mercury marauder

KillrV6

Former owner
anyone know anything about these?

how is the quality?
power?
any exceptionaly weak links in the drivetrain?

how much are they?

:confused:

Well, were do I start? The weak link is the engine! The 4.6 is a turd and does not make any power where you need it... down low! overhead cam motors will never make the power that a pushrod can. The car is a bust.. overpriced and terribly underpowered. The car does not make any power till about 7500rpm with all the cams flapping and at least 30 feet of cam chain wanting to sling off. Stay away from this turd, or any overhead cam 4.6 motor.

i spanked one,:D the guy must have thought he had a gn too, nice looking but slow ( maybe it can be tweaked:confused: ) sorry thats about as much as i can say, which is'nt much

They have a really nice interior, and look cool.....if you want a high 15 second daily driver then it's the car for you;)

for what they are I think they are a nice car. Not 13 second cars but it is a sweet motor. Its a Cobra motor without the blower.. 300 hp.

FWIW & IMHO:
Don't like the Chrysler 300C, huh? 300 horse & 380 torque?
I don't see much of a contest here?

If you considering a 300c then you might as well look at w bodys too as there about the same size. When it comes to big RWD American cars the panther platform is all we got left:(

Nice car, put together well. Head turner definately. No low speed balls but pulls decent from 45 on up. Handles excellently and interior has all the comforts. Almost bought one when they came out and a used one last weekend. Nice car for the 17-22k(used) range that will accept mods easily.

TANK!

Did anyone see the cool comercial for this car? It kinda made me
want one. But all Ford was doing was trying to match the Impala
SS. But to do that they would have needed the S.C. from the Cobra.

OR MAYBE

PUT A TURBO ON IT!!!

:cool:

After this car came out I saw in one of the mags that Kenne Bell had put together a supercharger kit for the car that added a lot of power. Broke it into the 13s. I'm not sure what sort of pricing he had on it though and I don't see a specific package for it on their website, though since it is the same motor as the Cobra I'm sure they have something.

http://www.kennebell.net

My own view on the Merc is favorable. I own a 92 Crown Vic and the only thing that slows it down on low end is the 2::73 gears, it torques hard from low end and up. I have over 150k on the original engine (no oil use or leaks), the trans has been done, but that was due to lack of proper maintenance from the previous owner. I get over 23 mpg in my normal daily driving freeway/ street combined. The Merc has taller gears and the 3 valve engine. As far as pushrod engine developing more power than an OHC engine, I won't waste time on that comment.
The 300 is a great car, but a totally different market niche and much smaller inside. For a big boat, the Merc is great on the road, has a very tight turn radius, and is fun to take long drives in. It may be a big car, but has great speed for size, and great drivability comfort.
Just my opinion, but I do have a little experience with a similar car.

Mark

I agree it is a turd. No wonder Mercury stopped making them. I think once the word got out that they were not fast is what killed them. Heck I beat one with my Roadmaster wagon, it wasn't by much but I did give the guy a head start. You might be able to find a good deal on one though.

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
The 300 is a great car, but a totally different market niche and much smaller inside.

I wouldn't say the 300 was "much" smaller inside. My 300M has more legroom in the back seat than a Marauder/Marquis/Crown Vic and the 300C/magnum/Charger are about the same as my 300m. The high doors and low/laid back seating position makes them feel a little smaller, but interior space for 4 adults is similar. They aren't cramped. 400+ lber's may feel cramped because there is no front seat bench seat option to gush all over, but I wouldn't know about that.

I'd guess the 3.5L V6 300 will run with a non marauder Ford and the Hemi's will flat out kill a Marauder, no contest.

Anybody who pays over $20K for a used Marauder is going to be kicking themselves when the Hemi Charger comes out in a few months.

It was Mercurys answer to the Impala SS. If they had wanted to do it right they would have put the S/C 5.4 out of the Lightning in it, that would have been bada$$.

theres a guy here in College Station that had a turbo system installed by Marrillo motorsports in San Antonio on his Marauder. Yes its a 4300 lb tank but one heck of a sleeper. VERY clean install and I think he is running mid 12s.

IIRC the Merc has 3.55 rear gears. Switching to 4.10s and doing some chip/induction work seem to be the "recipe".