Moog 5658 front spring results

jdpolzin

OK guys, as many of you know I have been experimenting with different spring in my car. I ultimate goal was to accomplish a 2" - 2.5" drop on the front of my GN using AFX spindles, which lower the car 7/8, and drop springs. Well from other peoples testimonies and my research, I decided on purchasing MOOG springs instead of spending the big $$$ on actuall lowering springs. So I decided on the MOOG 5658 springs expecting them to lower the car 1" and hope for more! Well the resluts are in:

Tire size 245/40R18 Height of tire 25.7"
Bottom and fender lip in center of wheel well to ground: 25.5"
AFX Spindle 7/8"
Tire size P215/65R15 Height of tire 26"
Stock height of my Limited from ground to fender 27.5"

So assuming I had a stock tire car and installed MOOG 5658 springs, I figure the drop of the actual springs:

bottom of fender lip would be 25.5 + .15 = 25.65"
Add the height of the spindle 25.65 + .875 = 26.525"
Stock height vs 5658 spring 27.5 - 26.525 = .975"

So as of the first measurements I am calculating basically a 1" drop. Although I have jumped up and down on the front end trying to get the springs seated, I am hoping the springs drop another .25 - .5". I would say that it would be safe to assume a .25 drop. So all in all with my set up the springs should give me a total 1.225" drop! The car sits perfectly, although I wont be able to drive it for a long time and enjoy it!

Attachments

• rsz_1.jpg
    rsz_1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 5,803
More

Attachments

• rsz_2.jpg
    rsz_2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 5,736
  • rsz_4.jpg
    rsz_4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 5,715
  • rsz_6.jpg
    rsz_6.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5,729
  • rsz_AFX_suspension.jpg
    rsz_AFX_suspension.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 5,931
I have the same springs and they lowered mine about 1 1/2 but they are a lot stiffer which is good I guess I hope they dont effect the launch at the track..

Jeremy,

I was ordering some 5658's from Rock Auto about the same time you were posting your results. If the drop is about an inch, I'll be okay. If it is more than an inch, I might have to uses some spacers. I really wish I had 8 inch rims on the front versus 8.5's.

I'm off work next week, so I hope the springs make it to me so I can install them (a fun job as you know).

Rob

Hey Rob, I knoew you would be the first to reply! What was your backspace again? I really think you will be just fine, I actually wish I had 8.5" instead of the 8's! When I ordered them, I was playing it safe by going with the 8's but there would be plenty of room to fit the 8.5's on this set up. I cant remember which brakes you had? Werent they Baers? These C5 brakes push the wheel out 3/8" and I'm running 4.5" backspace. Your car is going to look great!!! I love those wheels!

Hey Rob, I knoew you would be the first to reply! What was your backspace again? I really think you will be just fine, I actually wish I had 8.5" instead of the 8's! When I ordered them, I was playing it safe by going with the 8's but there would be plenty of room to fit the 8.5's on this set up. I cant remember which brakes you had? Werent they Baers? These C5 brakes push the wheel out 3/8" and I'm running 4.5" backspace. Your car is going to look great!!! I love those wheels!

My backspacing is 4.32 inches. I think if I had 4.5 inches of backspacing I would be fine. Yes, I have Baer Brakes and they also push the wheels out slightly more.

I'll install the 5658's next week and go from there. I doubt if it will work out right, as nothing is ever easy on this car for me!

What back spring are you going to run to drop the back down?

Also, what else do you have to do with your car to get it back on the road?

Rob

Rob, I really dont think you'll have any problem with that backspace, I seem to have plenty of room on the outside. Im using BellTech rear springs in the back. They are supposed to lower the car 1.5" and I just have a stock set of wheels on the back until the frame gets notched. I'll be doing the LS1 rear disc swap once it's notched as well. I'm going to drive to Ohio in a couple weeks to pick the Stage 2 motor up so I'll be working on the motor swap. Also will be installing the aluminum core support during the motor swap. I basically just a have a TON of work to do. I'm trying to get the TType done while waiting on parts for the GN. Seems like all I do is spend time with my son and work on the car! I cant complain too much though, I value every moment I spend with all three of them!

I have the same springs and they lowered mine about 1 1/2 but they are a lot stiffer which is good I guess I hope they dont effect the launch at the track..

Do you have any pics of your car? I'd love to see!

Sounds good, planning to lower my car this spring as well, if the snow ever stops. I think I went with 5658s too.

What kind of spindel & hub are you running? Looking for info on your front breake/suspension setup.

DAMN!!! Jeremy spot on, man!!! All your messages and thread responses led me to the exact same set up (5413s in the rear) but with different wheels! Glad you were the guinea pig ;) Now I need to get mine the hell done!

YOUR CAR IS LOOKING SLAMMIN', BRO!!! Good job!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nero, let me know when you buy the kit from SCandC. I'll help you out with the brake parts and where to get them. You'd be suprised at the difference in cost between companies.

My front end set up is this:

Boxed stock lowers with steering stopper removed

MOOG K6421 replacement bushings ( I chose these over the Del-Alum bushings for the simple fact that the rubber is harder than the old replacement bushing and I didnt really want a stiffer ride since the spring rate will stiffen the front end up already a little and the polly bushings are junk in moving parts.

ZQ8 S-10 bump stops from SCandC

1LE 36mm hollow front swaybar with Poly bushings and new end links (Thanks TSpool!)

ATS spindle w/C5 hubs

ACDelco drilled and slotted C5 rotors (Originally purchased non-drilled and slotted rotors because they actually function better than the drilled and slotted with a good set of soft pads but I wanted the look)

ZO6 calipers

Raysbestos ceramic pads (I originally purchased HAWK pads but decided to use these with the slotted rotors because they wont dust as much and will last a little longer even though stopping power will be compromised some. But, this car is a driver not an Autocrosser so the loss shouldnt matter too much)

MOOG 5658 springs

All new MOOG steering components

Double adjustable SPC upper control arms

Wheels are 18" Intro Pentias and the fronts are 8" wide with 4.5" backspace

Falken Azenis P245/40R18 tires. Although these are expensive tires, I chose these because I wanted a set that are a little stickier and lasted longer so I tried to balance between the two priorities. I read a bunch of reviews on the tires that matched my needed sizes and these fit the application well. The rears are P315/30R18's so there werent much to choose from in this size.

Hope this helps everyone! Good luck and HAPPY MOTORING!!!!

You're welcome Jeremy ;) Actually, the bushings and end links you got from me are the same hard rubber as the 6421 control arm bushings you installed. I have them on my car as well - they don't squeak like poly's.

That's a killer set up - looks awesome! If I had that the car would never leave the garage :eek:

5413s in the rear, eh? I have old Camaro springs here, was going to install them and cut the coil to a desired ride height, but may be worth another $50 for springs if we've come up with a Moog part number that will get a nice drop in the rear. Someone needs to install them and post results just like this thread. :)

Ed, the 5413's lower the rear about an 1.5". These actually are pretty well known among the Monte Carlo guys so it's been tried and true many times. A quick Google of "Moog 5413" will give you many different pictures of G-Bodies with them on. I actually am using BellTechs in the rear because I picked up a set years ago for cheap. The car has a rake to it, with the front end components, that makes for a killer stance!!! Now it's just time to notch the frame and get the rear end done so I can fit the 315's!!!!! -------Jeremy