Motor mount issue - dropping motor in

85Dan85TType

I (and a couple of friends) were trying to drop my motor in on Saturday, and the passenger side motor mount kept hanging up on the piece of the crossmember it attaches to; we COULD NOT get this sucker to line up (both mounts are new). Eventually, we detached it from the motor, it still wouldn't line up, even with no motor in the way. Instead of that one, we pulled out the original mount, it lined up just fine. Now we're having hell attaching it to the engine.

Is there a better way to go about this? Does the passenger side need to be done first? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan

I bet it is molded wrong. Discount auto store??

That was our thought, that it was molded wrong. I purchased it from one of the vendors on here. I don't want to mention which one, since every other item purchased from them has been wonderful. Every once in a while you just get a bad one, no harm done.

Also, Lee, I thought you had disappeared! I'd heard you'd moved to BG, and hadn't seen your old username in a while; was looking around in the HA section and saw a post of yours and figured it out. The motor I'm dropping in is the 4.1 I purchased from you in '05 (well, then shortblock anyway). I believe I still have some things of yours if you would like them sent to you (lightweight hot-air crank pulley, and some other pieces)

I'd forgotten about the wheel-well trick! Thanks for reminding me Chuck, I will try that when I get home!

Hi,
The new mount is probably pretty stiff. Trying to get it in there while unbolted is counterproductive,and lots of work. The prybar through the wheel well idea sounds good. Check your trans angle maybe lower it a bit.

That was our thought, that it was molded wrong. I purchased it from one of the vendors on here. I don't want to mention which one, since every other item purchased from them has been wonderful. Every once in a while you just get a bad one, no harm done.

Also, Lee, I thought you had disappeared! I'd heard you'd moved to BG, and hadn't seen your old username in a while; was looking around in the HA section and saw a post of yours and figured it out. The motor I'm dropping in is the 4.1 I purchased from you in '05 (well, then shortblock anyway). I believe I still have some things of yours if you would like them sent to you (lightweight hot-air crank pulley, and some other pieces)

I'd forgotten about the wheel-well trick! Thanks for reminding me Chuck, I will try that when I get home!

Just asking but did you get motor mounts for a 4.1? If so do you have them on the correct side?

Just asking but did you get motor mounts for a 4.1? If so do you have them on the correct side?

I was under the impression that the motor mounts were the same. This is a production block by the way. The motor mounts that I purchased look entirely identical to each other.

Along the same lines, the mounts fit to the block just fine. Have you put together a 4.1? What mounts did you use? I didn't see any differences on the bigger vendors that sell here (Kirban's & Cotton's). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes i have a production 4.1 too and it droppped right in, the part numbers for the right and left are different..

mounts

Go to autozone or other discount store and get new Left and Right mounts. They are different !!! 4.1 or 3.8, same mounts, but left and right. Look closely and you will see a difference. Do you know Gary Cravens? If so drop my stuff off with him.

I don't know Gary, but if you get me his username on here I'll try to get in contact with him. I assume he's in the Muncie/Anderson area?

Since I already have new mounts, I assume I just switched sides. I'll try to flip them and see what I get when I have time this weekend; if that doesn't work I'll run out and get a different set. I appreciate the help guys!

Gary Cravens

I don't know Gary, but if you get me his username on here I'll try to get in contact with him. I assume he's in the Muncie/Anderson area?

Since I already have new mounts, I assume I just switched sides. I'll try to flip them and see what I get when I have time this weekend; if that doesn't work I'll run out and get a different set. I appreciate the help guys!

He live near you (real Close if I remember right)--I'll contact him and make sure it is OK. He is not on this board. He has a burnt or rust colored 78-80 Malibu--Beautiful car. Show car.!!!! How is your LITTLE brother doing? He also had a Ruggles book of mine.

Matt's doing well. He's over in Columbus, OH now. I keep trying to convince him that he needs another TR so we can both have one. :wink:

There's a bunch of videos of him doing his lifting on youtube now. He's gotten scary big: up to 1100+ squat and around 800 on bench/deadlift.