Moderator's E85 Journey Is About To Start!

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I am FINALLY getting ready to take the plunge! My 120 lb injectors and Aeromotive 40 micros SS post filter have arrived from Cotton's. I have a GM flex fuel sensor and a pigtail on their way from E-Bay. I will be get my FAST EFI upgraded to 2.0 by Cotton and I will be ready to start pouring the E85 into my GN! I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Conrad
Albemarle, NC

I have the fuel sensor...Where the heck do I mount it? HELP!!
Conrad
ps...bought my first 10 gallons E85 at Cruizers on Hwy 55 in Durham, NC last weekend. Paid $3.60/gallon for 105 octane. Way better than 100 octane racing gas...$7.50/gal!!!!

But at half the mileage the cost of fuel will be pretty close.;)

Pronto,
Why half? Ethanol requires 30% more fuel and has the advantage of a higher latent heat of vaporization so it does a much better job cooling the incoming air/fuel mixture. Sounds like a "win-win" to me for a turbocharged/supercharged application.
Conrad

But at half the mileage the cost of fuel will be pretty close.;)
But replacing o2 sensors for lead fouling isn't worth it for me plus they dont fail instantly... they get worse over time and then finally fail...

Pronto,
Why half? Ethanol requires 30% more fuel and has the advantage of a higher latent heat of vaporization so it does a much better job cooling the incoming air/fuel mixture. Sounds like a "win-win" to me for a turbocharged/supercharged application.
Conrad
I'm just saying the cost savings on fuel may not be as large as you think over the unleaded 100 when you get all tuned and such. E85 has made great powere no doubt. If we had E85 here I would be seriously looking at it.

But replacing o2 sensors for lead fouling isn't worth it for me plus they dont fail instantly... they get worse over time and then finally fail...
I don't use leaded fuel so my O2 have lasted just fine spraying straight alky.

i have mounted sesnors at 2 different locations. one i mounted the sensor to a plate and bolted to the back strap of the fuel tank closest to the factory muffler location. then just used longer rubber hoses and connected it there. the second one i mounted on the frame rail right in front of the trans crossmember on the driver side. both locations worked perfect. the one at the tank was for.stock lines. the one on the frame was for aftermarket lines. hope this helps

I was referring to Hot Air's post comparing it to 100 which I am sure is leaded...not saying thats the case with you...I have personally seen a friend of mine who ran a lot of race gas in a f.a.s.t. car just like mine is run into terrible issues at the track, I borrowed him my 02 sensor and the car ran tons better...just trying to tie in to the fact that I like E-85 because its higher octane without hurting 02 sensors!
-Dan

Yes, leaded race gas will kill an O2 quickly. That is a great upside to the E85, no O2 degradation.

Sunoco GT100 station is about 1/4 mile from my house. It's out there but expensive. Lots of snow machine guys go there in winter.

The 100 octane that I have run is unleaded so o2 sensor damage was never a problem.
Conrad

My fuel system consists of Aeromotive inline SS filters, Eliminator (external) pump and electronic controller, -8 feed that splits into 2 -6 lines to Champion fuel rails, and Aeromotive FPR & -6 return to tank. I will be installing the GM fuel sensor in a parallel line to the return. Sounds like the best location for sensor is under the car, not under the hood.
Conrad

I'm running a plx sensor and have it located just past the bend at the bottom of the down pipe. Works great.