :)

I'd keep the GN. :)
Saw a nice 'Vette in the slideshow too. Love that body style with the metal bumpers, and the L88 hood rocks too. :cool:

Steve

It's a tough call because the Buick is fast and pretty rare, but the Porsche is a blast to drive--probably a little more fun than the Buick because it has great brakes, great handling, and adequate power (not a straight-line car). The main issue comes into play with service and repairs.

The Buick needs a new headliner, AC repair, and it is running very rich (stinky). The Porsche needs a new carpet, oil leak fix, and a new clutch. The work on the Buick will total around $600, and the work on the Porsche is about $2000. I just got a new job that is a 5 mile commute, so neither car will be exercised that much on sunny days.

I don't know. I change my mind every day... :frown:

Sell the Impala - use the money to fix everything on the GN and the 911.
Then you will have 2 pristing pieces of automotive history that will blow the doors of an impala any day of the week and on any road they choose!
;)

Here's a pic of the Porsche and my wife and daughter. You can see the GN under-wraps behind it. You can also see "Ole Blue" in the far background--237K (305 carb'ed w/ 3-spd manual+granny low) and it runs perfectly! GM has always put much more quality in their light trucks than their passenger cars.

Attachments

• resized Porsche.jpg
    resized Porsche.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 603
Sell the Euro- money pit and keep the GM money pit! :biggrin:

If not I'll bid a ****ping $54.95 for the GN and I'll even come and pick it up too... ;)

come on, you're asking TB enthusists :p
It seems to me that you have put more work into the GN...stick with it

Keep the GN, you just fixed a bunch of stuff on it already! I should know, I was helping :) Did you do the injectors/chips yet?

I actually haven't done much on the car since we worked on it--I've been in a holding pattern since I got the Porsche. I still have the MSD 50#'ers, the SMC kit, and the Turbotweak chip to pop in (probably a day's worth of work--you know that I work slowly). If I cut down the fuel pressure (currently at 45 line off), that will probably cure my stinky gas smell, and replace it with springtime fresh scent of methanol...

I am part owner of a business that buys and sells Porsches, and was able to get my '87 for a very good price. I do that on the side, however, and am probably going to call that quits this year (it's not fun anymore). So I will lose a facility to work on the car, but like the Buick, there is a good web forum (http://www.pelicanparts.com).

Both cars are in my garage right now (the wife isn't thrilled about that, but overall she's pretty cool about my "addiction"). The Buick has been buffed and detailed and looks fabulous, and the Porsche is a work of art. I REALLY wish I could keep both, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen (too many other financial responsibilities). $100K would set me up perfectly to keep everything and finish the house, but whose got that kind of bread laying around???

I'd say my main concern is the fact that the Buick runs so rich and stinks like gas all the time, so I wouldn't take a ride out with my wife and daughter. It would also need the AC to be operational and the brakes converted to vaccuum to be a safe and useable family cruiser. That right there is about $1000 shot, so is the Buick really that much cheaper to own/maintain???

The main concern on the Porsche is that parts are VERY expensive and labor, if needed, is also astronomical. The car does not need anything right away (clutch is not slipping so I'm going to leave it alone), and only has a few minor oil leaks (hey--looks like Porsches are the German 2nd cousin of Buicks). I don't find either car to be all that easy to work on, but I'd say the Buick is a bit easier due to the room.

Cars have always been my hobby, and I guess I'm looking for closure on this by the Spring so I can focus on refining one of the cars. I change my damn mind every day. Sometimes I feel like getting rid of both cars and finishing up the work on my house. I need someone to just smack me and tell me that there are more important things in life than worrying about this sh!t.

BTW, I've added some pics to the album link at the top of this page.

Guhan

green95ss said:
$100K would set me up perfectly to keep everything and finish the house, but whose got that kind of bread laying around??

8 meatpackers out west...DAMNIT!

canadianregal said:
I would give up a kindey for a GN
Don't say that too loud, my wife is in that business.
She knows many people who would litteraly take you up on it!

Keep the GN. Driving the porsche may be enjoyable but after a while you will start getting challanges from other drivers and realise you wish you were in the GN so you could teach them a lesson. In 40 years of driving performance cars of all types I have never been challanged to a road race. They were all challanges of acceleration. I sold my viper and bought a Turbo Regal and have enjoyed every minute of the exchange.

rtviper said:
Keep the GN. Driving the porsche may be enjoyable but after a while you will start getting challanges from other drivers and realise you wish you were in the GN so you could teach them a lesson. In 40 years of driving performance cars of all types I have never been challanged to a road race. They were all challanges of acceleration. I sold my viper and bought a Turbo Regal and have enjoyed every minute of the exchange.

Its not like the Grand National handles horribly anyways...

If you keep the 911, drop in a Subaru 2.5 H4 motor with a GT35R turbo in it. Imagine over 500rwhp in that beauty of a porsche. :eek:
Otherwise I vote GN.

Nick