Michigan - Mechanic needed

jefffoxsr

What shop should I take my car to help me figure out the proper pushrod length.

I don't want to do the measurements myself because I don't know all the ideal valve train geometry specs.

Thanks.

Shoudn't be too tough a job, but may be hard to find a shop that knows how to do that kind of thing. That isn't your normal mom and pop style shop kind of thing. Really just need to ensure the tip that comes in contact with the top of the valve step contacts it and stays near the center. You don't want it to contact the center, then roll off to the side. Know what I mean? You cold bolt on the shaft with either your stockers or rollers, whatever you plan to use, have a stock length pushrod in the hole, and see how it contacts while turning the motor over by hand. You may need an adjustable pushrod checker, but may not. Have there been any changes made to warrant the different lengths? (excessive milling, roller rockers, odd valves, etc)

I'm running a stock block, decked, Gn1 heads, stock valve train with thick shafts and RJ reinforcements.

Get your self a Push Rod checker. Install the checker. use the checker and adjust to remove all play but not too far. Just remove the play. Now open the push rod checker 1/2 turn. remove the rocker arm shafts and measure the length. Do this for every valve. Order your push rods.

Not a really difficult thing to do but it is time consuming. This is one reason why this kind of work can be expensive and time is money.

Thanks a lot. I can do that easily. Do I have to have the cylinder at tdc before taking the measurement?

Also, what is the best way to measure the pushrods? My calipers don't open that wide.

What else do I need to know?

Thanks.

TDC on the compression stroke, or just any time the valve is closed.

i bought a set of digital 12" calipers to measure mine. hth