Motor has been sitting - thoughts?

MSA231V6

Hello, all. I have a 109 block that has been sitting for a while after a rebuild in 1999. The shortblock is complete with the exception of a cam. The motor has been covered the entire time (engine stand w/ plastic) inside of a controlled temperature environment. The motor appears to be in really good shape, with no visible signs of wear, weathering, etc... The only debris or abnormality noticed at all was a slight bit of dust in a few cylinders. So the question is this... What is recommended as a "servicing" procedure for a block that has been sitting for so long? I do not want to disassemble it again, but some parts (main caps, etc.) can be worked on if more assembly lube should be applied anywhere. Or will a thorough cleaning and pre-lube prior to starting do the trick?

Thanks for your help - all opinions welcome.

Michael

MSA231V6 said:
Hello, all. I have a 109 block that has been sitting for a while after a rebuild in 1999. The shortblock is complete with the exception of a cam. The motor has been covered the entire time (engine stand w/ plastic) inside of a controlled temperature environment. The motor appears to be in really good shape, with no visible signs of wear, weathering, etc... The only debris or abnormality noticed at all was a slight bit of dust in a few cylinders. So the question is this... What is recommended as a "servicing" procedure for a block that has been sitting for so long? I do not want to disassemble it again, but some parts (main caps, etc.) can be worked on if more assembly lube should be applied anywhere. Or will a thorough cleaning and pre-lube prior to starting do the trick?

Thanks for your help - all opinions welcome.

Michael

Mike,
The bottom end will be fine, that assembly lube is not going to deteriorate. I would clean what you can get to,complete the assembly, prime the oil system on the stand, install it and let her rip!