Modified roller value?

postal

Peoples champ runner up
My TTA has 104k miles on it the paint is spyder cracked but no rust. Front seats and carpet need redone. All the a/c stuff has been removed. It has a $2000+ Ford 9" rear end in it, and built rear suspension. Its set up for a liquid IC (dual tanks, pumps, and lines). The car also has $750 worth of Boston accoustic speakers in it). The car is a pretty decent " 10 footer" except for the rear spoiler thats cracking real bad. It has home made beefy subframe connectors, its all set up for a turbo 400 trans, and basically just needs a cage put i it.

The car pulled 60' times that to my knowledge that where probably about the best of any stock long block TTA out there. The a/c is gone so it could accept a GN-1 or stage headed motor. Add a cage, motor, and turbo 400 trans and it would be ready to run hard.

Any guesses on what you guys would try to ask if this car was yours and you where looking to sell it? I really don't want to sell it but I'm getting so far in hock over my nephews car that I would atleast consider selling this.

The car also has a big stuff 3 fuel management set up in it, big braided fuel lines (but no fuel pump), and an ATR stainless steel cat back exhaust in it. I could also let the modifed ATR liquid IC go with it. Plus I still have the built T400 switch pitch tranny and the 4200/1800 stall switch pitch convertor.

Please feel free to post any guesses of a decent asking price??

Jason

I'd piece it . if ya sold it it would take more than the car is worth to bring it back . :cool:

I have to agree with Dan. I would consider selling the go-fast stuff separately and then selling the remainder of the car. You will never get enough money if you keep the custom goodies as part of the car.

personally I'd be interested in the speakers :)

Did you do something like q-forms for the front speakers?

Oh yeah I'd lose my butt for sure on it! Hey though thats all part of the modified car game isnt it? I really dont want to sell it. I don't think you guys on the board know exactly how close my TTA is from having the stage motor in it and running. When you get into any built motor they are pricey and this is a twin turbo stage set up that was less than $2000 from being done and running.

I've spent over $14,000 on my nephews car in the last 9 months!! (A board member told me my nephews car had nothing to do with my TTA not getting done!) Anyway my nephews car wasn't even close to being done. All he had was a block and a stroker crank from me that he never fully paid for. Other than that all he had was a mildy modded GN and a dream of building something nasty. When I got the car and made the decision to follow through on what he was dreaming about I knew exactly what that meant... "I had to come up with everything but a block and crank". I knew what that meant money wise and I knew what was going to be taking up a spot in my garage when it was all said and done.
A nasty street legal race car that wouldn't be good for much more than racing.

My TTA on the other hand had been built up towards the goal of putting a nasty motor in it some day. I had a long term goal that I was working towards. I wasn't buying some of the stuff thats in my car because I thought my stock long block needed it. I knew where I would eventually be trying to go with it.

The Tally ticker is rolling away on these two cars and after awhile you start to think I'm going to be paying on this stuff for ever!! Plus you also have to start thinking about the back up stuff you need when you get into something this nasty. You have to start shopping for spare blocks and cranks and rods and.... you start collecting that stuff. I already have most of the pieces to build a third stage motor. A crank, a cam, and a set of pistons and I would have a 3rd COMPLETE stage 2 stroker motor.

I only make 60k a year so I'm a regular old middle class guy. I'm not really supposed to be building one stage 2 powered car much less two. I've done an excellent job shopping around and wheeling and dealing and the debt level I'm in on these isn't anywhere near as bad as it rightfully should be. It still added up and I'm really getting to the point of questioning do I really even want two 8 second potential cars. There's no way in hell I'm I going to sell Andy's car, so if I sold the TTA then alot of stuff will clear up for me. The money to finish the TTA, the money I get from selling the TTA, and parts for the TTA can now be the spares for Andy's car so no more money has to be dumped into spare stuff. So even if I lost my butt on selling the TTA as a roller that would still clear up a whole lot of money in the long run.

See what I'm getting at? It isn't so much the TTA itself as it is the over all effect of having to build up my nephews car. Its like asking some one to put 25 grand into someone else's toy and then you can go back to yours. I'm not in the poor house over this and I'm not going to be fileing backruptcy or nothing stupid like that, but my stress level would go WAY down if I sold the TTA.

Jason
p.s: no way I'm I selling my speakers unless I sell the car! I got Boston Accoustics 4.5 pro series components in the dash ($450 for the set). There is alot of work under the dash pad to effectively "box" the speakers in to get good sound quality out of them. In the back I have Boston RM9's which was thier top of the line co-axials that run a component style tweeter ($300 a set). I was driving these speakers off an old school Rockford Fosgate power series 800 watt four channel amp($$$). The end result was a stereo with excellent sound quality even at stupid volume levels. That stereo sounded crystal clear a block away! I have a set of Boston pro series 5.25" components that I was going to mount in this set of q-form kick panel enclosures I got. I just never got that far, and I actually have a set of the Boston pro series 6.53 three way components that I was dying to try to figure out a place to mount them. Thats a $750 set of speakers with 6" woofers, 4" mid ranges, and 1" tweeters. O'well I'm ate up in the head!

I think the answer is (relatively) simple. If you are committed to doing the other car, sell the TTA. If you look at the TTA as a long term project and don't care if it takes 10+ years to finish it, hang onto it because you will never get your money back. Otherwise you are going to drive yourself nuts trying to complete 2 cars at the same time. Most of us don't have the financial resources or patience to do that!

See if ya had done the stupid HG's.. Like me and Surej told ta.. you'd have a running car to sell.

Back under my rock..

:redface:

See if ya had done the stupid HG's.. Like me and Surej told ta.. you'd have a running car to sell.

No guarantee at all that it would be a running car. If I really looked into selling it and people where low balling me like crazy then I would make it a running car. Stock style motors can be had pretty cheap if you keep your eyes out. The only thing I'll be cursing myself for selling is the down pipe and headers. Then I would want to kick my own ass for taking the a/c stuff about. Pretty much though I won't second guess myself about the decision to build a stage motor for the car. I made the decision based on what was going on at the time and I do not have the ability to forsee the future.

I may consider parting the car as much as possible to clear up some money. Then later on when I get other things squared away I may get back into the TTA and build it to be more radical than ever. Like looking into back halfing the car and such. Lighten her way up and put a four link rear suspension in it to go along with the nasty motor.... I would probably be looking at 125mph plus in the 1/8th and close to 160mph in the quarter w/o beating on it too bad.

I'm deffinately not limited by my imagination!

Jason

parting your TTA

Please keep my email address if you decide to part. I might be a buyer for the liquid cooled I.C. Thank you . Gary L. Detroit area :)

stage block and money pit are synonymous. Of course any modified car can be a money pit anyway.

As far as low-balling, that's human nature in anything. I won't waste your time with the ridiculous offers I got for items I put up for sale, hence the reason I don't sell anything anymore. You are going to loose money if you sell the car in-total as-is, unless you get lucky and find someone who is willing to pay. IMHO, that is unlikely. Look at what people like Razor paid for a complete car and then consider what you will get. I know, my car probably has $40K into it and is still a long way from running. I'd be amazed if someone offered me $20K - that would be a 50% loss for a car that has never been run.

Cars suck sometimes!

My advice would be to moth-ball it or put a non-stage motor and get it running and run it or sell it. I may be wrong, but you rarely get big $ for a non-running car.

Hmm I keep getting knocked over the stage stuff. Its obvious that some people think I'm down right stupid for even messing around with stage stuff. I've said it over and over again that my stage motor has very similar money in it than alot of the nice 109 build ups have. I ABSOLUTELY do not understand way people want to give me a hard time about this. If I went out and built a real nice 109 that made about 650 hp or so people would be saying hey kick a$$ and such. Instead I go out and attempt to build a 1200 or so HP motor for similar money and I get crap....

If I was in the GN section and posting this people would support the build up! They would love to see another fast GN out there banging heads with the big boys. How come in the TTA section you get answere like you should have bolted your stock unported heads back onto your 100,000 mile stock motor?? Maybe some people can see why I hardly ever post in this forum anymore.

Anyway. I know what you're saying Mark about the losing my shirt deal. I will probably get down right discusted if people started making me offers. That's why I'm trying to see if I can get a couple of people to throw out a number range that they might try to ask for if the car was there. I have alot of time and work into my TTA and I don't think I could be very subjective about trying to pick a price. So would anyone like to thrown out a number range to start the debate?

Jason

Jason,
The deal is to be enjoying the car. Personally, I enjoy driving mine.. and when it sits for any length of time collecting spider webs.. it doesnt bring me any pleasure.

Case in point, end of Feb this year I snapped a rod.. windowed the block.. yada yada yada.. I started building a motor with the new aftermarket rods, steel crank, etc.. That shortblock should be done in the next 2-3 months... maybe 4 or ???

Yesterday I dropped in, my OEM shortblock I just freshened.. when the other motor is ready.. on a weekend.. i'll swap it out. And keep the car running.

If I was building a stageII motor.. i'd be running my 109 till the stageII was done.. then keep my down time to a minimum.

2 months is too long.. I'd hate to see 2 years. If your trying to win the "Golden Jack Stand Award"... your up there in the race.

So the gripe isnt over your wanting a StageII.. thats a decision.. Which is great.. but when you took on building your nephews car.. you should of taken a few steps back on the TTA. This is the point.. "I told ya so"..

So what is wrong with putting a set of HG's on a 100K mile motor... the Pandoras box scenario you opened by not doing so :redface: Now without headers.. your SOL.

Get a 12 inch Sawzall and cut the car up.. sell the parts on Ebay.. be done with it :wink: and use the money to finish the other project... or get closer.

Your focus was on selling the car, right? One alternative to getting some decent money on the sale would be get the car running with a stock motor. I don't see how you construe that as a knock on your stage build and approach.

As far as a stage build, I just did my stock bottom end with nothing but the rods and crank from the old block and it cost well over $5K. Are you saying I could have bought a stage block, crank, rods and pistons and assembled it with a roller cam for the same money? I've never seen a decent stage block below 2,500-3,500 lately so that's not my experience. Add in the crank, rods and pistons and I don't see how you couldn't be at $5k in parts alone. I'd like to know how you did the build so cheap.

I don't always agree with the philosophy, but a major TR vendor told me "you are either in it or not. Do it right or do it your way". They are certainly correct. Either you are in it and spend the money (no matter how long it takes) or get out because it's not going to get cheaper or easier.

mark b said:
Your focus was on selling the car, right? One alternative to getting some decent money on the sale would be get the car running with a stock motor.

Focus now is selling the car.. sold his headers, cant go back to where it was.

12 inch sawzall :eek:

I disagree about getting the car "running" ... more $$$$ and time AND labor thats out the window !! motors are not cheap ....
ok back to the question this thread was started on ... Ill give ya $1000 !!!!! thats 10 "big one's" :biggrin:
ok back to work on my messes here :rolleyes: :eek: Oh I have dibs on the ol sawzall blades .... hmmm wait a min .. I have a plazma cutter now :wink: